add memory to a AM5640-E5408A desktop

kghMCdKM
kghMCdKM Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited February 29 in 2018 Archives
I would like to add memory to my desktop.  It currently has 3GB of memory with 2 slots.  I believe that I can go to 4 GB's but read somewhere that if I am running Windows 10 that I may be able to add more.  Does anyone have any experience with this desktop or can point me in the right direction?  Many thanks in advance!

Best Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    I believe the maximum supported on that chipset is 4GB, using 2 2GB sticks. You would replace the 1GB you have now with a 2GB. If you're running the 32bit version of Windows it'll only access a bit less than the full 4GB (hence the reason it shipped with 3GB), if you're running the 64bit version it'll use the full 4GB. Swapping OS versions can be a real pain, you can't just upgrade from 32 to 64, you have to wipe and start from scratch. Once on the 64bit version you'll have to reinstall all your programs. Be sure you start the process with a full backup of your data! Windows 7 or 10 doesn't make any difference, only 32 and 64.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    baccachun 

This model has two slots and uses support single channel 64 bit mode with maximum memory size up to 4GB
    Supported memory type: DDR2 533/667/800 un-buffered DIMM (MCP73S), memory voltage 1.8V 
    Supported capacity: Up to 2GB per DIMM with maximum memory size up to 4GB

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Before ordering memory, verify what is already in there. It has to have the same speed in both slots!
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    I believe the maximum supported on that chipset is 4GB, using 2 2GB sticks. You would replace the 1GB you have now with a 2GB. If you're running the 32bit version of Windows it'll only access a bit less than the full 4GB (hence the reason it shipped with 3GB), if you're running the 64bit version it'll use the full 4GB. Swapping OS versions can be a real pain, you can't just upgrade from 32 to 64, you have to wipe and start from scratch. Once on the 64bit version you'll have to reinstall all your programs. Be sure you start the process with a full backup of your data! Windows 7 or 10 doesn't make any difference, only 32 and 64.
  • Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    baccachun 

This model has two slots and uses support single channel 64 bit mode with maximum memory size up to 4GB
    Supported memory type: DDR2 533/667/800 un-buffered DIMM (MCP73S), memory voltage 1.8V 

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    Before ordering memory, verify what is already in there. It has to have the same speed in both slots!
  • kghMCdKM

Tinkerer

Thanks everyone for your replies!!  I appreciate your input!!
  • kghMCdKM

Tinkerer

Sharanji said:
    Hi @baccachun

Thanks very much for your reply!
  • kghMCdKM

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    Thanks very much for your reply!  I have the 64 bit version of Windows 10 so I'm good there.  Do you think that the addition of 1 GB will make a difference in performance?  
  • billsey
    baccachun said:
    Thanks very much for your reply!  I have the 64 bit version of Windows 10 so I'm good there.  Do you think that the addition of 1 GB will make a difference in performance?  
    It depends on your usage. If you are getting into the swap space due to memory usage it'll be a huge difference. If you're not using all the memory available now, it probably won't be big. Fire up Task Manager and look to see if your memory is getting close to max.