e recovery stick guidance

JHP
JHP Member Posts: 114 Fixer WiFi Icon
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
I am going to get my stick very soon for my E15 laptop - is there any caveats I need to hinder when I use it? Is it just as simple as adj your bios to boot from the USB and boom?

Jeff

Best Answers

• JHP
    Answer ✓
    The laptop is home...all ok so far and acer does give you a repair sheet (it was military grade packaged) My buga-boo was a bad SSD hard drive - thanks again to all that gave me so much info and help and will keep the board informed on anything strange...its christmas for me in Feb:)

Jeff

• JHP
    Answer ✓
    Sobe said:
    JHP said:
    The laptop is home...all ok so far and acer does give you a repair sheet (it was military grade packaged) My buga-boo was a bad SSD hard drive - thanks again to all that gave me so much info and help and will keep the board informed on anything strange...its christmas for me in Feb:)

Jeff

You were right! You thought it could be the bad SSD hard drive! 
    Glad it worked out! Now break some more so we can troubleshoot other stuff haha jk 

Ya know thinking about it - I did download Open Office on the laptop...maybe just maybe..
    It had to be a infant mortality thing with mine - the chirping noise was kind of a dead giveaway

Now when I did fire it up - it went to "installing windows 10 updates" (which took 3 to 7 minutes no big deal)
    BUT it (the laptop) did not have my wi-fi PWD,,,how in cesars ghost does that happen IF you do not have wi fi enabled?

Answers

• JHP
    got my stick - any guidance?  Like does the BIOS be default 1st
  • Sobe
    Sobe Member Posts: 138 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Jeff,

you can just stick the USB and turn on the computer and hopefully it will boot to the usb.  If it doesn't boot to it, you may need to press the F8 or whichever key to get to the boot menu. 
    You can also go into bios and change the boot order setting.

The best thing for me was to plug the usb, and turn on computer, and press the F8 or whatever key to bring up the boot menu. Then choose the USB.  
  • JHP
    Sobe said:
    Jeff,

you can just stick the USB and turn on the computer and hopefully it will boot to the usb.  If it doesn't boot to it, you may need to press the F8 or whichever key to get to the boot menu. 
    You can also go into bios and change the boot order setting.

The best thing for me was to plug the usb, and turn on computer, and press the F8 or whatever key to bring up the boot menu. Then choose the USB.  

I have done that... the BIOS sees the USB stick (did it with the F12 boot menu;no luck) (adjusted the bios to see stick and the boot order - no luck) - but in a few seconds I see the BSOD ntfs.sys failed _paged files in a non-paged area (I am 99% sure this is a hard drive problem) The files off the USB have no where to go
  • Sobe
    edited February 2018
    1. in bios, check if secure boot is enabled? If it is, try disabling and vice versa
    2. try a different usb port
    3. are you able to boot into Windows? If it's Windows 10, you can go to settings and do a recovery there. It will take you to the light blue screen with many options to recover.
    4. when you press f12 for the boot menu, can you list all what's on the menu? Some times it would say boot to usb device, but also will show the name of the usb device.... 
  • JHP
    I Am really sure that the HD is shot
    did the F12 thing - the BIOS saw it - THEN the BSOD ntfs.sys failed - "paged file in a non-paged are comes up"

no not able to boot to windows...I would have had this thing fixed by then - thanks for your replies tho:)
    Jeff

and really messed with the bios to enable - disable secure boot ; messed with the leagacy setting all of that too -

• Sobe
    Well, I don't think booting to USB will interfere with HD. You are getting a bsod because it's trying to boot to the HD which the Windows OS is corrupted.

Our goal is to get it to boot to the USB stick. I'm wondering if the acer usb stick is set up wrong and not bootable.

Do you have another computer AND usb stick (format it to fat32) where you can use to install the recovery media for windows 10? https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

• JHP
    edited February 2018
    got the win 10 iso 64 file - tried rufus - no luck
    what things on the USB stick do I need to look for that to work?
    The bios sees the stick but almost instantly the laptop shows the BSOD...blah blah blah

the USB (e recov) is formatted to FAT32 and theres a file called
    USBFGPNInfo.ini with nothing in it

I rather try to fix the stick that I paid $50 for 1st...

what EXACT setting do I need to use to use the stick?
    again did the F12 thing - but the bios seems to have other settings "D2D' and all that that might be overiding anything I do
  • Sobe
    edited February 2018
    Ok. Let's forget the win 10 and rufus.

