Acer please fix the fan curve on Aspire VX5

Adrian_RO
Adrian_RO Member Posts: 10 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
The Access control app is not useful at all. Temps on both the CPU and GPU go up fast and the fan controller does not care.

Maby you could just add a button in the bios settings for that since linux users may experience the same problem.

Please support this topic maby Acer will take this into consideration.

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    The fans' speed don't change according to temperature, but according to how much the system is loaded. Undervolt your CPU and the temps of both CPU and GPU will drop.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Sorig
    Sorig Member Posts: 19

Tinkerer

If this is true then this is a terrible design choice. I wonder whose idea at Acer this was. That is downright stupid.

"Let's just let the CPU temps get so hot in the 90's until the CPU itself thermal throttles, rather than set a fan curve to keep the CPU temperature under 85c at all times, no matter the load, because you know, the ambient temperature is different everywhere but who cares about that? right?"

OP, undervolting is the only thing you can do on this laptop if you want lower temperatures.

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Repasting is the 2nd option.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Sorig
    Sorig Member Posts: 19

Tinkerer

Repasting does not help that much on this laptop because of the stock fan curve.

I repasted a VX15. (With no undervolt) the CPU temperatures dropped to the 70's under load the first day and two days later went back to 90C+.

I used a premium grade thermal paste. The reason why the temps went back up is because the fan curve stayed the same.

You can use the best thermal paste in the world but there's only so much it can do on its own. This fan curve will let the CPU heat up until it throttles.

Undervolting helps keep it under thermal throttling.

• Adrian_RO
    That is to my opinion a very stupid thing to do. If I run CSGO for example the game does not load the system that much but the temps go very hi. Fan curve should be based on temps not system load !
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

have you already checked if any BIOS update is available on support website?

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Adrian_RO
    It's up to date. Note that you need to reinstall Windows after update.
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

Really?

no bootable device error?

normally this happens when BIOS was set to Legacy and after the update the default setting is UEFI or viceversa.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Adrian_RO
    Didn't check the bios settings before updating it. I was surprised it didn't have a UEFI interface. They rolled out 2 bios updates on the same month one on the 22 and the other on 2017/07/26 ... Now we are 2017/09/13 and nothing...
  • Adrian_RO
    I've hurd that Nvidia now encrypted the bios on the 10 series cards maby that's why it's harder for the bios updates to come out or... The Acer teem moved on with other projects putting the VX5 on hold
  • Adrian_RO

Thinking of hacking the unit adding my own arduino based PWM fan controller

https://www.barnesian.com/arduino-powered-smart-fan-controller/

• ダージリン様
    ダージリン様 Member Posts: 88 Fixer WiFi Icon
    same problem right here lol...  still looking foward for the solution 
  • Martinroldam
    Martinroldam Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    I've been experimenting a lot with the embedded controller, and figured out that, registers 176,179 and 180 have some correlation with the changing of the fan speed. I'm going to make some more tests in linux to see if it is possible at all to create a fancontrol profile for nbfc. Any help would be usefull...
  • Wh1t3Rose
    Wh1t3Rose Member Posts: 4 New User
    After 3 days of exploring the embedded controller, i've managed to change the fan speed. It has been one day since the mod and no issues appeared, even thought, i would not encourage anyone to do so, DO AT YOUR OWN RISK. 
    My model is: Acer Aspire VX 15 VX5-591G-54PG, but it should work in any VX15/VX5. 
    1: Download and install RWEverything (it is free).
    2: Open the App, and go to EC (embedded controller) - located at top middle.

All this hex numbers constitute the EC, whenever you click on one of them, their decimal value will be displayed in red on the top left of the table.

3: Locate the position "189", which its value will be "52", change this value to "4E" and, after 1 minute, both fans will be spinning at full speed (jet engine like).

The "52" value (standard) let the fans at AUTO, while "4E" spool them to FULL. 

I'm not sure about why/how this works or even if it causes any damage (which i find unlikely).
    I will do a proper Notebook FanControl (NBFC) profile in the furute, maybe including some other fixes, I will also keep this thread up to date in any issues it may happen in my system.
    Have you been able to successfully dump and read the DSDT? I have been trying to do this but I get compilation errors in DSDT editor and iasl command line. The DSDT is full of code errors and bugs. I was able to fix one but I can't fix them all.
  • J_O_R_D_A_N
    J_O_R_D_A_N Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

After 3 days of exploring the embedded controller, i've managed to change the fan speed. It has been one day since the mod and no issues appeared, even thought, i would not encourage anyone to do so, DO AT YOUR OWN RISK. 
    My model is: Acer Aspire VX 15 VX5-591G-54PG, but it should work in any VX15/VX5. 

All this hex numbers constitute the EC, whenever you click on one of them, their decimal value will be displayed in red on the top left of the table.

3: Locate the position "189", which its value will be "52", change this value to "4E" and, after 1 minute, both fans will be spinning at full speed (jet engine like).

I'm not sure about why/how this works or even if it causes any damage (which i find unlikely).
    I will do a proper Notebook FanControl (NBFC) profile in the furute, maybe including some other fixes, I will also keep this thread up to date in any issues it may happen in my system.
    this sure is a great fix man, thanks a lot, tho it'd be nice if i were able to control how fast the fans are spinning I've read on a GitHub page that you could (after you've figured out the position of the fan controller) you could try and change the values until you find the values that sets the fans to a desired speed, I've tried a bunch of numbers on the position 189 and they all seem to set the fans at 100% gradually until (as said above) it reaches this "jet-like " speed and it gets annoyingly loud, tho I must say my laptop used to throttle like crazy reaching +95C after Repasting , Undervolting , UnderClocking my cpu in the power options (on windows) to 75% i get 70C with the fans on auto and 61C-65C while the fans on 100% also when the fans are on 100% the keyboard area as well as the underside of the laptop seems to be pretty chill .
  • Deserys
    Deserys Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Can you describe when your temps go high? And how high?
    Because i run 1.06 Bios with stock paste and laptop runs outstandingly well. Room temp is no higher then 22C tho.
  • J_O_R_D_A_N
    J_O_R_D_A_N Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited March 2018
    Deserys said:
    Can you describe when your temps go high? And how high?
    Because i run 1.06 Bios with stock paste and laptop runs outstandingly well. Room temp is no higher then 22C tho.
    temps only get as high as I said earlier when gaming, other than that the laptop stays chill, with fans kicking every once in a while.
  • WaffiqA
    WaffiqA Member Posts: 1 New User

its work my friend..
  • Wh1t3Rose
    Wh1t3Rose Member Posts: 4 New User
    edited April 2018

Have you found a way to make a NBFC profile yet? I've been trying but failing to get it right.