Problem upgrading Win 8.1 ACER Aspire TC-603 desktop to Windows 10 Pro...

Mishka
Mishka Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited February 29 in 2018 Archives
Hi,  I'm helping a relative upgrade his Aspire TC-603 desktop PC running Windows 8.1 Home, to Windows 10 Pro.  He procrastinated and missed the free upgrade but now has a WIn 10 DVD and License key.  Before trying to upgrade I ensured we downloaded and installed all available 8.1 upgrades and also got him to buy and install DriverEasy Pro which upgraded all his drivers without any problems. The Win 10 upgrade commenced well, downloaded all Win 10 upgrades and started the Win 10 install.  Suddenly at 40% the install stopped with the following error message: Windows 10 Install error 0xC1900101-0x30018 The installation failed in the first boot phase with an error during Sys Prep.   Analysing the error on-line reveals further info: Code

0xC1900101 - 0x30018

Cause
A device driver has stopped responding to setup.exe during the upgrade process.
Mitigation
Disconnect all peripheral devices that are connected to the system, except for the mouse, keyboard and display.
Contact your hardware vendor to obtain updated device drivers.
Ensure that "Download and install updates (recommended)" is accepted at the start of the upgrade process.
The only extra peripheral connected is a recent Cannon printer. As yet I haven't tried the install with that disconnected.
Is there anyone here who has had similar problems upgrading an Aspire TC-603 or TC-605, or knows what to check for to avoid this error?
The PC was bought new 4 years ago yet there appears to be a dearth of upgrade info for it. It's treated as an obsolete, superseded PC.  It has an i5 processor with 8 gig of ram and plenty of Hard Disk space, surely it is upgradable???    Any advice or suggestions welcomed...

Best Answer

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited March 2018 Answer ✓
    @Mishka

The link below shows someone w/ i5 tc-603 running windows 10.  More than likely the problem is you used DriverEasyPro.  I wouldn't use that.  I've written hundreds of posts on how to backup your files, how to create a Windows 8.1 USB factory recovery drive, and how to clean install windows 10.  You're welcome to search my posts on this forum.  Good luck.

Since the link below is recent, we can assume they were using the latest windows 10 1709.  Windows will (should) automatically find your drivers.

http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/7687966

http://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Acer-Aspire-TC-603/9034
    I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• DarkRaNgEr
    DarkRaNgEr Member Posts: 92 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Mishka said:
    Hi,  I'm helping a relative upgrade his Aspire TC-603 desktop PC running Windows 8.1 Home, to Windows 10 Pro.  He procrastinated and missed the free upgrade but now has a WIn 10 DVD and License key.  Before trying to upgrade I ensured we downloaded and installed all available 8.1 upgrades and also got him to buy and install DriverEasy Pro which upgraded all his drivers without any problems. The Win 10 upgrade commenced well, downloaded all Win 10 upgrades and started the Win 10 install.  Suddenly at 40% the install stopped with the following error message: Windows 10 Install error 0xC1900101-0x30018 The installation failed in the first boot phase with an error during Sys Prep.   Analysing the error on-line reveals further info: Code

0xC1900101 - 0x30018

Cause
    A device driver has stopped responding to setup.exe during the upgrade process.
    Mitigation
    Disconnect all peripheral devices that are connected to the system, except for the mouse, keyboard and display.
    Contact your hardware vendor to obtain updated device drivers.
    Ensure that "Download and install updates (recommended)" is accepted at the start of the upgrade process.
    The only extra peripheral connected is a recent Cannon printer. As yet I haven't tried the install with that disconnected.
    Is there anyone here who has had similar problems upgrading an Aspire TC-603 or TC-605, or knows what to check for to avoid this error?
    The PC was bought new 4 years ago yet there appears to be a dearth of upgrade info for it. It's treated as an obsolete, superseded PC.  It has an i5 processor with 8 gig of ram and plenty of Hard Disk space, surely it is upgradable???    Any advice or suggestions welcomed...

It's seems this device is not compatible to upgrade to windows 10. You can have only till with windows 8.1 OS. "0xC1900101 - 0x30018 " this error code seems to be the operating system got corrupted in your device. You can try roll back the OS to windows 8.1 if you have a recovery media. Else you need to purchase the one. You can use the below link to see the device Aspire TC-603 compatibility with windows 10 OS. 

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/4819?b=1

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!  
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Thanks And regards,

DarkRaNgEr

Thanks and Regards,

DarkRaNgEr

• Mishka

Tinkerer

Hi DarkRaNgEr,  Thank you for your response. I will investigate the Acer link for Win 8.1 drivers although DriverEasy should have upgraded all drivers possible.  I'm not a fan of BIOS/Firmware upgrades but will check out the reason for the one mentioned. There are many posts of problems doing BIOS upgrades. 

