Random restarts on 2 month old Nitro 5 AN515-41 AMD config.

BeerBaron
BeerBaron Member Posts: 5 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Purchased on november 19th 2017. Practically since the first two weeks of use, my AN515-41 randomly reboots (with and without AC adapter), with no BSOD. Event viewer shows Kernel Power ID 41 as if the processor not getting enough power. Already reinstalled AMD drivers, Reinstalled windows, internal battery reset, Updated BIOS.  Acer support recommended internal battery reset + pressing power button for 30 sec + power on pc and leave it on BIOS for 1 hour. Donde that and got no reboots for 2 days but they're back...Help please!

AMD FX-9830P Radeon R7
Ram 16GB
AMD Radeon R7 igpu
AMD Radeon 550 FX dgpu
1OOOGB HDD + 120gb SSD

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Hello,

I suggest you to update the BIOS. To check current BIOS version open 'RUN'(Win+R) and enter 'msinfo32'. In system summary you will see the version of the BIOS that is currently installed on your system. You can download the latest BIOS here. The latest version is 1.06. If the BIOS on your device is 1.06v, don't run the installation. Before running the installation make sure the battery is fully charged and laptop connected to AC adapter. The device may restart several times during the installation.

This error is usually associated with faulty power supply, in your case it is the battery. If updating the BIOS doesn't help, I suggest you to contact your seller and ask for a replacement(works only if the test period isn't expired) or contact Acer and request a repair of your device.

Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• BeerBaron
    Thanks Ven98 for the swift response. I alredy updated the BIOS to 1.06. Guess I will keep talking to ACER support since I think the refund period is up (Amazon). The thing is that the reboots have always ocurred while web browsing + spotify or something not very demanding for the processor (i.e gaming). I will now use it without the mouse to see what happens, because the past 2 days I used the laptop at the classroom with no mouse for like 12 hours and got no reboot.
  • BeerBaron
    Hi All, for those with a similar problem (Random Reboots with no BSOD) I happened to find a potential Fix in AMD Forums. Credit goes to Donrob: https://community.amd.com/thread/222428

And I quote:

"Hello everyone, I'd just like to post some helpful information for anyone having issues with "A fatal hardware error has occurred AMD Northbridge." I've found that going into Power Options, and turning off the "Fast Startup" option in Windows has seemed to work  with everyone I've shared this solution with, so I figured it deserved it's own thread. Below you will find a step by step on how to disable the "Fast Startup" option on Windows 10.

1.) Type in "Control Panel" in the Search bar on the left side of the taskbar, and click on the result to open the Control Panel.

2.) Click "Hardware and Sound"

3.) Under "Power Options" click on "Choose what the power buttons do"

4.) You will see settings on the bottom that are grayed-out. Click "Change settings that are currently unavailable" to unlock them.

5.) Now, UN-CHECK the "turn on fast startup (recommended)" option, and save your changes.

6.) SHUT DOWN your computer, then turn it back on.

This problem plagued me for over a year until I turned off this setting. All the Google searches were telling me to change options in the BIOS, change my power supply, etc. If this solution works for you, please mark it as helpful. Thank you, and best of luck!"

This seems to have fixed for me.. 7 days straight with no Reboots! No Kernel Id 41 errors an such. Good Luck!

• BeerBaron
    Hm.. just got another reebot yesterday after 9 days. It seems that this is somewhat a common issue with AMD procesors / GPU and Windows 10 fall creators update.  It's not only ACER products but other brands as well. 

For example this thread:
    https://community.amd.com/thread/198416