Swift 3 SF315-51G Stuck in Weird RAID Mode

peter18ji
peter18ji Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
The laptop's shipped this way, with no AHCI/RAID mode switch in the BIOS.Local Acer support, both hotline and service center know nothing about it. AFAIK, it stops me from installing Unix-like systems by making all hard disks disappeared from the installer. Anyone able to help?

Answers

• peter18ji

The BIOS page
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Before you try to install anything, set and don't forget a BIOS supervisor password. What 'unix-like' system are you trying to install? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• peter18ji
    JackE said:
    Before you try to install anything, set and don't forget a BIOS supervisor password. What 'unix-like' system are you trying to install? Jack E/NJ
    macOS, which definitely doesn't support installation on RAID mode system.BIOS supervisor password doesn't help.
  • JackE
    edited March 2018
    The supervisor password will allow more options to appear in the UEFI menu. You must save and exit the UEFI menu then re-boot to see them. I would disregard the RAID info unless your installation program issues an error message. If you're trying to make a dual boot Win/Mac system, you will certainly need to access these other options. If you're trying to make a Mac only out of a Windows UEFI bootstrapper, good luck and tell us how you did it if successful. I suggest that you consider running VMWare to try to do what you apparently want to do except as a virtual OS.   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• peter18ji
    JackE said:
    The supervisor password will allow more options to appear in the UEFI menu. You must save and exit the UEFI menu then re-boot to see them. I would disregard the RAID info unless your installation program issues an error message. If you're trying to make a dual boot Win/Mac system, you will certainly need to access these other options. If you're trying to make a Mac only out of a Windows UEFI bootstrapper, good luck and tell us how you did it if successful. I suggest that you consider running VMWare to try to do what you apparently want to do except as a virtual OS.   Jack E/NJ
    Setting supervisor password still gives me no luck. I see this issue as a missing BIOS option that needs an insider to fix. If you are not, I'd better visit my local Acer care for the third time and my local Acer Support hotline for the second time. They kept me visiting each other for help.
  • JackE
    I don't normally recommend this but If this system is still under warranty, you might try to update to the latest v1.05 firmware. If that doesn't work, we could try to go back to an earlier version to see if we can gain control over the SATA mode switch. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