Aspire A717 - any way to slow down GPU fan?

Air23Jordan
Air23Jordan Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I purchased few days ago A717-71G and am generally very satisfied with performance. 7700HQ and 1050ti make very nice combination.

However, GPU gets quite noisy during gaming. I checked and it seems that GPU target temp is set to 60, which seems to be quite low. Acer Quick Access has CoolBoost option which further lowers GPU target temp, making it even more noise. 

Is there a way to increase GPU target temp or take control over GPU fan?

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Unfortunately, there is no way to set a custom fan curve.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Air23Jordan
    Air23Jordan Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited February 2018
    Thanks for the info. I was hoping that at least target temperature could be changed. Acer CoolBoost works in that way, so option to have Quiet profile with temp target of 63-64 C would be great.

60 seems to be really low, most of my desktop GPUs ran hotter, some even above 70 C.

To makes things worse, nVidia WhisperMode works only with 1060 or above. 

I just hope sooner or later there will be some option available to make it quieter, as it's really loud now. 
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Acer's cool boost increases the fan's speed by 200-300rpm. If with cool boost off the fan speed is 2000rpm, with cool boost on it will be 2300rpm. 
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!