Web cam driver on Acer Aspire 7 A715-71G missing

eirikb
eirikb Member Posts: 3 New User
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
My computer is currently using a web cam driver from Microsoft (2006(!)). IDs: USB\VID_0408&PID_A060&REV_0001&MI_00
USB\VID_0408&PID_A060&MI_00. 

The camera quality is dreadful! Are there no newer drivers, specifically made for this camera? I remembered using the Crystal Eye Web Cam program on my older acer computer. I tried to install it (found a version for a completely different model), and it does indeed give a better image, but still much worse than my 7 years older Acer Aspire 5750G! I have tried to locate the drivers on the Driver Support site, but it does not exist. Anyone have had similar issues, and managed to solve this?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer
    Google "viewplaycap.rar" "amazon" with the quotes. Try the viewplaycap link in the Amazon borescope ad. It's a compressed file for viewplaycap software that works well on some systems for both external and the internal cams. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• eirikb
    There was unfortunately no difference between the ViewPlayCap and the Crystal Eye application (they seem to use the same menu). After some tweaking of the settings in the Crystal Eye program I was able to remove the horrible noise by disabling auto exposure. After some use however, I have noticed that the camera is not in focus. Placing my palm 5 cm away from the camera makes it much sharper than my face. I have also noted that there is a setting for focusing, but it is greyed out. I am guessing there is nothing to do about that... 
    Looks like external web camera is the only solution (although this was not necessary on my 7 years older acer laptop! Cannot believe the camera quality can be degraded over all those years!)
  • JackE
    I've also found that many WinXP era drivers are still used as defaults in later WinVers for peripheral staples like webcams, BT, etc. Have you tried any of the other webcam freeware? Here are the possible modules in your system if they're not specifically identified. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• eirikb
    edited February 2018
    I tried to find drivers for the cameras you listed, but was lead to either Lenovo or Asus driver support. Tried to install those, but running the setup did nothing. I want to stress that I believe this is a driver issue, so downloading webcam software, as you mention, will probably do no good. What I need is a working driver. I suppose there is a driver out there, at least something better than the clearly outdated 2006 driver! There is, however, no way for me to find it as I have no idea what make the camera is. 

Another funny thing with the Microsoft 2006 driver is the white balance settings. In the adjustment panel there is a slider which goes from 2800-6500K. At 2800 my face is completely purple. If I check the "auto" setting, the color is better, but my skin has still has a blue tint. For some reason the white balance applied when the auto function is on, cannot be replicated within the 2800-6500K manual range (which goes from purple to solid orange). That is the driver is capable of adjusting the white balance beyond the values available in the manual range. This further confirms my suspicion that this is a driver issue.
  • JackE
    >>>There is, however, no way for me to find it as I have no idea what make the camera is. >>>

I guess the only way to find out if it's the Liteon, Chicony or Tech-Front, is to pop it open and look for the ACER KS part number.  Those were the only makes of wecam+mic modules listed for the A715-71G. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