How can I fix error message when using USB system recovery drive

Tuer21
Tuer21 Member Posts: 15

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
hello all,
i am trying to restore my Acer laptop model# z5wah, E5-571/E5-531 series. I am using the factory USB system recovery drive that I purchased after the fact due to the fact I couldn’t get laptop to work. Currently I have gone into Bios and enabled the F12 boot menu. When I go through the restore process I get to a screen that says deploy fail, error messsage = create partitions fail, error code= -2147024809
any help would be great on what to do next

thanks
matt

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    edited February 2018
    Enter the BIOS menu again. Make sure D2D recovery option is still also enabled in the MAIN dropdown. Then let me know what Windows version was originally factory-installed on this machine before proceeding any further. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Tuer21

Tinkerer

Yes the d2d recovery is enabled. Version 8.1 64 bit
  • JackE
    OK. First, remove the ACER recovery stick that you purchased. Put it aside for now as you may not need it. Then force turning off your machine by ***pressing & holding*** the power button for about 5 seconds. Then press the power button once to turn the machine back on. Then immediately ***press & hold*** the ALT key while tapping the F10 key. If the hidden ACER Win8.1 recovery partition on your hard drive is still intact and its other partitions aren't damaged, you should be able to restore your system to factory fresh condition without using the recovery stick. Follow this video if the ACER Win8.1 recovery screen appears after using this ALT+F10 keyboard technique.  Jack E/NJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvFRTfFGCgY

Jack E/NJ

• Tuer21

Tinkerer

So I hit the alt f10 key and this message popped up and not like in the video.
  • JackE
    Looks like the hard drive failed. To confirm, F2 back into the BIOS menu.  The INFO dropdown should list the HDD name, model and serial no. as shown in the screenshot if its properly recognised. If not, the HDD is shot. You will need your ACER recovery stick to install Windows onto a new replacement HDD which are fairly cheap and plentiful these days. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Tuer21

Tinkerer

How does that look?
  • JackE
    OK. HDD seems fine according to the BIOS. So my next questions are (1) have you previously tried to install another operating system? (2) If yes, was it as dual boot or as a Win10 upgrade? (3) If no, did your laptop stop working suddenly for no apparent reason?  Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited February 2018
    Step1:  Remove your Acer USB and put it in a safe place.  You'll need it at the end of instructions at step 9.

Step2:  On a different computer, create either a vanilla Windows 8.1 USB drive or a vanilla Windows 10 USB drive.  It doesn't matter which.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Step3:  Go in to your E5-571 BIOS settings and load the defaults (F9) and then save/exit (F10)

Step4:  Go back in to your BIOS settings and enable the F12 boot menu

Step5: Boot the Windows USB that you created in step2

Step6: When you see the language screen below, press Shift+F10 on your keyboard to get a command prompt

Step7.  At the command prompt, type

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk x    (x=your hard drive that you want to wipe clean)  Be careful, don't select the wrong disk number.
    clean
    exit
    exit

Step8: Press and hold your computer's power button until your computer shuts off

Step9:  Remove the vanilla Windows USB and insert your Acer USB

Step10:  Turn on your computer and reset your PC.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Tuer21

Tinkerer

So what happened was I was performing a windows update and it froze so I rebooted the computer. After that it would never go back into Windows. I was still running Windows 8 at the time and never ventured to Windows 10. I got frustrated so I bought the recovery USB to try and get me back to day one. So far no luck. Is there any other screen shots of the bios Windows that might help you out. I have changed a bunch of things in there but also set bios defaults back to factory as well. I never was messing around with a dual boot.
    Matt
  • JordanB
    If you need to backup your files from command prompt

https://appuals.com/how-to-backup-files-from-command-prompt/
  • Tuer21

Tinkerer

Can this vanilla windows be loaded from a Mac as I don’t have another windows base computer besides the one I am having issues with?
  • JordanB
    edited February 2018
    @Tuer21

Yes, you can use a Mac.  There might be a way to get to a command prompt using Acer's USB recovery drive, but unfortunately, I've never actually used an official Acer USB recovery drive, so I don't know if it's possible.  And if it is possible, I don't know how to do it.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-windows-10-installer-usb-drive-mac
  • JordanB
  • Tuer21

Tinkerer

I appreciate the help. I will try and get a USB loaded to install tomorrow. 
  • JordanB
    ok, I would use the windows 8.1 iso instead of the windows 10 iso.  The instructions will work for Windows 8.1.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8
  • Tuer21

Tinkerer

So I borrow a laptop and download the windows 8.1 file and installed it on a USB stick. I walked through the guide like you posted above and followed each step. When I removed new USB and out my recovery USB in I ended up getting the same error message? Any suggestions?
  • Tuer21

Tinkerer

Just reviewing Acer recovery USB to make sure files are on there and that USB can be detected. It all looks good that way. 
  • Tuer21

Tinkerer

So now I really done good. When I reboot computer Acer screen pops up for a second and then a screen that says No Bootable Device. Is this a boat anchor yet?
  • JackE
    There's something wrong with this error message if you actually tried to use the ALT+F10 coldboot recovery method yesterday.  This is NOT the error message that should appear even if the hidden ACER Win8.1 recovery partition is damaged. Please try it again. Completely power down the machine. Then ****IMMEDIATELY**** after turning it back on, press & hold the ALT key while continuously tapping the F10 key. Don't wait for the ACER boot logo screen to appear before doing this ALT+F10 key dance. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Tuer21

Tinkerer

So I tried what you mentioned again and I keep getting the same error message. After I hit enter this screen pops up. Then if I hit escape this other screen pops up