CPU overheating to 92 degree Celsius in the predator laptop?

Meric
Meric Member Posts: 7 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I purchased my Acer Predator Helios 300 laptop 3 days ago from amazon. I have been using it since yesterday, and when I play games like GTA V for 1 hour, the average CPU temperature goes up to 90 degree Celsius. In the idle my CPU stays with 50 degree Celsius. Is there something wrong with my laptop? Because the gtx 1060 GPU is not hot, it has average of 76 degree Celsius while the CPU has 90. Should I send it back for a replacement?

Answers

• Queen6
    Queen6 Member Posts: 319 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Helios 300 is a relatively thin & light gaming notebook, nor is it noted for the best cooling solution.  Open Acer Quick Access and turn on CoolBoost, this pushes the fans harder once past 85C, at the cost of increased fan noise.  Look at the threads regarding undervolting with ThrottleStop. My own Predator 17 G9 793 runs 10C-15C cooler with CoolBoost on, CPU Core & Cache undervolt of -128mV, stock OEM thermal compound, Turbo Boost enabled, all CPU cores at max frequency. 

Elevate the rear or place the notebook on a cooling pad to improve the air flow, although the pads fans in general don't do much in the way of cooling.  If the game is not CPU intensive disabling Turbo Boost with ThrottleStop will also have an appreciable effect on the temperature. Consider Vsync (may require Triple Buffering on in NVidia Control Panel) as any more FPS than the display can physically refresh is mostly just generating additional heat.  Check to see if W10 Game Bar is not recording as this kills FPS and again drives up temperature. If the high temperatures persist then the only alternative is to replace the thermal compound on the CPU/GPU.

If I'm correct GTA V is CPU intensive so associated high temperatures are to be expected, a replacement notebook may run cooler or hotter, luck of the draw on the paste job at the factory. equally not significantly so.

Q-6
  • Meric
    edited February 2018
    So, today I played PUBG on very low settings. My CPU went to 97 degree Celsius, while in the use of %56 CPU. Should I send my computer back to ACER? The predator sense cooling was in auto mode, and cooler booster is always on. The airflow of the laptop is also open. I mean nothing is blocking the bottom side of my laptop. But still my CPU gets very hot, while the GPU stays in average 75 degree.
  • If you ever hit 97C, yes you should send it in for repair. 97C is the temperature the CPU begins to throttle, stopping it from going higher and decreasing performance. If it would hit 100C, it would turn off.

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss
  • Meric
    So, where should I send my laptop, how is the process? I bought it on amazon 2 weeks ago. Also, my laptop has screen bleeding that I hate looking at. Would they change it too? Should I request a replacement? Should I call amazon or acer?
  • If its still in the return period for Amazon, I would go through them. Remember, there is guarantee that the temperatures will come back better. Same for the screen, it might not come back better either.

Both could come back worse. 90C is high, but its not hitting the throttle limit (97c). The choice is yours.

Like my original post shows, do you have something under the laptop to allow for good airflow like a cooling pad? That will drastically help temperatures.

Skelo
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

- Dr. Seuss
  • Meric
    I decided to not return my laptop. I will buy a cooling pad. Which cooling pad is the best for predator helios 300, 15’6 inch laptop?
    I have another question. Is my pc overclocked? My CPU has 3.600 frequency all the time. My GPU has 1.800 frequency while playing PUBG. Maybe that is the reason of my CPU to overheat to 97 degrees. How can I find out if it is overclocked and how can I un overclock it?
  • Skelomorph
    Skelomorph ACE Posts: 463 Pioneer
    edited February 2018
    Meric said:
    I decided to not return my laptop. I will buy a cooling pad. Which cooling pad is the best for predator helios 300, 15’6 inch laptop?
    I have another question. Is my pc overclocked? My CPU has 3.600 frequency all the time. My GPU has 1.800 frequency while playing PUBG. Maybe that is the reason of my CPU to overheat to 97 degrees. How can I find out if it is overclocked and how can I un overclock it?
    You have to manually overclock. They do not come pre-overclocked. The Intel CPU can reach up to 3.8GHz single core with turbo boost. 3.6GHz is the max turbo for 2 cores. Any cooling pad will do as long as it keeps the laptop elevated to allow the best airflow possible. 

If you are getting to 97C, there is no way to fix it because it has a crappy pasting job. The only fix is to repaste. Otherwise you have to deal with the high temperatures and possible game lag from temperature throttling.