That link I provided https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 will allow you to create Windows 10 recovery media on USB.

It's really easy as I have done this before.

1. Make sure you can access a different computer.
    2. Then get like a blank USB stick with more than 8GB on it.
    3. Make sure it's formatted to fat32.
    4. On that link I gave you, click "download tool now". The file should be called MediaCreationtool.exe. Go ahead and run it.
    5. When you open it, a purple box will appear. You're going to accept the license, etc... until you get to the part where it says 

"What do you want to do?" 
    o - Update this PC now
    o - Create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) for another PC

You will want to choose the second one. It will create a file on your usb file that is bootable. Try that and let me know please. :) 
  • JHP
    and the different computer is my buga-boo do not have another win 10 machine available to mess around win 10 media creation tool and all that - thats why I went out and spent the $$$ for the e-stick..

oh well - I really do thank you for your time and effort:)
  • Sobe
    I don't think you need to have another win 10 machine available. As long as your buga-boo machine has Win 7 or above. Try it. 

Although you thank me for time and effort, i'm dying to get this resolve... 
  • JHP
    so in other words - the stick I spent $50 for is only a mem stick (soon to be a blank 32GB) and the files that are on there are useless..I wish I knew how to troubleshoot the files needed and files that are "bad" on this stick I got today
  • Sobe
    I wouldn't delete the acer usb stick. I recommend you getting another usb stick that is  8GB or more. 
  • JHP
    Sobe said:
    I wouldn't delete the acer usb stick. I recommend you getting another usb stick that is  8GB or more. 
    I realize that - but if those files dont work or are useless IF I need to recover the laptop again...what good are they if they dont do the job?

I see in the bios that theres a TPM setting - havent messed with it yet but I can clear it - as it is now with this e cov stick I think I can do it...

may have to go to a comp shop and do the win 10 media thing...
  • Sobe
    I would then contact acer regarding usb stick they sent you and yes try to do the win 10 media thing at a friend's house or comp shop 
  • JHP
    dont think this means anything - but the USB description is "toshiba MSFT NORB"
  • JHP
    Sobe said:
    I would then contact acer regarding usb stick they sent you and yes try to do the win 10 media thing at a friend's house or comp shop 

will do and again thanks for guidance and effort - how do I contact ACER on the stick thing?
    any link?

• JHP
    and just more thing - to anyone reading these threads - NEVER order the e recov stick from acer

as us old coots say " a pig and a poke"

• Sobe
    Funny thing is, I receive the acer usb stick and it worked fine. I'm not sure if they just gave you a bad one since you mentioned booting to the usb and getting a bsod

You can contact acer below. You can chat with them as well. Scroll to the bottom.
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact

But I didn't use the acer usb stick. I rather just installed from windows media creation with no bloatware.
    Product key would automatically be activated.
  • JHP
    edited February 2018
    as it is - my odyssey is just beginning - the laptop needs to be shipped to texas,,,
    OH BOY!!!
    dont know why the files didnt work (or I couldnt get the right ones from ACER) from the USB ($50 down the drain) but it might have worked - I guess I needed more chicken bones and a witch doctor

and again the BSOD comes up rather quick (doing the F12 thing) and there are so many settings in the BIOS that can mess with that also

Like TPM..what is that?
    Secure boot - I know I needed to disable that but there are other settings that can be adjusted and maybe still I am doing something wrong

and did chat with ACER - nice customer service person...just not good news
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    edited February 2018
    Jeff---Even though you have about 4mos left on the warranty, I wouldn't wait too long to setup the warranty service. First get your machine's serial numbeer ID or SNID---It's probably on the box it came in or on a machine label. Then click on the Acer Service link at the bottom of this page. Then click US. Then click contact support. Then scroll to the bottom of the next page to contact in-warranty technical support by phone or chat. Jack E/NJ

PS---I see you did already. Good show. I think it's the best way to get you up and running again.

Jack E/NJ