Acer Aspire R3, black screen of death -- how do I find correct BIOS recovery name?

2»

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,454 Trailblazer
    >>> noticed that it seem like its in a boot loop but with no visual signs. I can hear the hdd start whining and then stopping in about ten seconds or so.>>>

Have you tried turning the screen on yet with the Fn+F6 or Fn+F5 toggle key combos? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MarkGega
    MarkGega Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

That doesn’t do anything either.
  • JackE
    OK. Try HDMI out to a TV. If still no TV screen (after using the FN+F5 or FN+F6 toggles), then the graphics adapter has been toasted --- perhaps from stray electrostatic damage. If you do get a TV screen, then the LC video ribbon cable connectors probably need to be re-seated at the base of the LCD screen and the mainboard. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MarkGega

Tinkerer

I’ve just remembered that laptop was updating  at the time and when I switched it back on it never did anything. It had mot been used for at least 8 months before that. Because I was on the process of upgrading to an ssd I blamed myself. After reading quite a bit I think it migh be bios. Should I be renaming the extracted raw bios file? Can you point me in the right direction pls?
  • JackE
    What is the full ACER model name and number? But before you try flashing which is really a last resort, try to HDMI out to a TV if you haven't done so already. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MarkGega

Tinkerer

I did try hdmi out both fn+f5/f6 and win+p which works with my other laptop. It try to boot up and in ten sec will turn off and will do this cycle endlessly. Its a Acer Aspire r3 131t-c6sl
  • JackE
    The BIOS recovery docs are very poorly written & incomplete for this product. So at this point, I can only suggest two possible fixes. (1) Try downloading one of the BIOS files that's close to the date you acquired the machine from the ACER site https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/6074?b=1
    I think these are zipped files. So run them on another computer and check for any ROM, BIN, WPH or FD extension files that we might be able to use in a crisis disk FN+ESC BIOS recovery.
    Or (2) Try to "blindly" stop the cycle by shutting the machine completely off. Then turn it back on and immediately start tapping the F2 key. If the machine doesn't shut off, it might mean you're into the BIOS menu even though it's not displayed. If its stays on, press F9 to try to load BIOS defaults. Wait a few seconds. Then press F10 to save settings and exit. Wait a few more seconds, then enter Y(es). It might try to boot but still with no screen. Then just press and hold the power button till it shuts off. Then turn it on again and hope for the best. Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• MarkGega

Tinkerer

I thought I should post this as it seems a few people had this same problem. After upgrading ram and ssd laptof failed to turn back on. The so called ‘black screen of death’. I solved it by disconnecting the main battery and CMOS battery connector situated right next to the wireless card. Left it for a couple of hours, plugged everything back in incl the back bottom cover screws and turned on like nothing had happened.
  • JackE
    @MarkGega Thanks for the update Mark.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