Skelo

- Dr. Seuss
  • asad814
    asad814 Member Posts: 371 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    bro i also have overheating problems my temps were 98 and sometimes 99...so i apply thermal paste by myself and now the temps are in mid 70s cheers
  • asad814 said:
    bro i also have overheating problems my temps were 98 and sometimes 99...so i apply thermal paste by myself and now the temps are in mid 70s cheers
    Do remember though, repasting yourself voids your warranty. It is highly recommended to send it to Acer and let them do it so people can still have their warranty.

Skelo

- Dr. Seuss
  • asad814
    Skelomorph my laptop's warranty is expired

• Meric
    I just don't want to send my laptop and wait for weeks... I wish they did a good job at thermal paste. I bought a laptop cooler from amazon to 17 dollars. I will write the temperature results when it arrives.
    By the way, just letting you know, my laptop hit 97 and 95 several times. But it was just a peak. It wasn't a constant temperature. The average CPU temperature is between 86-93 during hard gaming sessions. I was playing PUBG and I was recording it with Geforce Experience. Maybe it affected the CPU temperature, right? Could it be an excuse for my CPU temperature? (I have Gtx 1060 and i7 7700HQ)
  • Meric said:
    I just don't want to send my laptop and wait for weeks... I wish they did a good job at thermal paste. I bought a laptop cooler from amazon to 17 dollars. I will write the temperature results when it arrives.
    By the way, just letting you know, my laptop hit 97 and 95 several times. But it was just a peak. It wasn't a constant temperature. The average CPU temperature is between 86-93 during hard gaming sessions. I was playing PUBG and I was recording it with Geforce Experience. Maybe it affected the CPU temperature, right? Could it be an excuse for my CPU temperature? (I have Gtx 1060 and i7 7700HQ)
    The best thing to lower you temperature, besides repasting, is to apply an undervolt via ThrottleStop. I repasted my own CPU, and undervolted and my temperatures rarely even hit 75C with benchmarking and heat testing.

As soon as the CPU hits 97C, it will begin throttling. So when you are getting spikes to 97C, it immediately slows the CPU to bring temperatures down which can cause FPS drops.

Skelo

- Dr. Seuss
  • Meric
    So, couple things happened. 
    1) I undervolted my CPU core -0.115V. 
    2) My laptop cooler has arrived and I started using it. 
    3) I decreased the maximum performance of my CPU to 99% from 100%. 
    And during the stress test, my CPU went to 90 degree Celsius again. This has gotta be a joke right?  I bought this laptop for my heavy use, but apparently this was the wrong choice. 
    Also, I didn't get my HDD bracket that ACER had offered. It has been three weeks that I submitted my request. It was a terrible experience for me. 
  • Skelomorph
    Skelomorph ACE Posts: 463 Pioneer
    edited February 2018
    Just because you do not have low temperatures does not mean the laptop is not performing as it should. The CPU is made to run up to 96C with full power and no throttling. The majority of people use these laptops and do not have a complaint, so even if they get hot they still work the way they were intended.

As Ven98 and I have talked about. Even if the laptop throttles, the base 2.8GHz of the CPU is the actual performance of the CPU, so even if it throttles turboboost down to 2.8GHz, the CPU is still working as it should (while Intel thinks that is ok, I personally do not). However, you are not even hitting 97C now so there is no performance impact. 

As for the kit, maybe send a message to Acer-Manny and ask him if its possible to see if they received your request or not.

Skelo

Edit: A stress test is a bit different from gaming as well. The majority of games will never push your CPU and GPU 100%. You must remember in a stress test, all 8 logical cores are being filled to the max, when games generally don't use hyperthreading very much. So stress tests will be the MAX temps you ever achieve, and gaming will likely be cooler since it fluctuates.

- Dr. Seuss
  • Meric
    My laptop already went through 97 and 98. I think my CPU is damaged because I couldn’t access anything. My screen froze for 1 minute several times. 
    I appreciate your help but nothing was running on my laptop. My laptop is defective and it does not work properly like you said.
    I contacted with amazon, requested a replacement. I hope the next one will have better temperature results and will come without screen bleeding...
  • asad814
    edited February 2018
    bro i have same problem like yours...i have tried everything...same that you tried...and finally i decided to apply better thermal paste..yes it takes time cuz i am beginner but all was done well...i think you should do same there are many tutorials about how to change thermal paste.....but before doing this thing i have disabled one core that was overheating before applying thermal paste and my temps were in between mid 70s but then i apply thermal paste and now everything works like ****........;)