Just purchased Predator G3-710 and am having overheating and shutdown issues.

Merlaak
Merlaak Member Posts: 5 New User
edited February 15 in 2020 Archives
First, here is a link to the exact computer that I just purchased: https://www.costco.com/Acer-Predator-G3-Gaming-Tower---Intel-Core-i7---8GB-Graphics-.product.100342463.html

The computer arrived two days ago. After everything was set up and I was downloading things like Google Chrome, etc., the computer shut down suddenly and a fan started blowing very loudly. I rebooted and it started downloading updates. I hoped that it was just a fluke and resumed what I was doing. Not long after that, it happened again. No BSOD or anything. Just shut down and a blowing fan. I didn't get a chance to do anything else with it for the rest of the day.

The next day (yesterday), it happened again, only this time it didn't run any updates when I rebooted. It just rebooted like normal - no message about a system crash or anything. So I started digging around and learned all about the overheating issues that Predator G3-710's have.

Long story short, I downloaded CAM to monitor my temperature and fans and Argus Monitor to set my fans to change speeds according to the temperature (after downloading CAM, I quickly realized that both the CPU and GPU fans were staying around 1000 rpm no matter how hot things got). Once again, I didn't have a chance to mess with my computer much after that.

So today, I have had all day to play around with my new computer. I played some Civ IV, some Skyrim Special Edition, and did plenty of browsing the web and watching YouTube. The whole time, thanks to Argus Monitor, the fans kept everything nice and cool (aside from the occasional spike, everything stays in the 30-40 deg C range).

But then, this evening while watching a movie on Amazon Prime, it happened again. Argus Monitor and CAM were both running, and yet my computer shut down just like before. By the time I got it back up and running, I was able to see that it was about 60 deg C and falling. I guess there's a chance that Argus crashed, but I never got an error or anything else to indicate that.

So that's the story so far. Am I missing something else here? Should I take the computer back to Costco? Should I send it to Acer? Is there some other software solution that could fix it?

Thanks for the help!

Best Answer

• Merlaak
    Answer ✓
    Updated BIOS, Windows, and NVIDIA drivers and it is still shutting down randomly. Good thing Costco has a great return policy!

Answers

• Skelomorph
    Skelomorph ACE Posts: 463 Pioneer
    edited January 2018
    I do not see anything suggesting the PC is overheating. 60C is very average for a CPU under some load. I would download ThrottleStop or RealTemp to view your temperatures.

Honestly, It sounds like a faulty motherboard/BIOS. Maybe try updating the BIOS, then Windows, and if it still crashes I would return it for a replacement.

Edit: Another Suggestion is performing a clean install of the NVIDIA drivers.

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss
  • Merlaak
    Thanks for your reply.

I just realized that I left some information out. First, keep in mind that it was several minutes between when the last shutdown happened and I was able to see that it was *still* 60 degrees. To me, that indicates that it was much higher.

Also, after I downloaded CAM and before I downloaded Argus, I tested the temperature by playing some games and it was running in the high 70s and into the 80s as well.

Is there a particular version that I should update the BIOS to? Also, when you say "update Windows", do you just mean run Windows update?

Thanks!
  • Skelomorph
    Skelomorph ACE Posts: 463 Pioneer
    edited January 2018
    It takes temperatures of at least 100C before an Intel CPU will shut down. Some even 105C. 80s are high for a desktop, but not deadly. 

I would just check Acer's web site for the latest BIOS for your model. There is another thread with a similar problem. Take a look there.

To check BIOS version before updating, type 'Run' in the start menu, and type msinfo32.

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss
  • Merlaak
    Just successfully updated my BIOS. Hopefully that fixes the problem. Thanks!
  • Merlaak
    Answer ✓
    Updated BIOS, Windows, and NVIDIA drivers and it is still shutting down randomly. Good thing Costco has a great return policy!
  • rman
    rman Member Posts: 1 New User
    was this resolved or you returned the PC? I got the same thing from Costco and I am hitting the same random reboot and fans starting at max speed. Let me know. I am also thinking of returning this.. 
  • stah
    stah Member Posts: 2 New User
    Mine just did this also. Anyone know why. Should I just return it? Ive only had it on for 2 hours.
  • stah
    stah Member Posts: 2 New User
    I haven't returned it yet.  I downloaded argus monitor for it and noticed that the CPU speed was always at 4.1 MHz even at idle.
     So I went into Advance Windows power management and changed the minimum processing power to 85% and the maximum to 98%.

