edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi,

I have A515-51G with i5-8250U
What is the best undervolting for it?

Answers

• R7vmc
    R7vmc Member Posts: 65 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Hi,
    You could try Throttlestop. You can also get help by posting questions in the link below.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0DqSZxRZTQ
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/
    I would prefer Intel XTU pls
  • gr_reaper_20
    gr_reaper_20 Member Posts: 111 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    msi afterburner
    As it is used by a lot of people, in case you go wrong somewhere or stuck you ll have many sources available for help.

If you are comfortable with XTU go ahead and use that.
    Hope that helped you.
  • R7vmc
    msi afterburner
    As it is used by a lot of people, in case you go wrong somewhere or stuck you ll have many sources available for help.

if i'm right MSI Afterburner is for GPU only not CPU
  • R7vmc
    i would prefer Intel XTU cuz Intel know they're CPU more than anyone 
  • gr_reaper_20
    gr_reaper_20 Member Posts: 111 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    R7vmc said:
    msi afterburner

I assumed u were undervolting coz of heating issues when gaming.
    For cpu undervolting XTU is great.
    Hope that helped you.
  • R7vmc
    edited February 2018
    R7vmc said:
    msi afterburner

I assumed u were undervolting coz of heating issues when gaming.
    For cpu undervolting XTU is great.
    yes I have heating issues and I want to underclock the CPU more than GPU
  • R7vmc
    ok is undervolting safe for MX150 ? i'm always using it to game
  • R7vmc
    so after testing using cinebench and 100% CPU usage I found the stablest undervolt for my system is -0.100 volt
  • Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    R7vmc 

It's kinda like reverse overclocking procedure. 
    There is a possibility that it could cause the system to become unstable. Voltage itself will not create performance. The system needs enough voltage to allow for the system to be stable when at a certain clockspeed. Hence overclockers will gradually increase voltage to the processor when overclocking a system to insure the system is stable. So when doing the opposite you will need to gradually drop voltage and test the system to insure that it stays stable. You shouldn't notice any performance penalties unless you decide to drop the clockspeed with it but it could cause stability issues.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • R7vmc
    @Sharanji
    yes
    but I have noticed a little improvement in cooling like only -2 degree only and
  • beentheredonethat
    beentheredonethat Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

i've tried -0.105mv. completely stable in intel xtu's stress tests and other apps but while playing fortnite lappy crashed :( so now i keep it at -0.90mv while playing fortnite
  • beentheredonethat
    beentheredonethat Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

i've tried  -0.105mv and it was mostly stable until i started playing fortnite. as for mx150 overclocking via msi afterburner these settings  have been 100% stable for me from the past 4-5 months.

• R7vmc
    -0.100 is stablest for me and when playing Fortnite everything is perfectly fine and no crashes and I have tried more demanding games like GTA V and it's totally perfect 
  • bresci
    bresci Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited March 2018
    R7vmc said:
    -0.100 is stablest for me and when playing Fortnite everything is perfectly fine and no crashes and I have tried more demanding games like GTA V and it's totally perfect 
    Hi,
    could you (or somebody else undervolting their 8250U cpu) please post your ThrottleStop.ini with the -0.100 settings?
    I am trying to apply the same undervolting under linux and need the hex values generated by throttlestop.

Many thanks
  • R7vmc
    edited March 2018
    bresci said:
    R7vmc said:
    Hi,
    could you (or somebody else undervolting their 8250U cpu) please post your ThrottleStop.ini with the -0.100 settings?
    I am trying to apply the same undervolting under linux and need the hex values generated by throttlestop.

Many thanks
    I'm using Intel's XTU to undervolting and recently I'm getting BSODs with -1.00 but after some tests I found -0.80 is super stable
  • hardenemy58
    hardenemy58 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi everyone.I have same laptop.I used XTU for increase my proccessor speed.I tried -0.150mV and suddenly my laptop has STUN.After that I reset my laptop and windows open very slow.Normally windows open in 10 second but this time maybe it was 1 minute to open my laptop.Finally windows opened and when i want to open XTU again, program says it was a mistake and all the configurations are reset.When i check XTU, core voltage offset is 0.00mV.I make all the settings like factory mode and i unintsalled the XTU from my laptop.And i have a question.Is this operation give any damage or harm to my proccesor ? Or Stunning windows at -0.150mV core voltage offset is completely normal and it was not any harm to my proccesor? I've tried in -0.100mV core voltage offset and nothing happen also my proccesor speed increased clearly.And i want to try -0.150mV.Is this value so much for i5 8250u proccesor ? And Stunning windows at -0.150mV is normal?Please answer i am very worried about it.Have i nice day..
  • R7vmc
    Hi everyone.I have same laptop.I used XTU for increase my proccessor speed.I tried -0.150mV and suddenly my laptop has STUN.After that I reset my laptop and windows open very slow.Normally windows open in 10 second but this time maybe it was 1 minute to open my laptop.Finally windows opened and when i want to open XTU again, program says it was a mistake and all the configurations are reset.When i check XTU, core voltage offset is 0.00mV.I make all the settings like factory mode and i unintsalled the XTU from my laptop.And i have a question.Is this operation give any damage or harm to my proccesor ? Or Stunning windows at -0.150mV core voltage offset is completely normal and it was not any harm to my proccesor? I've tried in -0.100mV core voltage offset and nothing happen also my proccesor speed increased clearly.And i want to try -0.150mV.Is this value so much for i5 8250u proccesor ? And Stunning windows at -0.150mV is normal?Please answer i am very worried about it.Have i nice day..
    if your CPU is stable at -0.100 then stay on it and don't go further and I can't say if it's normal to be at -0.150 this depends on your laptop
  • hardenemy58
    hardenemy58 Member Posts: 2 New User
    R7vmc said:
    if your CPU is stable at -0.100 then stay on it and don't go further and I can't say if it's normal to be at -0.150 this depends on your laptop
    OK bro i got you.But i am asking is this operation gives any damage to my CPU ? I just try one time core voltage offset value -0.150mV is there any problems happen in my CPU or is it normal ( stunning Windows) in this value -0.150mV ? Everything is OK or there is some problems occur in CPU ? I am asking this.Thanks for your comment.
  • R7vmc
    R7vmc said:
    OK bro i got you.But i am asking is this operation gives any damage to my CPU ? I just try one time core voltage offset value -0.150mV is there any problems happen in my CPU or is it normal ( stunning Windows) in this value -0.150mV ? Everything is OK or there is some problems occur in CPU ? I am asking this.Thanks for your comment.
    mostly no but I don't recommend to do it