After my upgrade to WIN 10 Pro failed there was no problem (except for the time it took) to roll back to Windows 8.1 which now works fine again.  I don't understand your comment about OS corruption in my device (?)  it checks and works quite OK.

In a few days I will go back to my relatives PC and check some log files that MS advised about and also the update history. That may give me a better Idea of what and why it is failing to upgrade.  I'm not convinced that an upgrade is not possible, I would need some specific details to from that conclusion. 

If Acer sold new Aspire computers 4 years ago that cannot be upgraded to Windows 10, I would be really ***** off, that would be disgraceful for a major computer manufacturer. 

Does anyone from Acer monitor these threads?  I would be interested to hear what they have to say about upgrading an Aspire TC-603 to Windows 10...
  • JordanB
    edited March 2018 Answer ✓
    @Mishka

The link below shows someone w/ i5 tc-603 running windows 10.  More than likely the problem is you used DriverEasyPro.  I wouldn't use that.  I've written hundreds of posts on how to backup your files, how to create a Windows 8.1 USB factory recovery drive, and how to clean install windows 10.  You're welcome to search my posts on this forum.  Good luck.

Since the link below is recent, we can assume they were using the latest windows 10 1709.  Windows will (should) automatically find your drivers.

http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/7687966

• Mishka

Tinkerer

Thanks for your informative response JordanB. Yes using Windows 10 1709.  If you don't like, or use Driver Easy, what do you use?  Your post gives me some hope of running Windows 10 however a 'clean install' (something I have considered) makes for a lot of work restoring user's applications and files.   Have lots of things to check on the PC before I get desperate...
  • JordanB
    edited March 2018
    @Mishka

I wouldn't use any third party driver helper program.  You may need to uninstall any drivers that DriverEasyPro installed.  And then please uninstall DriverEasyPro from your computer and don't use it or any other driver program any more.

Alternative method below (in place upgrade)

Alternative Method

1. Backup your important personal files such as family photos...etc.

2. Create a USB factory recovery drive with Acer Recovery Management Software and put it in a safe place.

https://uk.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26286/~/create-a-acer-factory-default-backup-in-windows-8.1

3. Click on link below and then click "update now"

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

4.  After Windows 10 Home installs, go to settings and change your product key to your Windows 10 Pro key, and Windows will automatically install Pro.

5.  In some cases, it may take several hours for Windows to automatically download and install all of your drivers from the internet.  Obviously you need an internet connection via Ethernet or wireless.

6. If after several hours of waiting for Windows to automatically download/install drivers and checking Windows Update for any missing drivers, you can go to Device Manager and check if you have any missing drivers and search for the Hardware ID's via google to figure out what device is missing driver. Please be patient and let Windows do its thing and let it automatically install drivers.

Note: If at any point during the installation process you're asked to enter the Windows 10 Pro key, then please do so.  Otherwise you can enter it at Step 4

• Mishka

Tinkerer

Hmmnn...  My relative has Acronis 2018 and we've made a full backup with that.  He has a license for Windows 10 Pro.  We've had a number of failed attempts using the "media creation tool".., which takes ages, gets upgrades, installs something (?), then hangs at: "Making Sure You're Ready to Install. This will take a few minutes... Please wait !!!" What a nonsense message that is...  Left it for a day and half, was still hanging.  Left it for four days. came back to my administrator login.  Nothing, no app, no messages, nix zero, nil, nothing...   I now have a valid Windows 10  ISO DVD and with the license key have progressed to the 40% point of installation, until Windows gave the driver error "A device driver has stopped responding to setup.exe during the upgrade process." The system sucessfully reverted back to Windows 8.1 and is working.  I still haven't been able to get back to the PC to check previous suggestions you made about Acer drivers. It's highly likely some driver is causing our problems.   Will do so before trying anything else. You make some serious statements about DriverEasy. I've used it successfully on several (non Acer) PCs, WIn 7, WIN 10 various versions, and have not had any problems using it, or the drivers it installs. Can you be a bit more specific about what you have found wrong with it?
  • JordanB
    I've helped you all that I have time to help you.  Good luck.
  • Mishka

Tinkerer

Thanks for your previous help. From that I have quite a few things to check.   Good luck to you too...

• JordanB
    edited March 2018
    You're welcome.

As you can see from the link below, there's lots of people running Windows 10.  I can't be 100 percent certain as to why you're having problems.

Sometimes you can spend way too much time troubleshooting, and you'd be better off (from a time standpoint) backing up your important personal files, and starting over from scratch so you get a fresh start. 

Don't forget to create a factory USB recovery drive too so you have the ability to go back to factory Windows 8.1 if something goes awry or the HDD fails.

https://au.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26286/~/create-a-acer-factory-default-backup-in-windows-8.1

And don't forget to make a "drivers and apps" backup too as it will probably backup the PowerDVD software which can come in handy if you ever do a clean install of Windows 10. 

There's lot of tutorials on the internet if you decide to do a clean install of Windows 10.