New Owner, BIOS Update question plus....

TJD
TJD Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Greetings:  I've got a new Predator Helios PH-317-51 and the Care Center software link tells me that there are 4 updates available for the BIOS -- Update VBIOS, Improve System Performance, Update MRC Code, and Enable HWP Feature.  No explanations are provided, and I'm not sure how to proceed, or in what sequence. My current BIOS is v.1.09, dated 7/6/2017. Are these other BIOS updates critical? Should I install them? 

Also, I have a minor question about PredatorSense. In the Advanced Settings are referenced Sticky Keys and Window Menu Key. I'm not clear what these are or how they are to be used, and the manual is of no help. Can someone give me a basic clue here? Love this software. 

Thank you!

Tim

Best Answer

• Skelomorph
    Skelomorph ACE Posts: 463 Pioneer
    Answer ✓
    BIOS updates are important, however it is suggested that if the laptop is working fine, just leave it alone. I personally keep mine on the latest. Plus in June (sometime in the next couple months) we will be getting BIOS updates to fix Spectre/Meltdown.

As for the option, They either enable/disable the Windows function Sticky Keys (pressing Shift multiple times) or the Windows Key (opens the start menu) on the keyboard. 

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss

Answers

• Skelomorph
    Skelomorph ACE Posts: 463 Pioneer
    Answer ✓
    BIOS updates are important, however it is suggested that if the laptop is working fine, just leave it alone. I personally keep mine on the latest. Plus in June (sometime in the next couple months) we will be getting BIOS updates to fix Spectre/Meltdown.

As for the option, They either enable/disable the Windows function Sticky Keys (pressing Shift multiple times) or the Windows Key (opens the start menu) on the keyboard. 

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss