Dual Boot(Aspire E15 E5-575G-76)

rusiiiru
rusiiiru Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
can i have dual boot my Aspire E15 E5-575G-76AY Windows 10 With Ubuntu?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Yes, you should be able to have dual boot. You can try it by following these steps.

( 0) Pre-shrink Windows partition to desired unallocated space for Linux installation.
    ( 1) Make bootable GPT/FAT32(default) stick from the Linux installation iso with Rufus.
    ( 2) Set BIOS supervisor password(SECURITY), disable secure boot(BOOT)& enable F12 Windows boot mgr (MAIN). Save BIOS settings & exit.
    ( 3) Shutdown & insert bootable Linux stick
    ( 4) Turn back on while immediately tapping F12. Select Linux stick to run.
    ( 5) Preferrably select a default Linux install option
    ( 6) Follow on-screen instructions to install alongside Windows.
    ( 7) Let Linux automatically set & resize partitions for Linux & its swap. Adjust for more or less space only if absolutely necessary.
    ( 8) Shutdown & remove Linux stick.
    ( 9) Turn back on while tapping F2.
    (10) Re-enable secure boot(BOOT) & select UEFI file as trusted(MAIN). Select HDD0, SSD0 or eMMC0, then <EFI>, then <ubuntu>, then grubx64.efi the UEFI file. Enter grubx64.efi in the space provided if selecting it doesn't automatically enter it. Save BIOS setting and exit. 
    (11) Boot into Windows. Then shutdown again.
    (12) Turn back on while tapping F12.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited March 2018
     I would strongly encourage you to create a USB factory recovery drive before you begin in case you ever want to restore your computer to factory settings (see video below). I would also recommend Ubuntu 17.10 instead Ubuntu 16.04 as some people have had problems with 16.04 on E5-575G.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOG1H93X7r8

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    edited March 2018

ps with a recovery drive you can get back to the factory default but if you pull a System Image also (in file history) you can restore to exactly where you are.

BTW if your machine can have two drives, I prefer to have one drive per OS, make the Linux drive the boot drive and put a GRUB boot selection there. This is easier than putting the boot selection on the Windows drive.

• bluesrph
    bluesrph Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

padgett said:

ps with a recovery drive you can get back to the factory default but if you pull a System Image also (in file history) you can restore to exactly where you are.

BTW if your machine can have two drives, I prefer to have one drive per OS, make the Linux drive the boot drive and put a GRUB boot selection there. This is easier than putting the boot selection on the Windows drive.

Sorry to break into this thread, but I’ll be getting the E5-576G in a few days, and will be doing this before setting up the dual boot. I’ve ordered the hard drive and the housing thing from acer’s website, once that’s set up, how do I save a system image instead of just a backup drive?
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    With Win 10 it is a bit hidden: Open Settings and type "System Image" in the search box. Select "Restore your files with file history" then "Configure File History". Toward the bottom on the left is "System Image Backup". Select and on the left is "Create a system image". Just follow the instructions.
  • bluesrph

Tinkerer

padgett said:
    With Win 10 it is a bit hidden: Open Settings and type "System Image" in the search box. Select "Restore your files with file history" then "Configure File History". Toward the bottom on the left is "System Image Backup". Select and on the left is "Create a system image". Just follow the instructions.
    ok, thanks. Made the restore flash drive, haven't gotten the drive and housing yet though. Once that gets here, any tips on getting linux to play well? I've seen some stuff about changing from uefi to legacy, and some saying not to, haha. Ideally, I'd like to dual boot with either Mint or regular Ubuntu on the new drive. It's been about 10 years since I did this and the details are a bit fuzzy.
  • JackE
    Do NOT try to change to legacy mode or you will not have dual boot! I suggest Mint. Cinnamon 18.3. Very easy to setup. Jack E/NJ
    ( 0) Pre-shrink Windows partition to desired unallocated space for Linux installation.
    ( 1) Make bootable GPT/FAT32(default) stick from the Linux installation iso with Rufus.
    ( 2) Set BIOS supervisor password(SECURITY), disable secure boot(BOOT)& enable F12 Windows boot mgr (MAIN). Save BIOS settings & exit. May not be needed with some Linux installations like Mint.
    ( 7) Let Linux automatically set & resize partitions for Linux & its swap. Adjust for more or less space only if absolutely necessary.
    (10) Re-enable secure boot(BOOT) & select UEFI file as trusted(MAIN). Select HDD0, SSD0 or eMMC0, then <EFI>, then <ubuntu>, then grubx64.efi the UEFI file. Enter grubx64.efi in the space provided if selecting it doesn't automatically enter it. Save BIOS setting and exit. 
    (13) If desired, put grubx64.efi ahead of Windows boot manager in UEFI bootstrapper

