Upgrade CPU Acer Aspire 5742ZG

popak
popak Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited February 2018 in Legacy Laptops and Netbooks
Hi
I want to upgrade CPU ( Aspire 5742ZG ) P6200 to i5 or i7

1-Can I choose one of the following models?
2-Does the latest BIOS accept the following CPUs?
3-Which item is definitely supported?

i5-460M , i5-480M , i5-520M , i5-540M , i5-560M , i5-580M
i7-620M , i7-640M

Thanks

Best Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    The ZG model only lists the P6100 & P6200 Pentiums as supported. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Sadoo
    Sadoo Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    I also updated and it works :) 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    The one in the picture is an i7-640M...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE
    Answer ✓

You can replace your 2.5" SATA version3 HDD with any 2.5" SATA version3 SSD

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    SATA3 HDDs & SSDs are automatically backward compatible with and automatically downshift speeds to accomodate SATA1 & SATA2 speed capable systems.

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    SATA2 as shown below.

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Answer ✓

Please carefully re-read the title and interface specifications of my image post. This is a SATA2 mainboard bus speed between the HDD/SSD & CPU.

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Please. I think we have semantic misunderstandings.

The SATA-II interface = 3Gb/s speed by definition.

You have a SATA-II mainboard that is backward compatible with a SATA-I HDD at 1.5Gb/s speed. It is also compatible with a SATA-II HDD/SSD at 3Gb/s speed.  It is also compatible with a SATA-III SSD but limited to 3Gb/s speed instead of 6Gb/s due to the 3Gb/s mainboard bus specification shown below.

However, because the SSD does not have the HDD head seek and disk spin bottleneck, the SSD will be noticeably faster than the HDD even if both are running at 3Gb/s R/W speeds.

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    The ZG model only lists the P6100 & P6200 Pentiums as supported. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    The 5742G supports i5-450m, 460m, 560m, 580m AND i3-350m, 370m, 380m.

The 5742ZG only supports the Pentiums.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Derrell
    Derrell Member Posts: 27 Troubleshooter
    edited February 2018
    But Jack, he said in the first video, the i5-580M CPU successfully installs and works on his 5742ZG. But you're saying the 5742ZG only supports the Pentiums. Unless I'm reading it wrong. I have a question, popak, do you know which chipset is in your 5742ZG? Because if it's the Mobile Intel HM55 Express chipset, then that would explain why the i5-580M CPU successfully installs and works. If you take a look at this list of supported processors for the Intel HM55 Express chipset (Socket G1), you'll see the fastest supported processors for the Celeron Dual-Core, Pentium Dual-Core, i3, i5, i7, and Core i7 Mobile Extreme CPUs.

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel_(chipsets)/HM55_Express.html

Copy and paste the whole link.

• Derrell said:
    But Jack, he said in the first video, the i5-580M CPU successfully installs and works on his 5742ZG. But you're saying the 5742ZG only supports the Pentiums. Unless I'm reading it wrong. I have a question, popak, do you know which chipset is in your 5742ZG? Because if it's the Mobile Intel HM55 Express chipset, then that would explain why the i5-580M CPU successfully installs and works. If you take a look at this list of supported processors for the Intel HM55 Express chipset (Socket G1), you'll see the fastest supported processors for the Celeron Dual-Core, Pentium Dual-Core, i3, i5, i7, and Core i7 Mobile Extreme CPUs.

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel_(chipsets)/HM55_Express.html

Copy and paste the whole link.

