Totally screwed by Acer Warranty - My Story

ARegret
ARegret Member Posts: 4 New User
edited February 2018 in Predator Laptops
In the last week
Acer has ruined my life and devastated my family. I am a student with renders to do in 4th year and I will have to take 1 year off my studies to afford a replacement to continue my courses to graduate because acer wont repair their computer still under warranty.

I bought a $2500 acer predator notebook for my computer science studies that died and acer won't repair it even under warranty!

There were tons of problem with the notebook that got progressively worse. I called acer 3 times with different new problems to service the unit. I didnt have time to send in the unit because I was using the computer for my studies.

In the end the 4th problem killed  off the computer for good. It turned off after a windows update and never turned on again.

I cleaned it off with a humid towell before I sent it to acer and they claim there is water damage and they won't even attempt a repair at any cost even though the computer is still under the 2 year warranty. 

So now that I dont have a choice to send it in they wont repair it. They want to sent it back to me unrepaired even though its still under the 2 year warranty just so I can look at the 2500 dollar mistake I made.

So now I have lost over two thousand dollars of my scholarship money. 

I am a student with renders to do in 4th year and I will have to take over 1 year off my studies to afford a replacement to continue my courses to graduate

Acer has ruined my life and devastated my family. I am in tears because I will not graduate in time with my fiancee. All because of acer.

This is a very bitter lesson. I will never buy anything acer makes again. I will throw all the acer products in my house in the garbage. 

Congratulation acer! If your motto is; "How will you make your mark?" trust me you trully made your mark by leaving me with a worthless 2500 dollar brick and 1 year behind in my studies. 

Everyone avoid acer at all cost!

I should've never bought an acer. I should've bought an asus notebook - asus covers their product no matter what for at least a year. 

Next time I will gladly pay more for their competitors.

Horrible company.

Answers

• Queen6
    Queen6 Member Posts: 319 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    You have my sympathies, equally not much we can do here.  Depending on your country you may well be protected by consumer law and or if purchased with a credit card you too may be protected against such events.

As for Acer you can only request for the issue to be elevated, and generally educational institutions have computer labs.  I also think you will be better served here by asking the community for assistance and solution for the issue at hand that prevents the notebook from starting. Calmly document the problems in a new post and see what turns up; personally I'd be setting all to default from the battery reset, BIOS, initialising the system drive, up to and including replacing it.

Q-6
  • Rares95
    Rares95 Member Posts: 120 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    edited February 2018
    I have the buzzing issue that's driving me mad. The speaker starts buzzing whenever i transfer files or play videogames (even old ones). I can't send it in for repairs because this is my only driver, with a lot of files and stuff on it. I'm not in my home country either as I'm studying abroad... so I can't afford to have 2 weeks without a laptop, as I need it for my projects. Never going ACER again either, poor QC

All I hope is that the buzzing issue won't turn into something worse - and that it can at least hold until the summer for the vacation...
  • ARegret
    ARegret Member Posts: 4 New User
    Rares95 said:
    I have the buzzing issue that's driving me mad. The speaker starts buzzing whenever i transfer files or play videogames (even old ones). I can't send it in for repairs because this is my only driver, with a lot of files and stuff on it. I'm not in my home country either as I'm studying abroad... so I can't afford to have 2 weeks without a laptop, as I need it for my projects. Never going ACER again either, poor QC

All I hope is that the buzzing issue won't turn into something worse - and that it can at least hold until the summer for the vacation...
    Ya for me its started with that static background noise after about a month of ownership. I wanted to return it but it was to late. Ever since then it went downhill and I hated my decision of choosing acer. 

At about 8 months the computer would constantly crash when the gpu would be under heavy load. 

At 1.5 months the computer would crash after any gpu extensive task and after an windows update it frooze and after turning it off it died. 

The notebook would turn on, but the screen would stay black so it was unusable. 

Now Acer wont repair it because they say the unit was wet when I gave it to them because I wiped the dust off of it with a damp towel when the computer was already dead.
  • Rares95
    Rares95 Member Posts: 120 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Rares95 said:

Ya for me its started with that static background noise after about a month of ownership. I wanted to return it but it was to late. Ever since then it went downhill and I hated my decision of choosing acer. 

At about 8 months the computer would constantly crash when the gpu would be under heavy load. 

At 1.5 months the computer would crash after any gpu extensive task and after an windows update it frooze and after turning it off it died. 

The notebook would turn on, but the screen would stay black so it was unusable. 

Now Acer wont repair it because they say the unit was wet when I gave it to them because I wiped the dust off of it with a damp towel when the computer was already dead.
    Sue them, if there isn't liquid damage on the motherboard (extreme corrosion etc), they have no basis for their claim
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Hi ARegret,

I'm sorry that you're having issues with your Acer Predator warranty.  Can you please send me a PM with the S/N of your unit so I can look into this for you?

Thanks,

Acer-Manny

• Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    edited February 2018
    Hello Rares95,

Sorry to hear your having issues, just to clarify, the Acer Forum Discussions were designed as a peer to peer support community where Acer users help other Acer users. This community is not a direct portal to Customer service, although you will notice that some Acer employees interact with members when appropriate. But primarily we want the community to be a place where members can exchange their own advice and ideas.

Now it looks like you might have contacted Acer already and given an option to send it for repair under warranty, but as explained on the post you won’t sent it to repair. Unfortunately I don’t have a way to access the information on the system for follow up but it looks like we are willing to help you when you ready to send it in for repair, we need to have the computer physically with a technician to be able to repair it, please contact your local Acer support center when ready and will be happy to help.

Thanks,

Acer-Manny

• Cendar
    Cendar Member Posts: 3 New User
    I'm with you, ARegret, it's the only and last time I'll bought an Acer product. Very disapointed with the customer support in my country. And I'm feeling like I burned my money for nothing.
  • mateoo
    mateoo Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited February 2018
    I am also with you. I sent my laptop to Acer Service because of overheating issues(near 100°C) and they cleaned my laptop. It was half year old at that time. They sent back a clean laptop, and they could decrease temps by a few degrees, but still not enough, and the garbage thermal paste got wrong in only just 1 month, so I decided to rapaste it myself, because Acer would not have repasted it with a better thermal paste. I had to make a decision. The nearly 100°C kills my laptop in 3 years, after running out of warranty time, or rapaste it, and hope that it will work fine(70°C with MX 4 paste during gaming). But the negative effect of that is I void warranty, but no better choice because of the useless Service(I found blots or something like that on motherboard when I teared it down). Today my laptop is working fine, but without warranty, by my paste, by my money and work. As I read, I am not the only one, who bumped into these problems. A big company like Acer must not let the user feel unsatisfied, and spent huge amount of money on a product like this. I will never buy Acer again. 

Laptop type: Acer Predator G5-793-76FM

• Sschwarz
    Sschwarz Member Posts: 1 New User
    I feel for you man. I have just found myself in the biggest load of ***** situation with Acer aswell. I bought an Acer Predator 17 GX-792 April 2018. October 2019 the thing just died, i don't game, i barely used it actually, it was my laptop i took when i did engineering contract work. i opened up a ticket at that time but no-one came from postal service to pick it up so i left it as i bought a Metabox (which has been amazing for $1500, hasnt skipped a beat). I spent $3500 on it and got a touch over a year and a half use out of it (5 months out of warranty). I just got a response back after sending it to Acer to get fixed saying that it was a faulty motherboard, no boot, no display and have been quoted $5500!! This is absolutely disguisting and their products are downright horrible for this to happen, their idea of service is worse. I am in the engineering industry and Acer can be rest assured that their name will be dragged through the mud. What a joke.

Im sure that the ACCC covers the fact that it wasnt a user issue, a laptop of that price is expected to work for... 3 years if i remember correctly. ill have to find that clause.

Acer is phenomenally disappointing. Get Metabox!! spend thousands less and get proper service and product.

• Yash3
    Yash3 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Queen6 said:
    You have my sympathies, equally not much we can do here.  Depending on your country you may well be protected by consumer law and or if purchased with a credit card you too may be protected against such events.

As for Acer you can only request for the issue to be elevated, and generally educational institutions have computer labs.  I also think you will be better served here by asking the community for assistance and solution for the issue at hand that prevents the notebook from starting. Calmly document the problems in a new post and see what turns up; personally I'd be setting all to default from the battery reset, BIOS, initialising the system drive, up to and including replacing it.

Q-6
    They keep doing the same to me.  I sent my laptop 4 times and when i asked for replacment they refused.   And still i have so many problems with it.   I cant do my studies because the mistake i made by getting a acer product.    I am finding a way to sue this company