i have purchased an M.2 SSD for my E5-575-33BM

hunt
hunt Member Posts: 34 Troubleshooter
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
I have searched everywhere for help getting it up and running as my boot up drive and my 1TB HHD as storage. I don't have a clue what to do. there is no info for someone like me that knows absolutely nothing about how to set my laptop up. The only videos I have seen leave out crucial info that they assume I know and I don't.Please help with step by step instructions if anyone knows exactly how to do it. The one I purchased is Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD 2280. It is in place in my laptop just not running.I would really appreciate the help but please be patient I'm not stupid just ignorant.

Best Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,076 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Hi,
    You can follow these steps:
    1. Install MiniTool Partition wizard Free.
    2. Right click the program and select "Run as Admin".
    3. Click Migrate OS.
    4. Select M.2 SSD as the Destination disk. Please don't forget to click "Apply".
    5. Remove the original HDD.
    6. Go to BIOS settings (press F2 at start) make M.2 SSD as the first boot.
    7. Press F10 to save settings.
    8. Start using the laptop.
    9. Once you are happy with it, reinsert the HDD and use Windows Disk management or MiniTool Partition wizard to delete the OS from HDD.
    You could also get familiarise with the MT Partition wizard by reading the tutorial attached.
    https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html
    https://www.partitionwizard.com/help/migrate-os-to-ssd-hd.html#about
  • brummyfan2
    Answer ✓
    Hi,
    I am sorry that you are having problems with the laptop, you should have downloaded the free version, you don't need to format either SSD or the HDD, if you format HDD you will loose everything on that drive, please get hands on help from either any helpers, neighbours or friends.

• hunt
    Answer ✓
    Thanks again for your help but I am between a rock and a hard spot. I have no transportation and no friends or neighbors close by. I have simply made a huge mistake in thinking I would be able to purchase a laptop and upgrade it assuming the market had information on the products they sell. I knew just enough to get myself in a financial disaster. would not be a big deal if I was able to get out and get help but that's simply not an option. I was always the guy everyone called when they needed help but they were never around when I needed help so I pretty much spent my whole life not depending on others and now it has finally caught me in an unfavorable situation. You have been very helpful with the information you have given me. Like I said I have no one to blame but myself. Its almost impossible to get enough information about computers without buying one. Then its to late. By the time you figure out exactly what upgrades your pc takes and its delivered then research how to make it work 30 days have come and gone along with any chance of returning purchases. Sorry again for venting. I'm just so frustrated. Its all a total loss for me because I'm stuck with all of it and cant use it. Hope your having a better month than me. You know if it had not taken me 6 months to save up the money and the process of doing without things I really needed it wouldn't bother me so much. Thanks

Answers

• brummyfan2
    Answer ✓
    Hi,
    You can follow these steps:
    1. Install MiniTool Partition wizard Free.
    2. Right click the program and select "Run as Admin".
    3. Click Migrate OS.
    4. Select M.2 SSD as the Destination disk. Please don't forget to click "Apply".
    5. Remove the original HDD.
    6. Go to BIOS settings (press F2 at start) make M.2 SSD as the first boot.
    7. Press F10 to save settings.
    8. Start using the laptop.
    9. Once you are happy with it, reinsert the HDD and use Windows Disk management or MiniTool Partition wizard to delete the OS from HDD.
    You could also get familiarise with the MT Partition wizard by reading the tutorial attached.
    https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html
    https://www.partitionwizard.com/help/migrate-os-to-ssd-hd.html#about
  • hunt
    that is by far the most useful info I have got so far. Thanks. I will give it a shot. I was trying to format my SSD and it kept telling me that may cause a problem. Thats when I figured out that I needed to format my HHD first before I could go further. but your saying to remove it from my laptop and make my SSD my boot drive first then reinstall it, That makes sense. Well I downloaded minitool and now Im really confused because it isnt just a download its several and I dont know which one to use. Im really getting frustrated now. Im ready to just hang it up and send it back. I guess I dont need it that bad. At least not bad enough to go through so much to do something that seems so easy. Every time I think I have it something else is wrong. thanks for your time ,sorry I wasted it.
  • hunt
     Well I downloaded mini tool partition and it said I needed to purchase $40 worth of hardware to do this install. I guess that is the final straw that broke me. I spent everything I had to get this SSD. I live on a disability check of $500 a month. I cant afford to do this. No one has said anything about buying anything else to load this on a new laptop. If I could send the laptop back I would but its been a week to long. Thanks for the help but I guess nothing is free.
  • hunt
     you cant possibly know how upset I am about this situation. I wish I had never heard of Acer and how easy it is to upgrade this laptop. Sorry I'm just really upset . I do appreciate all your help. At least I learned something but I could have gone the rest of my life without this frustration. Just went to the Dr last week and they found problems in my bloodwork. they wanted me to come back in but I couldn't afford to go back until my disability comes again. Oh well life sucks then you die. Have a great day and thanks again.
  • brummyfan2
    Answer ✓
    Hi,
    I am sorry that you are having problems with the laptop, you should have downloaded the free version, you don't need to format either SSD or the HDD, if you format HDD you will loose everything on that drive, please get hands on help from either any helpers, neighbours or friends.