Hi,
    Yes, it may or may not work, it all depends on the BIOS, the recommended CPU for your model is P6200 but you could try other CPUs suggested in that cpu-upgrade link at your own risk.
  • JackE
    These are the mfr's specs listed for the 2 models. Different mainboards were used in these similar models so they might've been switched wherever the final assembly was done.   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• popak

Tinkerer

Hi
    Thank you all
    If you look at the following bios, look at the following models
    5742 - 5742G - 5742ZG - 5742Z
    BIOS are all the same ( Similar in terms of volume and version and release date )

sample :
    for 5472G :latest bios is v1.30 ( release 2012/11/13 ) and 6.7 MB
    and older bios : v1.27 , v1.26 , v1.25 .... similar to bios 5742ZG

for 5472ZG : latest bios is v1.30 ( release 2012/11/13 ) and 6.7 MB
    and older bios : v1.27 , v1.26 , v1.25 .... similar to bios 5742G , 5472Z , 5742 !!!

I think the BIOS are the four models that are the same !
    ( Similar in terms of volume and version and release date )
    In the BIOS download section, all four models are the same ( 5742-5742G-5742Z-5742ZG )

In the cpu-z software , it showen 5742ZG :
    South Bridge : Intel HM55
    Model : 5742G !
    Socket : 989 rPGA

I searched and posted users on sites , A sign of success . sample :
    http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2337501/cpu-upgrade-acer-aspire-5742zg.html

My goal here was to make sure this is useful , but But I'm not sure .
    what is your opinion ? say or stop ? Final result ?
    sorry for bad language and Thank you very much .
  • JackE
    As brummyfan2 suggested, it's ultimately your decision. But if it were my own 5742ZG laptop, I wouldn't risk it without a good reason. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Gilroy
    Gilroy Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi,
    I successfully upgraded my 5742ZG with i7-620M

(just for the record) ;)
  • JackE
    Congrats on your success. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Sadoo
    Sadoo Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
  • JackE
    Congrats to you too. Good job! Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• popak

Tinkerer

Sadoo said:
    Which CPU model did you use?

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • popak

Tinkerer

billsey said:

Thank you
    The image was not visible to me ( Due to internet filter ) , I used VPN

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,696 Trailblazer
    edited October 2020
    popak said:
    Hi
    I want to upgrade CPU ( Aspire 5742ZG ) P6200 to i5 or i7

1-Can I choose one of the following models?
    2-Does the latest BIOS accept the following CPUs?
    3-Which item is definitely supported?

i5-460M , i5-480M , i5-520M , i5-540M , i5-560M , i5-580M
    i7-620M , i7-640M

Thanks

In future look at this site "CPU-UPGRADE". Get your OEM CPU's specs and look it up on that site, it will give you a full list of your CPU's other spec and the possibility of an upgrade (as from a certain period laptop and the current laptops CPU’s are NOT upgradable) look here: https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/index.html simple!

Btw, I've done many upgrades on the Aspire 57xx, V3 and V5’s and probably all the socket CPU’s that can be upgraded on laptops and they can all be upgraded pretty well from either their lowest spec i3s to the mid spec i5's or the top range i7's type Intel CPU's but you need to also upgrade to a 2.5" SSD and faster RAM to make them fairly useful with the current Win-10 v2004.

• edy4fun
    edy4fun Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hi all! I have an 11 old acer 5742G with his native 8gb of original ram. is there any worth replace them with other 8gb of ram but of a recent fabrication? it will change something in speed? or not? thanks.
  • JackE
    Usually not. Higher speed RAM will only run at the maximum speed allowed by the mainboard 1033MHz. Some earlier mainboards were even lower speed. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• edy4fun
    edy4fun Member Posts: 3 New User
    JackE said:
    Usually not. Higher speed RAM will only run at the maximum speed allowed by the mainboard 1033MHz. Some earlier mainboards were even lower speed. Jack E/NJ
    thanks for the tip. I think I will leave it that way. i already put on an ssd with a caddy in stead of the dvd drive and upgrated the cpu from i5 to i7. It runs faster and smoother. For more than a decade old laptop is quite a great refresh. cheers
  • billsey
    On a lot of the older models like this the ODD is on a SATA2 port and the HDD is on SATA3. Swapping the drives will give it even more speed if that's the case.