Acer Aspire Switch 10, webcam won't be detected

Waawe
Waawe Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hola, like other unlucky fellows, after the update to Windows 10, the camera of my Acer Aspire Switch 10 can't be detected. I have already applied the patch suggested in a dated post, yet to no avail. I have experimented with drivers which detect my device as Intel Imaging Signal Processor 2400 or AVStream Camera. I have also tried different drivers for Camera Sensor OV2720. The results? After running the camera application, either the camera is not detected or it is but the image is black and after capturing the app freezes. Do you have some advice for the poor man?

Waawe

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,329 Trailblazer
    Search settings for "restore point" that the Win10update should've automatically created.

Nastavení vyhledávání pro "bod obnovení", který měl Win10update automaticky provést.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Waawe

Tinkerer

Sadly, this function has been off. There aren't any restore points. :-(
  • JackE
    Is the camera also gone in Device Mgr imaging? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Waawe

Tinkerer

No, it's there. Detected as Intel Imaging Signal Processor 2400 or AVStream Camera, depending on the drivers.  (See the appx.)
  • JackE
    So they are detected! Does Device Mgr show any red or yellow driver warnings? Have you tried to let Win10 search for updated drivers while connected on-line? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Waawe

Tinkerer

No warnings, everything looks perfect, drivers updated, yet, when I run the camera application, I get an error message, such as the one posted above. Seemingly I would need an old driver running flawlessly under Windows 8? Google tells me quite a few users have had similar problems with laptops of different brands. Sadly, I haven't been able to find a remedy. 
  • JackE
    Try this freeware download for pc camera software, viewplaycap. It's a compressed rar file. Detects both internal and external cameras. Jack E/NJ    www.kkmoom.com/pc.rar 

Jack E/NJ

• Waawe

Tinkerer

Dear JackE, thank you a lot for your effort, I appreciate it lots. I tried out Viewplaycap. When the Intel Image Signal Processor 2400 driver is loaded, the viewplaycap freezes after the launch of capturing. When the AV Stream Camera driver is loaded, the viewplaycap seemingly starts capturing, yet yielding a corrupted file which can't be played. (see the appx.)
  • Waawe

Tinkerer

Are there any other devices except for the imaging device and camera sensor to be considered? I've so far experimented with the drivers of these two items only. 
  • JackE
    What are you using to open the "corrupted" viewplaycap file? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Waawe

Tinkerer

You were right. Now, I have tried VLC player, and it would play the file. The sound had been recorded OK, yet there is no video shown.
  • Waawe

Tinkerer

More and more evidence suggests there will be AV Steam Camera inside?
  • JackE
    >>>Now, I have tried VLC player, and it would play the file. The sound had been recorded OK, yet there is no video shown. >>>

What is the file extension name on the file that ViewPlayCap made? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Waawe

Tinkerer

it's an .avi
  • JackE
    Have you tried the other format(s) and resolutions that might be available in your version of ViewPlayCap? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Waawe

Tinkerer

I have tried videocapturing (.avi and .asf) and taking a snap(.bmp, .jpg), no picture, sadly.
  • JackE
    Have we yet tried to uninstall the cameras from Device Manager --- exit --- then re-boot and let Windows re-detect and re-install the drivers? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Roedeer
    Roedeer Member Posts: 2 New User
    Dear Jack, I'm sorry for being unresponsive due to Easter holiday. Yes, the uninstall of the drivers and the devices has been performed a few times by now. Maybe, a clear installation of the Windows might be the way? 
  • JackE
    OK. Make sure the machine is completely shut off. Then turn it on and immediately press and hold the ALT key while tapping the F10 key. A recovery screen should appear. Follow directions to reset the machine to a factory-fresh state as in the video below. Jack E/NJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpzLJRAZldA

Jack E/NJ

• Roedeer
    Roedeer Member Posts: 2 New User
    JackE, thanks a lot for all you have done for me. I guess I will give it a break. Maybe wait for Windows 11 or buy a real adult laptop. I don't want to do all that backup stuff at the moment.

You've been very helpful anyway. Cheers. 

Waawe