XB321HK Weird Artifact

Answers

• adamlreed93
    adamlreed93 Member Posts: 61 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    edited March 2018
    Im going to buy a grounding cable to connect to the base of my Acer Predator XB321HK as I stated earlier that I can make my screen flicker almost anytime I want with static electricity touching the base of the monitor. I will report back on Saturday or Sunday
  • RidingTheFlow
    RidingTheFlow Member Posts: 93 Fixer WiFi Icon
    My monitor is properly grounded, I've tested earth continuity - I believe both by USB earth and main earth. Hence I don't think adding extra earth connection will change anything.
    Touching it makes no flicker appear. 
    But my flickering is pretty rare, so I assume it may be a case that poor grounding will make flicker more often. Though its pretty clear that good grounding is not enough to eliminate flickers completely.

• adamlreed93
    Gounding cable didn't help, yet i can still touch the base of my monitor and get it to flicker
  • RidingTheFlow
    edited March 2018
    I suspect it may to do something more with EM interference than electrostatic charge (your body acting as antenna increasing offending EM signal).
    Grounding won't help against radio waves - you need shielding. However, any kind of outside shielding will not be effective since screen will act as massive transparent "window" - shielding the electronics will require panel disassembly which would be hardly feasible.

• adamlreed93
    Returning to Acer for repair or swapping, which I've read they will not find anything and send back but I have to give it a shot, right?
  • RidingTheFlow
    edited March 2018
    Returning to Acer for repair or swapping, which I've read they will not find anything and send back but I have to give it a shot, right?
    They can't repair this. If they could they would clearly announce it ages ago, but they didn't (and now deleted all posts when they even promised a fix).

They will try to make it appear they "meet their costumer care obligation", by claiming either "repair attempted" or "no fault found". Either way you won't get it fixed - and will just waste a time. Best you can hope is to get panel which glitches less often - but then, you may get panel worse in other respects (e.g. dead pixels, light bleed).

I think its only worthwhile trying to involve Acer warranty repair if you intend to fight all the way - involving consumer protection bodies of your country to force Acer legally at least to provide you with a full refund or other equivalent monitor model without issues (which I don't think exists, so refund will be only option). To involve customer protection bodies you will have to demonstrate that you tried to resolve problem through customer care channels and Acer failed to do so. This will take quite a time & effort so its up to you to decide if its worth it.

• adamlreed93
    They can't repair this. If they could they would clearly announce it ages ago, but they didn't (and now deleted all posts when they even promised a fix).

They will try to make it appear they "meet their costumer care obligation", by claiming either "repair attempted" or "no fault found". Either way you won't get it fixed - and will just waste a time. Best you can hope is to get panel which glitches less often - but then, you may get panel worse in other respects (e.g. dead pixels, light bleed).

I think its only worthwhile trying to involve Acer warranty repair if you intend to fight all the way - involving consumer protection bodies of your country to force Acer legally at least to provide you with a full refund or other equivalent monitor model without issues (which I don't think exists, so refund will be only option). To involve customer protection bodies you will have to demonstrate that you tried to resolve problem through customer care channels and Acer failed to do so. This will take quite a time & effort so its up to you to decide if its worth it.

UGH
  • adamlreed93
    edited March 2018
    Well I do not have dead pixels and the monitor does NOT freak out every 30 seconds, So you have put some doubt in my mind. Getting a monitor that could be worst would be very irritating to say. Decisions 
  • RidingTheFlow
    Well I do not have dead pixels and the monitor does NOT freak out every 30 seconds, So you have put some doubt in my mind. Getting a monitor that could be worst would be very irritating to say. Decisions 
    I've begrudgingly decided to live with mine, since buying new monitor is nightmare nowadays and it had me 2 monitor exchanges to get the current one without significant optical issues.

But one thing I know for sure - this will be the last Acer product I bought. Fool me once... Actually this will be the last "pro gamer" brand product I bought. I will just stick to business-grade monitors - they don't have as many feature tickboxes, but tend to be actually much more solid as monitors.

• Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    edited March 2018

Hello everyone,

We would like to apologize to our community for the inconvenience caused by this issue and for our delay in finding a solution for it. We are happy to announce that we have found a fix for this issue and have contacted all regions to ensure that they are able to properly address the issue. We would like to thank everyone in the community for your patience while we worked to resolve the issue, and apologize to any members who needed to return the product. The randomness of this issue made it difficult to replicate, and we spent many hours of extensive testing to ensure the solution we found resolved the issue in its entirety.

Please contact your local Acer Support organization in order to set the unit up for repair to apply the fix. 

Additionally, we have looked into the issue of the missing comments on this post, and found that some topics and comments were lost back in October of 2017 when we moved Community providers.  This was not an attempt to censor or lessen the issue. We understand your frustration and hope you will continue to express your opinions on our community forums. We will not delete comments or posts as long as they do not violate the Acer Community User Agreement.

Thanks,

Acer-Manny

• adamlreed93

Hello everyone,

We would like to apologize to our community for the inconvenience caused by this issue and for our delay in finding a solution for it. We are happy to announce that we have found a fix for this issue and have contacted all regions to ensure that they are able to properly address the issue. We would like to thank everyone in the community for your patience while we worked to resolve the issue, and apologize to any members who needed to return the product. The randomness of this issue made it difficult to replicate, and we spent many hours of extensive testing to ensure the solution we found resolved the issue in its entirety.

Please contact your local Acer Support organization in order to set the unit up for repair to apply the fix. 

Additionally, we have looked into the issue of the missing comments on this post, and found that some topics and comments were lost back in October of 2017 when we moved Community providers.  This was not an attempt to censor or lessen the issue. We understand your frustration and hope you will continue to express your opinions on our community forums. We will not delete comments or posts as long as they do not violate the Acer Community User Agreement.

Thanks,

Acer-Manny

Ok, I send in my monitor tomorrow and give it a try as I have a case # and ect
  • RidingTheFlow

Hello everyone,

Thanks,

Acer-Manny

Ok, I send in my monitor tomorrow and give it a try as I have a case # and ect
    Great, please let us know how your repair goes.
    I can't send away mine atm since I need it for work.

• WestWorld27
    WestWorld27 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have the same issue with my XB271HK - just spoken to Acer Support and have been told that this has not been confirmed for this model...and around we go again...
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Hi WestWorld27,

Sorry to hear that, can you please send me a PM with your serial number and the contact center number you contacted for follow up?

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny
  • M10
    M10 Member Posts: 3 New User
    @Acer-Manny, thank you for acknowledging the issue and most importantly, that it can be fixed.

Can it be done by the user simply downloading and applying a firmware update or does it need to be sent to Acer Support to replace some hardware?  I'm worried about how many days/weeks I will be left without a monitor (in Australia).
  • MrDonkey
    MrDonkey Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited March 2018
    Hi Acer-Manny
    I'm happy to hear that you've managed to resolve this issue with xb321hk model.
    But, does it mean that you have a fix for xb271hk as well?
    There is a similar thread on this forum regarding xb271hk:
    Could you post your message there as well?
    I also second M10's post. Can we apply this patch by ourselves? 
    I have a bad experience with customer support in general (I live in Poland) and I don't want my monitor to be swapped etc.
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    edited March 2018

Hi M10,

Unfortunately the fix involve a Hardware repair so the LCD needs to be sent to your local repair center.

MrDonkey - For the XB271HK monitor Flickering problem we had a solution as well for quite some time, even do they look like very similar problems the diagnose of the issue and fixwas different but the monitor has to coming for service as the fix is also a hardware one. I appreciate that you brought this to my attention, i will make and official notice to the post.

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny  

• adamlreed93
    Acer received my monitor as of today so lets start the clock for the repairs on my xB321HK
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    That's great adamlreed93 keep us update it, thanks.

Acer-Manny
  • adamlreed93
    edited March 2018
    That's great adamlreed93 keep us update it, thanks.

Acer-Manny
    Have not heard anything on 6th day :) I wish they could set my expectation like 2-3 weeks
This discussion has been closed.