I have an Aspire 5600U and upgraded to Windows 10 now my Wifi settings are gone.

MikeKaz
MikeKaz Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 18 in 2018 Archives

is there a toggle switch or keyborard code for the Wifi on the hardware.

I was on with Microsoft all last night and they think its on the hardware but i cant find a switch.

Can someone please help?   Wifi is not listed under Network Connections at all anymore and i cant figure out how to turn it on.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

if you click on the notification icon or press windows logo key + a

is the wifi toggle button available on Action centre?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • MikeKaz

nope

• IronFly

Can you check if it's listed under network adapter on Device manager?

Windows logo key + x
    click on Device manager
    click on View tab and choose Show hidden devices
    click on network adapters

• MikeKaz

when i do that there are 2 listed as Microsoft Wifi and when i go into properties it says the device is not connected to the computer and that the best driver is being used for each.  I think this is a hardware switch or key stroke to turn on the wifi which somehow got turned off.   it is really frustrating that you cant get a comprehensive manual online or with the original computer.

• IronFly

can you take a screenshot of this 2 WiFi devices?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer

According to the User Manual there should be a WiFi toggle slide switch on the front edge, just left of the right speaker.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • MikeKaz

what manual?  Where can i find that?

I dont know what you mean by front edge or thr right speaker?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer

The manual is on the Acer support site, in the Drivers and Manuals section. You can find it by entering your serial number, product name or as I did by choosing the 5600 from a list of Aspire notebooks. Once there choose the Documents tab.

The front edge is the area below the keyboard at the front of your laptop, the speakers have grills in front of them on the right and left sides of the front edge.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Kmor
    Kmor Member Posts: 2 New User
    I am having the same issue with my Acer 5600u Desktop.  The problem is that Acer does not have an updated driver for Windows 10 so during the update it was removed.  My original upgrade to 10 allowed the driver to stay, but with the update this morning, it was gone.  I tried to download the driver that Acer has and it only has a driver for 8.1 and that does not work.  Is anyone having any luck fixing this problem?  I have spent the evening on the phone with Microsoft and it hasn't gotten anywhere.

• snyder
    snyder Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have the same issue as Kmor.  Spent the last two days with 4 microsoft techs, no resolution.
  • marstx
    marstx Member Posts: 2 New User
    Has anyone found a solution to this? I just had the same problem. Wound up uninstalling the Qualcomm driver AR5BWB222 and now have no internet connectivity and no driver after reboot. Any advice??
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited March 2018
    @marstx

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/536703/aspire-tc-605-updated-now-no-wifi

After you unplug your computer from the electrical outlet, and the AR5BWB222 starts working again, the simplest thing to do is to connect your computer to the router via ethernet and windows will automatically download and re-install your WiFi driver.

Or possibly you can get the latest driver from link below.

https://www.ath-drivers.eu/

https://www.ath-drivers.eu/atheros-wireless-drivers.html
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

A device that is not working does not always appear in Device Manager. May need to select View and Show Hidden Devices. Does the WIFI driver show up then & if so will probably have an error with code.

• ronin551
    ronin551 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I found the solution on a different thread.  Shut down the system, unplug the power, wait 15 minutes, and power back up.  Sounds crazy but it worked for my ZS600.
  • DRutkay
    DRutkay Member Posts: 3 New User
    I had the same issue when i did a fresh install of Win 10.  The Wifi would not turn on. It gave the options to turn on manually, in an hour, 4 hours, or in one day.  Naturally none of these options worked.  I managed to find a newer driver (using the LAN) then what Win 10 had and was able to get it to install finally.   Then the wifi eventually turned on and worked.  This took about 2 hours to accomplish.
  • JordanB
    Thats' why I posted the link in previous post.

I'll post it again in case anyone missed it.  Click on the link below.

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/536703/aspire-tc-605-updated-now-no-wifi
  • marstx
    marstx Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks. I unplugged for 15 mins and when I tried to turn on again - nothing happened. Can't turn on and system seems fried. :s Now looking for another computer and migrating data off hard drive. Appreciate the suggestions.
  • JordanB
    @marstx

Sorry to hear that.  I hope you can try a different electrical outlet and get it working.

There's about three different Qualcomm/Atheros wifi modules that have had a little trouble with Windows 10 fall Creator.  The most common one with the problem is that AR5BWB222.
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

First use a DVM and see if there is the proper voltage from the power adapter (probably 19v DC). May have just lost the adapter.