e recovery stick guidance

124»

Answers

• JHP
    JHP Member Posts: 114 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Sobe said:
    JHP said:
    JackE said:
    @JHP Because they're so reliable and bulletproof, you'll be one of the very few people in the world with any experience in this sorta thing. So you can tell us if you got your broke unit back fixed with an explanation or still broke with no explanation. =)  Jack E/NJ

Ok will do thanks for the feedback :)
    stay tuned...

You have lots of patience for this!

Its coming Fed-Ex and it will land on Tuesday 2-27-18) in SE Wis - but no word on what was wrong with it...I still think it was a SSHD..

NOW reading the problems\foibles that people have had with them...is my touchpad the next thing to go?

ANYWAY - PLEASE people if you get one of these units (of any model) MAKE UP A recovery chip...that's my words of wisdom for this year...it would save you $50 and the time delay getting it from Acer
  • JHP
    Answer ✓
    The laptop is home...all ok so far and acer does give you a repair sheet (it was military grade packaged) My buga-boo was a bad SSD hard drive - thanks again to all that gave me so much info and help and will keep the board informed on anything strange...its christmas for me in Feb:)

Jeff

• Sobe
    Sobe Member Posts: 138 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    JHP said:
    The laptop is home...all ok so far and acer does give you a repair sheet (it was military grade packaged) My buga-boo was a bad SSD hard drive - thanks again to all that gave me so much info and help and will keep the board informed on anything strange...its christmas for me in Feb:)

Jeff

You were right! You thought it could be the bad SSD hard drive! 
    Glad it worked out! Now break some more so we can troubleshoot other stuff haha jk 
  • JHP
    Answer ✓
    Sobe said:
    JHP said:

Jeff

You were right! You thought it could be the bad SSD hard drive! 
    Glad it worked out! Now break some more so we can troubleshoot other stuff haha jk 

Ya know thinking about it - I did download Open Office on the laptop...maybe just maybe..
    It had to be a infant mortality thing with mine - the chirping noise was kind of a dead giveaway

Now when I did fire it up - it went to "installing windows 10 updates" (which took 3 to 7 minutes no big deal)
    BUT it (the laptop) did not have my wi-fi PWD,,,how in cesars ghost does that happen IF you do not have wi fi enabled?
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    >>>how in cesars ghost does that happen IF you do not have wi fi enabled?>>>

Magic. Or wifi is magically enabled. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JHP
    JackE said:

No because on the 2nd boot up (from power down) it needed my wi fi PWD:)
  • Sobe
    Sobe Member Posts: 138 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    JHP said:
    JackE said:

No because on the 2nd boot up (from power down) it needed my wi fi PWD:)
    Interestingly, that happened to me last night. Usually have another reboot, it would automatically connect to wifi. But it didn't! So I had to re enter my password for some reason.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Microsoft Magic.  :o Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• VegasWhoa
    VegasWhoa Member Posts: 79 Devotee WiFi Icon
    JHP said:
    got the win 10 iso 64 file - tried rufus - no luck
    what things on the USB stick do I need to look for that to work?
    The bios sees the stick but almost instantly the laptop shows the BSOD...blah blah blah

the USB (e recov) is formatted to FAT32 and theres a file called
    USBFGPNInfo.ini with nothing in it

I rather try to fix the stick that I paid $50 for 1st...

what EXACT setting do I need to use to use the stick?
    again did the F12 thing - but the bios seems to have other settings "D2D' and all that that might be overiding anything I do
    For rufus to work, I think you have to format the USB as a GPT partition in order for the bios to recognize the drive.  
  • JHP
    VegasWhoa said:
    JHP said:
    got the win 10 iso 64 file - tried rufus - no luck
    what things on the USB stick do I need to look for that to work?
    The bios sees the stick but almost instantly the laptop shows the BSOD...blah blah blah

the USB (e recov) is formatted to FAT32 and theres a file called
    USBFGPNInfo.ini with nothing in it

I rather try to fix the stick that I paid $50 for 1st...

what EXACT setting do I need to use to use the stick?
    again did the F12 thing - but the bios seems to have other settings "D2D' and all that that might be overiding anything I do
    For rufus to work, I think you have to format the USB as a GPT partition in order for the bios to recognize the drive.  

Thanks for the info - I sent the laptop to Temple Texas - it was a SSDHD problem (got it back yesterday) But now as I saw when I 1st looked at this unit - there are only two partitions on the HD - recovery and the storage
  • BigTuna
    BigTuna Member Posts: 1 New User
    This will hopefully save some of you a lot of time (and money if considering calling the out of warranty support). I had not found the solution anywhere online for why the Acer Recovery USB which I purchased would not boot on an Aspire E 15. I was in a no bootable media found/"Insert Recovery Media" loop. Anyway, by trial and error I discovered I had to disable TPM (TCM) in the bios. Once I did that the USB bootable normally. 

I also suspect that if I would have figured this out earlier I could have saved some money by using the Media Creation Tool and Rufus solutions that are out there instead of purchasing the official recovery media.

• JHP
    you know this whole thing is a black art/alchemy for sure
    for me my HD went belly up (had to send the unit to texas) I did get the rec USB stick which is good Ins (hopefully) if the HD crashes again