Sound problem

mmkostov
mmkostov Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello everyone, 

A couple of days ago I bought Acer Spin 5 SP513-52N and it works great, but I just have one minor problem. Sometimes I hear crackling sound when I play any kind of music or video. And also for example when I receive message in Facebook the crackling sound makes some sort of echo, which is quite unpleasant... Can you please tell me what can I do to try and fix it, because I don't want to send the laptop to service yet, since I hope it's not some kind of manufacturing defect.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    If you haven't tried it yet, click start, enter "troubleshoot", click "play audio", then run troubleshoot audio. Report back. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    If you haven't tried it yet, click start, enter "troubleshoot", click "play audio", then run troubleshoot audio. Report back. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mmkostov
    mmkostov Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited December 2017
    JackE said:
    Hi, @JackE,

I did the troubleshoot and reinstalled the driver. It asked me to turn off the Dolby Audio, but I'll keep it for now, since it makes the sound different. I'll now see if there's problem after the driver was reinstalled. I hope it'll be OK now. If the problem occurs again, I will write again. Thank you for your help!
  • maddymaddy
    maddymaddy Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited January 2018
    I am facing the similar problem. just tried this and it gave me this in detail. Please let me know.
  • JackE
    maddy>>>just tried this and it gave me this in detail.>>>

What 'this' did you try? And what 'this' did 'this' give you? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• FabianK
    FabianK Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Same device, same problem here. 
    The only solution I discovered so far is to deactivate the speaker and activate it again, when the crackling sound appears. Then the noise should be gone. Quite annoying, but I hope Acer Support will fix this issue soon
  • linzeyrn
    linzeyrn Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have the exact same Acer model and am also having the exact same problem.   The Troubleshoot Audio issue doesn't fix it.  Also, I have no luck with Turning the Speaker on or off or disabling the speaker in Device MGR and Enabling it back again.  When the problem starts, sometimes it will eventually fix itself but if you put the computer into sleep and bring it out of sleep, that temporarily fixes it.  I hope this gets resolved soon.  I love everything else about this laptop.
  • MLG
    MLG Member Posts: 1 New User
    Bought the same unit on Jan 11, same problem with speakers. Updated the speaker driver in device manager, partially worked but still had issues with e-mail alerts crackling. Updated my Bios to V1.02, day 3 and no crackling so far! 
  • JackE
    @MLG Thanks for the input. Hope it's a permanent fix for you. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• flowerdealer
    flowerdealer Member Posts: 33 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    I have an Acer Nitro Spin and also seeing this issue. Crackling is gone after restart. 
  • RalfMe
    RalfMe Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

I have the same issue for some reasons with Spin 5, bough 6 weeks ago. A few times it happend when switching to and back tablet mode. But there is no pattern so far. 

Just tried it now and deactivating speakers and activating it again, worked for the moment. Nevertheless, it should't be like that. But it seems to be a software issue. 
  • JackE
    @RalfMe >>>But there is no pattern so far. >>>

Many folks are claiming similar "crackling" audio issues with different models from different mfrs. Many different fixes have been proposed. The latest being to adjust the power plan as shown in this post  https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/555747/#Comment_555747  . Worked for some, not others. The only common factor I can see among all these different machines is that they're all running Windows 10 Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• dustinpatterson
    dustinpatterson Member Posts: 1 New User
    I just bought the Acer spin 5 from costco a couple weeks ago and am having the speaker crackling issue as well. Great computer otherwise. The only thing that works for me is restarting the computer. This is sure disappointing. I hope Acer gets it fixed soon.
  • JackE
    @dustinpatterson Start monitoring CPU usage when this starts to happen. And especially stuff that might be running and consuming resources in the background. Use task manager. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

This seems to be working in another thread:

"That said I've been following these discussions and the most common element I've seen is that the CPU usage has been mentioned as high when it occurs. This would make me wonder if things are being run that need A Lot of the CPU and have a higher priority than the audio system. The crackling could be dropouts/pauses caused by the tasking semaphore.

Before giving up, I would try opening Task Manager, selecting "details", find your audio application, right click on it, select "Set Priority" and try raising it particularly if below "Normal"."

• AlexCe
    AlexCe Member Posts: 1 New User
    I bought the same model two months ago, and i have the same problem. But, today i tried one thing and now the sound is almost perfect. Go to the settings and write "sound" in the search bar. (image 1, sorry for the french menu). The last choice is "enable or disable mono sound". Click and put enable "audio mono"(image2). Since, the sound is better ! 

• JackE
    Thanks @AlexCe . Let us know if it continues to sound OK or the issue re-appears. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• maxell1313
    maxell1313 Member Posts: 1 New User
    But I don't want "almost" perfect, I want there to be no problems whatsoever.  I have a Swift 3 that I got just before Christmas.  As a computer, everything works great, but the audio issues are the last straw.  My audio crackles, and now there's an audio delay whenever I play any video online.  I've tried upgrading the driver, I've tried downloading a new driver, I've used the troubleshoot offer, I have scoured the internet looking for someone from ACER to explain what this problem is and how to fix it.  

Someone from ACER, PLEASE, tell me how to fix this problem!!!!
  • JackE
    @maxell1313 >>>But I don't want "almost" perfect, I want there to be no problems whatsoever.>>>

Click on the ACER service link at the bottom of this webpage and immediately arrange for ACER service to fix the issue. Have the machine's serial no. id (SNID) ready. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• shubhvrm
    shubhvrm Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have Acer spin5 8th generation, there is some annoying sound ( cracking and clicking) coming from inside. I heard that SSD does not make any sound. So tell me from where this sound is coming and how to fix it?. I hope my SSD is okay. 

Thank you.
  • JackE
    @shubhvrm >>>So tell me from where this sound is coming >>>

If none of the suggested solutions in this thread above fix the problem and if the machine is still under warranty,  you should click on the ACER service link at the bottom of this webpage and immediately arrange for ACER service to fix the issue. Have the machine's serial no. id (SNID) ready. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