• hunt
    Answer ✓
    Thanks again for your help but I am between a rock and a hard spot. I have no transportation and no friends or neighbors close by. I have simply made a huge mistake in thinking I would be able to purchase a laptop and upgrade it assuming the market had information on the products they sell. I knew just enough to get myself in a financial disaster. would not be a big deal if I was able to get out and get help but that's simply not an option. I was always the guy everyone called when they needed help but they were never around when I needed help so I pretty much spent my whole life not depending on others and now it has finally caught me in an unfavorable situation. You have been very helpful with the information you have given me. Like I said I have no one to blame but myself. Its almost impossible to get enough information about computers without buying one. Then its to late. By the time you figure out exactly what upgrades your pc takes and its delivered then research how to make it work 30 days have come and gone along with any chance of returning purchases. Sorry again for venting. I'm just so frustrated. Its all a total loss for me because I'm stuck with all of it and cant use it. Hope your having a better month than me. You know if it had not taken me 6 months to save up the money and the process of doing without things I really needed it wouldn't bother me so much. Thanks
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Think I understand what you are trying to do: You have an E5-57x. It has a slot for a second M.2 drive and you have a Samsung EVO SSD (a good choice). And want to move everything currently on an original 1TB rotating drive to the EVO 250GB. Is this correct ?

Next, you have installed the EVO in your laptop but it is not available (because it has not been formatted). If so I would do that first and not going to talk about anything that is not already on your device. Does it show up as a second drive in DISKMGMT.MSC ? Mine shows up as a basic drive with 232.87GB (manufacturers use different values for a GB)

Here is a screenshot of the end state on my R11. Disk0 is the EVO, Disc 1 is a SDXC. I have the EVO partitioned as C (system and programs) and D (data) just because I do and makes backup easy. I used System Image and a recovery Flash to save the original system then load the EVO this transferred the 100MB boot partition, my C&D drives, and a 500 MB recovery partition (is smaller because I have the external recovery and image drives.

I *suspect* but have never tried that you could shrink the 1TB "C" by the amount currently on C, create a new NTFS partition, and save the System Image there, but I have always used an external drive. If so you could then boot from the Recovery flash drive, go into "troubleshooting" and load the EVO from the System Image. You should be able to do this with what you already have but I'd need to know how much space on the C drive is in use now (suspect it is less than 100GB) to recommend sizes. You will also need an 8GB or larger flash drive.

Am willing to help and as mentioned you should already have what you need (except possibly the flash drive).

btw the warning you received was generic and happens every time you format a drive. If you have nothing on it (and are sure the EVO is selected - see the size in the picture) nothing is going to be lost. OTOH can let Recovery and the Image handle everything. Do not need to remove or reallocate the 1TB drive (or can even leave as is and use as a backup drive) other than the shrink and reallocate. In fact SI will tell you how much space it needs to have (mine says 59 GB is compressed and why requires NTFS) but I'd allocate 100GB or so. 10% of 1TB.

Screen shot showing it is possible to save a system image on a second partition in the disk being imaged (will get a warning). Ignore the Win 7 note, machine is Win 10. Only requirement is formatted NTFS, and bigger than the image you are creating. Can get to Control Panel with win-R.

• hunt
    I have a 64 GB Samsung flash drive with my default system backed up on it.My 1TB HDD has 51.2 GB used and my 860 EVO shows 249 GB with 32.4 GB used. I moved EVO in BIOS up one space above 1TB HDD in BOOT section but it is not functioning as bootup. I have done other small things but cant recall exactly what which has caused to be very leery of going further alone. I dont want to do anything that will cause me not to be able to use my laptop. Almost everything you explained to me I did not understand. Im not a person that is familiar with computers. I barely know how to operate one much less understand terminology I have never heard in my life. Im totally ignorant of commputers and feel the only possible way I could accomplish this task is a step by step video with excellent instructions as if talking to a child. I have searched utube and its just not there. i appreciate all of your assistance but I just need more detailed help because like I said Im just not lingo savy.
  • hunt
    What I am trying to do is change the factory installed 1TB HDD from boot drive to storage and new 860 EVO 250 GB SSD to my boot drive. I dont know another way to say it. I that is not the way to say it please inform me so I dont continue to sound like an *****. Im doing my best to understand what people are explaining to me but Im not having much luck. Seems like Im getting further and further from my goal. I tried contacting Acer and that is the biggest joke I have ever heard. I honestly dont know they stay in buisness. I have called five times with the same question and got five totally different answers. That has got to be why they created this community. It is the only place to get answers. Im just step below where I need to be to get the true benefit of this knowledge base. I am very thankful for its existance and all the knowledgeable people willing to help.
  • hunt
    I have obviously done something to this SSD that it will not allow me to format it. This is so frustrating. It seems like Im getting further and further away from my goal. Nothing is working in my favor. I guess I have had to many different people guiding me and gotten in trouble with my laptop. Feels like this will never happen.
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited February 2018
    @hunt

