SF 315-51G - Unable to change uefi mode into legacy! Secure boot is already disabled.

zrakamit
zrakamit Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Recently I have bought an acre swift 3 laptop. It came with endless os. Now I want to dual boot it with linux. But now I am unable to install linux,due to uefi mode.And uefi mode is greyed out. I'm unable to select it.

Best Answer

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,329 Trailblazer
    You should be able install Linux in UEFI mode with a GPT (not MBR) partitioned, FAT32 installation USB stick. What ACER model and number do you have. Which Linux distro do you want to install? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• zrakamit

Tinkerer

@JackE my model no. is SF 315-51G.
    and I wany to install kali linux.
  • JackE
    You should be OK but the Kali installation iso must be on a GPT partition FAT32 stick. Use Rufus to accomplish this. You will also need to set a BIOS supervisor password (don't forget it!!) in order to enter a trusted EFI file, disable/re-enable secure boot and set the F12 boot loader menu. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• zrakamit

Tinkerer

Is there any method to change greyed uefi mode to legacy? I'm not even able to select that. @JackE
    And how to enter a efi trusted file.
    Will you please elaborate??
  • zrakamit

Tinkerer

@JackE which file i have to select under efi trusted files?
  • JackE
    edited March 2018
    You do ***NOT want to change to legacy mode**** because then you will not be able to have a dual boot. Endless will not boot from legacy mode because it is on a GPT partition, not MBR. Please try to follow these directions for installing KALI under UEFI mode even though they were written for more of a Ubuntu installation like Mint. Again, you must put the KALI installation iso on a GPT partition FAT32 USB stick using the Rufus software or the KALI USB installation stick will not be seen and will not boot in UEFI mode . Jack E/NJ PS: Sorry, I'm not sure how you will make a GPT partition FAT32 USB stick from Endless since Rufus only runs under Windows. Perhaps you can make a GPT USB stick on another Windows machine.

( 0) Pre-shrink Endless partition to desired unallocated space for KALI Linux installation.
    ( 1) Make bootable GPT/FAT32(default) stick from the Linux installation iso with Rufus.
    ( 2) Set BIOS supervisor password(SECURITY), disable secure boot(BOOT)& enable F12 Windows boot mgr (MAIN). Save BIOS settings & exit.
    ( 3) Shutdown & insert bootable Linux stick
    ( 4) Turn back on while immediately tapping F12. Select Linux stick to run.
    ( 5) Preferrably select a default Linux install option
    ( 6) Follow on-screen instructions to install alongside Windows.
    ( 7) Let Linux automatically set & resize partitions for Linux & its swap. Adjust for more or less space only if absolutely necessary.
    ( 8) Shutdown & remove Linux stick.
    ( 9) Turn back on while tapping F2.
    (10) Re-enable secure boot(BOOT) & select UEFI file as trusted(MAIN). Select HDD0, SSD0 or eMMC0, then <EFI>, then <ubuntu>, then grubx64.efi the UEFI file. Enter grubx64.efi (or what KALI efi file is named) in the space provided if selecting it doesn't automatically enter it. Save BIOS setting and exit.
    (11) Boot into Endless. Then shutdown again.
    (12) Turn back on while tapping F12.

Jack E/NJ

• zrakamit

Tinkerer

Linux is unable to detect iso image! Shouldn't I try it with dd image?
  • JackE
    Are you trying to make the bootable GPT Fat32 USB installation stick from the Endless terminal? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• zrakamit

Tinkerer

I am doing it with rufus.
  • zrakamit

Tinkerer

I am installing linux side by with  windows.
  • JackE
    >>>Recently I have bought an acre swift 3 laptop. It came with endless os. >>>

Ay!!!???? You didn't tell me it had Windows installed!!!!!???? Please tell me exactly what you have on the machine now. Is it Windows 10? Endless? What does it boot into now??? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• zrakamit

Tinkerer

It's true it came with endless. But now I haf installed Windows into it.
  • JackE
    What version of Windows? Win10? Win8.1? Win8.0?, Win7? WinVista? Which version? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• zrakamit

Tinkerer

Windows 10
  • JackE
    OK. Follow these procedures exactly and in the same order! You must first download the Rufus software or you will NOT be able to see the KALI installation USB stick. Google "rufus" for the free download website. ***YOU MUST USE RUFUS TO CREATE A BOOTABLE GPT FAT32 USB STICK FROM THE KALI.ISO!****  Jack E/NJ

( 0) Pre-shrink Windows partition to desired unallocated space for Linux installation. (Use Windows Disk Management in Control Panel)
    ( 1) Make bootable GPT/FAT32(default) stick from the Linux installation iso with Rufus.
    ( 2) Set BIOS supervisor password(SECURITY), disable secure boot(BOOT)& enable F12 Windows boot mgr (MAIN). Save BIOS settings & exit.
    ( 3) Shutdown & insert bootable Linux stick
    ( 4) Turn back on while immediately tapping F12. Select Linux stick to run.
    ( 5) Preferrably select a default Linux install option
    ( 6) Follow on-screen instructions to install alongside Windows.
    ( 7) Let Linux automatically set & resize partitions for Linux & its swap. Adjust for more or less space only if absolutely necessary.
    ( 8) Shutdown & remove Linux stick.
    ( 9) Turn back on while tapping F2.
    (10) Re-enable secure boot(BOOT) & select UEFI file as trusted(MAIN). Select HDD0, SSD0 or eMMC0, then <EFI>, then <ubuntu>, then grubx64.efi the UEFI file. Enter grubx64.efi in the space provided if selecting it doesn't automatically enter it. Save BIOS setting and exit.
    (11) Boot into Windows. Then shutdown again.
    (12) Turn back on while tapping F12.

Jack E/NJ

• zrakamit

Tinkerer

After installing while I'm trying to enter into bios, I'm unable to do that. It is showing black screen with a cursor.
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited March 2018
    @zrakamit

Please don't go in to your BIOS settings to disable secure boot under any circumstances.

I'm giving you a link to solve all your problems.  Deja vu.

Again, please don't go in to your BIOS settings to disable secure boot under any circumstances!!!!! Please don't attempt to put your computer in legacy mode under any circumstances.

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/538305/cant-access-uefi-after-installing-linux-dual-boot/p1

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JackE
    >>>After installing while I'm trying to enter into bios, I'm unable to do that. It is showing black screen with a cursor>>>

@JordanB I don't think @zrakamit tried to set legacy mode after all we discussed earlier.

@zrakamit At what point in the installation process are you. If at point 8 or 9 in the above directions, you must completely power off your machine. Then turn the machine back on and immediately start tapping the F2 key to enter the BIOS menu with your supervisor password. You must then re-enable secure boot in order to select the Kali efi file.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    @JackE

Please carefully read my post above.

Please carefully read the link below.

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/538305/cant-access-uefi-after-installing-linux-dual-boot/p1

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JackE
    @JordanB  >>>When i try to boot on the USB stick to install when i click on install i get the message that secure boot prevented from booting.>>>

I took this comment from the link you posted. Is this what you're referring to? I found that the UEFI sometimes ignored boot order and refused to boot from installation stick with password set unless secure boot was also disabled. I found this was the case on a Switch. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