No restarts since. Keeping an eye on it to see if they are gone. 
  • Thecoolness68
    Thecoolness68 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I came on this website looking for an answer for my Acer predator G3. It keeps ***** blowing up! Not literally but it keeps going into a black screen like i just turned it off and then it boots up but the keyboard and mouse don't light up and the fan speeds all the way up! Why does this keep happening to my PC?

it happened today when i was playing ROBLOX normally and it also did this around another 5 times in the past since i got it back in 2018 February. I decided to keep this PC but i am kind of wishing i got another PC than this one if it keeps restarting by itself! Does anyone else have this same issue?

The one i got is here - https://amethysttechnologyanddesigns.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/83-101-238-23.jpg the website i got it from doesn't have it anymore.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Have you tried Stah's solution? What temperatures are you seeing?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • mashpotato
    mashpotato Member Posts: 2 New User
    Did anyone find the solution for this shutdown problem? I am having the same issue and have even upgraded the CPU. Thanks!
  • billsey
    Have you tried Stah's solution? What temperatures are you seeing?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • fr3dator
    fr3dator Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

i have had this problem also. when i render in 3ds max with vray. it shuts down halfway with bsod.
    Send to service center twice 1st they replaced cpu fan , it still shutting down then after i send again they replaced graphic card.
    and they say they ran a 3d test for 2 days with no problem. But when i got it, same problem. not wanting to go back. i started
    finding solutions online.
    apparently most 3d testing don't look for mappings , anyway long story short, The diff between their testing and my actual work is the ram usage.
    So i unplug all 4 Rams, and put them 1 by 1 , my render works with just 1 ram, so i tried 1 by 1, the render finishes in all 4 rams and 4 slots.
    so i plug in all 4 and this time it works fine.
    So for my case i concluded that at least 1 of the ram is not plugin properly or the ram sockets are not that good.

Anyway while doing all this testing i installed also "core temp" and monitor my cpu temp, i found out that when i render my cpu go up to as much as 95 degrees. that is why it gets noisy and might have also some shutting down.
    What i did i installed a case fan. the temp drop by 5 degrees.
    So i got inspired i upgraded my cpu cooler. i installed a "cryorig m9plus" because it is the biggest i can find that can fit the case.
    it works so well . now even under heavy load rendering , my cpu temp max at 73 degrees.

only thing i might have lost the 6 months remaining on my warranty

• fr3dator
    fr3dator Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

here is the cryorig m9 plus it is big, but it fits well!
  • ManD123
    ManD123 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I came on this website looking for an answer for my Acer predator G3. It keeps ***** blowing up! Not literally but it keeps going into a black screen like i just turned it off and then it boots up but the keyboard and mouse don't light up and the fan speeds all the way up! Why does this keep happening to my PC?

it happened today when i was playing ROBLOX normally and it also did this around another 5 times in the past since i got it back in 2018 February. I decided to keep this PC but i am kind of wishing i got another PC than this one if it keeps restarting by itself! Does anyone else have this same issue?

The one i got is here - https://amethysttechnologyanddesigns.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/83-101-238-23.jpg the website i got it from doesn't have it anymore.
    I have the exact same model pc and it does the same thing, it shuts down then the fans start going at max speed while its shut down. This happens randomly when I m playing games or just searching something on google. Does anyone have any idea why this might be shutting down? maybe power supply or the cpu or something?
  • billsey
    Fire up some software to monitor your temperatures, at least CPU and GPU temps. Watch to see what they're doing while playing the game and try to catch it when the failure happens. It sounds like you might be hitting a thermal shutdown, which typically takes 100C or so.