Jack E/NJ

• bluesrph

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Do NOT try to change to legacy mode or you will not have dual boot! I suggest Mint. Cinnamon 18.3. Very easy to setup. Jack E/NJ
    ( 2) Set BIOS supervisor password(SECURITY), disable secure boot(BOOT)& enable F12 Windows boot mgr (MAIN). Save BIOS settings & exit. May not be needed with some Linux installations like Mint.
    (13) If desired, put grubx64.efi ahead of Windows boot manager in UEFI bootstrapper

once i get that working, how should i handle the dual gpus?
  • JackE
    One thing at a time. Get it to boot into Mint first. The MINT installation does a very good job at detecting what hardware is in there. Even better than a Windows installation on some Windows machines. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• bluesrph

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    One thing at a time. Get it to boot into Mint first. The MINT installation does a very good job at detecting what hardware is in there. Even better than a Windows installation on some Windows machines. Jack E/NJ
    Have second hard drive installed making usb stick now. What would I need to do to have it let me choose at power on which one I want to boot?
  • JackE
    The default Mint installation should allow you to use the Windows boot manager on the original HDD boot partition to choose to boot into Windows or into Mint only after grubx64.efi boot manager is entered as trusted in the UEFI bootstrapper. You can only enter this file as trusted into the bootstrapper after it's been created by the Mint installer. Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• bluesrph

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    The default Mint installation should allow you to use the Windows boot manager on the original HDD boot partition to choose to boot into Windows or into Mint only after grubx64.efi boot manager is entered as trusted in the UEFI bootstrapper. You can only enter this file as trusted into the bootstrapper after it's been created by the Mint installer. Jack E/NJ   
    I don’t think I did that part right. Choosing to install alongside windows wanted to put it on the same drive. I chose “something else”, installed it on the new empty hard drive with a swap and root partition, and chose to install the bootloader or grub to that same drive. Can I now make the new hard drive first in boot priority and pick with grub whether I want windows or Linux to load? Thanks again, you’ve been a lot of help!
  • JackE
    edited March 2018
    You should be OK. Get back into the BIOS menu. Make sure secure boot is enabled in the Boot tab. Then go to the Main tab. Select select UEFI file as trusted(MAIN). Select HDD1 or SSD1, then <EFI>, then <ubuntu>, then grubx64.efi the UEFI file. Enter grubx64.efi in the space provided if selecting it doesn't automatically enter it. Save BIOS settings and exit. Let it boot into Windows again. Then shut down. Then turn it back on and immediately start tapping the F12 key. Windows should be # 1 and default if you don't tap F12. Grub # 2. If you want to reverse the order, go back into the BIOS menu Boot tab and put Grub on top. Windows boot manager under it. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• sahidahmed1
    sahidahmed1 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Can i dual boot my Acer Aspire E15 with both windows 10 and Phoenix os?
  • JackE
    sahidahmed1Yes, you should be able to dual boot Phoenix alongside Windows. Google "phoenix operating system" "alongside windows 10" with the quotes for Phoenix installers. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Dikshantchitara
    Dikshantchitara Member Posts: 1 New User
    my Aspire 3 with dual boot with phoenix os but I have problems in boot. This is a gnu grub 2.02 version problem pls give m the solution. Can I repair my windows and solved this problem

• JackE
    Please start your own new thread on your issue with your full Aspire 3 model number and what you have done to install grub. Installation must be installed in UEFI bootstrap mode, not Legacy BIOS mode or Windows won't boot. If you also converted HDD to MBR partition, Windows will be lost and must be re-installed. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE

Please start your own new thread to the community, not personal messages. Please also state your full Aspire 3 model number and what you have done to install Phoenix operating system. Dual boot installations must be installed in UEFI bootstrap mode, not Legacy BIOS mode or Windows won't boot. If you also converted HDD to MBR partition, Windows will be lost and must be re-installed. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DutchCraft12
    DutchCraft12 Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    JackE said:
    Yes, you should be able to have dual boot. You can try it by following these steps.

( 2) Set BIOS supervisor password(SECURITY), disable secure boot(BOOT)& enable F12 Windows boot mgr (MAIN). Save BIOS settings & exit.

Jack E/NJ

I followed these exact steps on my Acer spin 5, and I am able to access both OSes. However bios is again disabled/broken. Gives me a black screen just like this user: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/538305/cant-access-uefi-after-installing-linux-dual-boot/p1

Is there a method that is known to work on my device?

• JackE
    DutchCraft12>>> bios is again disabled/broken>>>

Again? When did it happen before? Do you see an ACER logo screen now? If not, can you F2 into the BIOS menu on a cold boot? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