FAQ - CPU, GPU, Temps, FPS, Settings, & Other Info

Answers

• Sammie4388
    Sammie4388 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I just pulled my Helios 300 out of the box 4 days ago. I have always had it on a cooking stand. I notice while playing WoW (and running nothing else but predator sense) that I have to turn my fan speeds to max. And even on max they occasionally spike to 80* (rare but it happens) temps sit in the 60’s*C to 73*C right out of the box. I know the max temp is around 85* so it worries me when I see temps of 80* spiking on a brand new laptop. Is this normal? Should I contact Acer? I bought this because I wanted something to be able to handle WoW well....
  • Fastjhone8
    Fastjhone8 Member Posts: 50 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    I saw this after formated my pc becuz freesing my pc 😂😂😂😣😥
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited March 2018
    I just pulled my Helios 300 out of the box 4 days ago. I have always had it on a cooking stand. I notice while playing WoW (and running nothing else but predator sense) othat I have to turn my fan speeds to max. And even on max they occasionally spike to 80* (rare but it happens) temps sit in the 60’s*C to 73*C right out of the box. I know the max temp is around 85* so it worries me when I see temps of 80* spiking on a brand new laptop. Is this normal? Should I contact Acer? I bought this because I wanted something to be able to handle WoW well....
    Well seeing as how these CPUs are *designed to run at 90+ C I don't understand what the issue is... those temps are actually quite good.

As to your comment about purchasing an Acer.. I'm afraid no matter what laptop you get with the HQ series CPU will reach those temperatures.

Anyway there is a tweak for temps on YouTube using throttlestop that lowers temps significantly and prolongs battery life.

There's two videos, the throttlestop remix video is more advanced (best for temps) but the regular throttlestop video works great.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    - Hotel Hero
  • TcStrikerS
    TcStrikerS Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

somehow i can't change both Processor power management Minimum and Maximum.
    Its automatically set to 100 and can't change.
    any way to fix this ?
    Model : Predator G3-572
    CPU : i7-7700HQ
    GPU : GTX 1060

tried update BIOS but still not work.

• Skelomorph
    Skelomorph ACE Posts: 463 Pioneer
    any way to fix this ?

Can you provide a screen shot? There shouldn't be anything preventing you from changing these values.

Is there an option asking you to 'change advanced settings'?

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss
  • TcStrikerS

Tinkerer

any way to fix this ?

Can you provide a screen shot? There shouldn't be anything preventing you from changing these values.

Skelo
    here https://imgur.com/V6GcfKZ
    even i changed those 100% to something its always return to 100% 
    also i dont see any Change advanced setting 
  • large_elvis
    large_elvis Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited March 2018
    Any way to tweak settings for Microsoft Edge or Chrome (video streaming), and/or youtube?
  • Skelomorph
    Any way to tweak settings for Microsoft Edge or Chrome (video streaming), and/or youtube?
    Tweak them how? Do you want like, YouTube extensions to customize YouTube? Or are you experiencing issues?

Skelo
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

- Dr. Seuss
  • Skelomorph
    any way to fix this ?

Skelo
    Try looking in your programs list for anything that contains 'Power Management'. There must be a third-party program that is reverting your settings on the laptop.

Skelo

- Dr. Seuss
  • large_elvis

Tinkerer

Tweak them how? Do you want like, YouTube extensions to customize YouTube? Or are you experiencing issues?

Skelo

Went through your faq and it helped, but I still get the occasional stuttering on streaming video and/or youtube. I am just wondering if it's best to leave it on the intel integrated gpu, or to go into NVidia and force that gpu to handle edge, chrome and vlc. For vlc they it is greyed out, but you can rename it vlc2.exe and it is selecteable by the NVidia gpu.
  • TcStrikerS

Tinkerer

any way to fix this ?

Skelo
    Try looking in your programs list for anything that contains 'Power Management'. There must be a third-party program that is reverting your settings on the laptop.