Step1:
    Create a USB factory recovery drive---watch video below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfKn87nk0F4

Step2: After your USB recovery drive has been successfully created, turn off your computer and unplug the AC charging adapter.

Step3:  Remove your HDD (Hard Drive) module, and set it down in a safe place.

Step4: Install your M.2 SSD.  There are videos on youtube that show how to install an M.2 SSD on an E5-575.  Insert it an angle as per video.  Make sure you screw it down with the correct screw.  You just need one screw.  If your M.2 SSD didn't come with a screw, you can purchase from link below or contact Samsung.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=2RC-00MF-00007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzYePaxunAI

Step5: Reassemble computer, but do not re-install your Hard Drive.

Step6:  Plug in your computer to the AC adapter and insert your USB factory recovery drive that you created in step1 in to a USB port.

Step7:  Turn on your computer (your computer will automatically boot your USB recovery drive)

Step8:  Reset your PC.

Step9:  After your computer is reset to factory settings, wait several hours so your computer can receive and install Windows updates.

Step10:   After Windows 10 is fully updated,  shutdown your computer and unplug AC adapter and reinstall your HDD (Hard Drive) and reassemble.

That's it.

If you need more assistance, you can contact Samsung or a local computer shop near you.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    "I have obviously done something to this SSD that it will not allow me to format it." How have you ben trying to format it ? Any chance you can open diskmgmt.msc (win-R & enter) with it connected and post a screenshot ? Will probably be listed as Disk 1. Is one more step under diskmgmt but let's not go there yet.
  • hunt
    Yes i have done that and it says its in use and it will not allow me to go further. I dont know how to do a screen shot.
  • JordanB
    edited February 2018
    You shouldn't partition or format your M.2 SSD.   If you format your SSD, then my instructions probably won't work.  If you format or initialize/partition your SSD as MBR partition style, then my instructions definitely won't work.  You've been asking for advice on this forum and not a single person has told you to format your SSD, yet you are trying to format it. Doesn't make any sense.
  • hunt
    I am just about ready to pull it out of my laptop and destroy it. there is something that is assumed I know that Im not being told or my system is not like other laptops that are other brands or models. I really dont know but I know that what Im being guided to do is not working at all. I have not made any progress since day one. Im so upset about the fact that Acer techs dont know squat about Acer laptops. To me that is absolutely rediculous. My patience is almost nonexisstant. I can not understand why there is not more information on this subject. Why the hell doesnt Acer know their own products. Not one out of five could give me the same answer to the same question. Sorry but Im really upset about this ***** and it isnt getting any better.
  • JordanB
    I've read your comments on this forum, and I find them not only ridiculous, but also absurd.

I want to install an optional supercharger on my Toyota truck.  But I can't afford it, because I don't know how to install it myself.   I don't have the know how or aptitude as a mechanic.  I don't go on the Toyota forum and complain and blame others for my lack of mechanic skills.  
  • hunt
    Did you not understand when I said I called Acer 5 times with same question got 5 different answers? the question was what was maximum GB  M.2 SSD that could be installed in my laptop? One tech said 4 TB and the others were just as stupid. thats what I was referring to. You dont seem to be very accommodating or understanding and before I say something rude I would prefer you not participate in this conversation. by the way are you an Acer TECH MR. JordanB?
  • hunt
    The last guy I talked to said to format. I need to talk to one person so I dont get crossed info. I tell you what I really dont appreciate a smart *****. I said from the beggining that I did not know what I was doing. That is why I came here for help. just forget trying to help me I will do whatever I can or decide whether it is throw this thing away or whatever its my choice. I definately dont need someone insulting me. I thought this site had more class but I guess there is always a bad apple in the barrel.
  • JordanB
    edited February 2018
    You're right.  My mistake.  @padgett did, unfortunately tell you to format it.  I will let padgett explain why he had you format it and fix things.  Good luck.
  • hunt
    I will no longer attempt assistance in my inability to get the 860 EVO SSD up and running as my boot drive. It seems to have caused problems that I really don't know what they are. thanks to those that tried to help.