Skelo
    https://i.imgur.com/pCdtmuM.png
    i'm quite sure i dont have its maybe.
    can you take a look ? those are all of my program installed

• Red-Sand

Skelo

Went through your faq and it helped, but I still get the occasional stuttering on streaming video and/or youtube. I am just wondering if it's best to leave it on the intel integrated gpu, or to go into NVidia and force that gpu to handle edge, chrome and vlc. For vlc they it is greyed out, but you can rename it vlc2.exe and it is selecteable by the NVidia gpu.
    On chrome disable hardware acceleration
    - Hotel Hero
  • large_elvis

Tinkerer

Red-Sand said:

Skelo

On chrome disable hardware acceleration

Thanks. I disabled it in internet options, chrome and vlc. I'll see if that helps. 
  • Saad98
    Saad98 Member Posts: 60 Devotee WiFi Icon
    I tried the solution for FPS drops but that process made me laptop (G3-572) worse. It made more fps drops and lot buggy. Any other solution? My laptop's specs are:
    Intel core i5 7th Gen
    8GB RAM
    1 TB HDD
    128 GB SSD
    1050ti graphics card.
    How to get a proper solution ASAP
  • Skelomorph
    Saad98 said:
    I tried the solution for FPS drops but that process made me laptop (G3-572) worse. It made more fps drops and lot buggy. Any other solution? My laptop's specs are:
    Intel core i5 7th Gen
    8GB RAM
    1 TB HDD
    128 GB SSD
    1050ti graphics card.
    How to get a proper solution ASAP
    If you want a 'proper' solution we need way more information that that, plus there is not just 1 solution, but multiple to attempt:

Whats game are you lagging with (some games require 12GB+ RAM)?
    What applications are running when gaming?
    Have you undervolted?

Skelo

- Dr. Seuss
  • Robitzik
    Robitzik Member Posts: 68 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Hmm, looks like i wasn't credited for the EqualizerAPO post with volume normalization, preamp and fix for microphone lowering the system volume disabling Dolby when in use. Anyway, good job, very neat, informative and well laid out post with all the essential info! Sup ven98, how's your laptop holding up? Just repasted again my GX-792, but this time, liquid metal, Conductonaut specifically. The results are unbelievable, will make a post with some info, procedures for anyone interested in the process, and also some tests with temperatures and benchmarks. For now i have only one hint: goodbye thermal throttling, welcome power throttling, this is how far liquid metal repaste can get you on a laptop where the real bottleneck is not the cooling system!
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Interestingly Robitzik, the laptop(actually the thermal paste) is holding up really well. No change in temperatures whatsoever compared to when I first bought it. Only GPU and CPU combined stress manage to bring the CPU temperature up to 96C(overclocked on turbo with 3.9GHz for 4 cores and -100mV undervolt), but still no drop in frequency.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Interestingly Robitzik, the laptop(actually the thermal paste) is holding up really well. No change in temperatures whatsoever compared to when I first bought it. Only GPU and CPU combined stress manage to bring the CPU temperature up to 96C(overclocked on turbo with 3.9GHz for 4 cores and -100mV undervolt), but still no drop in frequency.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Skelomorph
    Robitzik said:
    Hmm, looks like i wasn't credited for the EqualizerAPO post with volume normalization, preamp and fix for microphone lowering the system volume disabling Dolby when in use. Anyway, good job, very neat, informative and well laid out post with all the essential info! Sup ven98, how's your laptop holding up? Just repasted again my GX-792, but this time, liquid metal, Conductonaut specifically. The results are unbelievable, will make a post with some info, procedures for anyone interested in the process, and also some tests with temperatures and benchmarks. For now i have only one hint: goodbye thermal throttling, welcome power throttling, this is how far liquid metal repaste can get you on a laptop where the real bottleneck is not the cooling system!
    The information concerning EqualizerAPO in this sticky post was created by myself without ever looking at your post, as I have used it before owning my laptop (used on my old laptop and desktop) and folks on the Facebook page was interested in it. If you would like, you can send me a link to your post and I'll add it into that section for others to take a look at.

Skelo

- Dr. Seuss
  • Red-Sand
    Robitzik said:
    The information concerning EqualizerAPO in this sticky post was created by myself without ever looking at your post, as I have used it before owning my laptop (used on my old laptop and desktop) and folks on the Facebook page was interested in it. If you would like, you can send me a link to your post and I'll add it into that section for others to take a look at.

Skelo
    Can confirm @Skelomorph worked on this within our Facebook group and pioneered the details for it.
    - Hotel Hero