Can't access UEFI after installing linux dual boot

jici79
jici79 Member Posts: 34 Die Hard WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I tried to dual boot my Acer swift 3 with linux ( Debian ). I partitioned my disk with windows first then access UEFI to boot from USB. I disable secure boot, set a password. I then restarted and booted on the usb. I did the install everything went well.

On restart i tried to access UEFI but i am left with a black screen with white dash.

I still can boot on windows. I then erased the partion containing linux from windows disk manager but it changes nothing.

Any idea why it is impossible to access BIOS

Best Answer

• jici79
    Answer ✓
    @JordanB

Update! Yeah !

Sorry for the delay but i was able to succesfully install Mint 18.3

What i did

1- Flash BIOS to version 1,07 ( not sure if it is necessary but it is prt of what i did )

I then followed the steps suggested by JordanB

1. Make sure secure boot is enabled.
    2. Set a supervisor password
    3. Insert your linux USB
    4. Add Grub to trusted secure boot settings.....see link below.  example Ubuntu......   \EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi
    5. Install linux

On linux install when asked to set a password to disable secure boot in order to install proprietary driver i did it as asked

When asked to choose how to install i chose the first option ( something like install beside windows )

When i restarted the computer GRUB menu appeared on boot giving me the choice between linux and windows

Both OS are working

I can still access BIOS

95% satisfied since it's  Mint and not Debian ( missing GNOME 3 ) but i'll wait 6 month or a year and get back to Debian

VICTORY!!!!!!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Have you tried to access the BIOS from inside Windows? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• jici79
    Yes i tried. This procedure changes nothing as it reboot the computer and access the UEFI.  In my case i get the same black screen and withe dash as if i hit f2 on boot....

• jici79
    edited February 2018
    Really a shame that it is that complicated to run my favorite linux distro on a thousand dollar computer. I hate windows............and now wondering about Acer

I like the computer but if i am stuck with Windows it is of no use at all for me
  • JackE
    OK. From a complete power off state, start tapping away at the F2 key. While continuing to tap F2, press the power button to turn the it back on. Keep tapping away until something good happens --- or not. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• jici79
    Thanks for the help but what is the difference between hitting f2 before to start and hitting f2 on start ?

It didn't work. Just to make sure you understand the problem, i was able to enter BIOS before to install linux. When i tried to go back to BIOS after then i have the problem with black screen and white dash.

Windows is still starting. There was probably a conflict between GRUB and UEFI.......... but i am a linux user since many years and don't know much about Wincrap...

• JackE
    edited February 2018
    The difference is that the BIOS may have been already done doing its thing by the time you started tapping the F2 key. Many folks have found this out by waiting for the logo screen to appear before tapping F2---it's already too late. Just wanted to make sure that wasn't your problem. When you last were able to get into the BIOS to set a super password, did also try to make grubx64.efi a trusted file in the security dropdown? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• jici79
    No because the last time i was able to access the BIOS was when i chose a password and disabled secure boot prior to install linux. After the install, i tried to get to the  BIOS in order to make the trusted file setup and enable secure boot but i wasn't able to enter since it freezes on the black screen.... ( i followed instructions i saw in two different post that explained all the stuff that have to be done but surprise....BIOS problem...)
  • jici79
    edited February 2018
    I thought that maybe formating the drive that contained Linux would solve the problem but that didn't do the trick...So now only windows is installed but still i can't get to the BIOS to try a new install. ( want to boot on USB )

I'm starting to miss my old Toshiba Satellite!!!!!!!
  • JackE
    edited February 2018
    What's your full model name & number? Should be something like SW3-0xx Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• jici79
    edited February 2018
    I don't have my laptop right now since i'm at work but here are the specs

Acer Swift 3
    Intel i5 8250u 8th gen
    8gb ram
    256ssd
    intel hd620 graphic

I think the model number should be something like SF314-52
  • jici79
    Where can i find the model number as you request?
  • JackE
    If the SF314-52 is the model, there is a BIOS clear jumper (jrst2401) located near the BIOS button cell connector.  Remove the HDD, AC, battery and button cell connector, then short out this jumper for several minutes. Put everything back, and try the F2 thing again. If this doesn't do it, there is a more aggressive but riskier way of re-setting the BIOS. BTW, is this system still under warranty? Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• jici79
    edited February 2018
    Is that the number you asked for ?:

NX.GSHAA.001

the previous number i gave you seems to be in fact: SF315-51 518S

What is funny is that, from what i recall the BIOS version is 1.06 on my machine and for this model on the acer website the latest update is 1.04....
  • JackE
    OK. That's for another model SF315-51 but the clear BIOS jumper and procedure seems to be the same. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• jici79
    edited February 2018
    Update:

I have my laptop and it is a SF314-52-52V8

I checked the models on the website and the model i gave you earlier was matching but on my machine that's the info i can find

• jici79
    edited February 2018
    Yes it is under warranty i bought it 2 weeks ago.

The thing is that it takes a special screwdriver to open this laptop. Like little stars that i don t have............
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    I had that happen once, after shutting the Linux down, F2 did not work. turned out the whole keyboard was turned off. Disconnected power supply, left off for a minute and F2 was working again.
  • jici79
    edited February 2018
    There is nothing wrong with the keyboard. The computer runs on windows but i can't access BIOS since it freezes when i press F2
  • jici79
    The BIG BIG problem i have is even if i open the computer and do the whole process i am 95% sure that when i will try to install linux again i will have the exact same issue....

I am starting to really regret that purchase. I didn't check if it was working well with linux because i tought theses days it was not a problem anymore but if i  had read all the problems i found concerning this laptop with linux i would never have bought it.......

It feel like i have a piece of junk i paid 1000$...............
  • JackE
    >>>Yes it is under warranty i bought it 2 weeks ago.>>>

OK, forget what I said earlier. Do NOT open the machine to screw around with clearing the BIOS. If Padgett's KB suggestion doesn't work, then as a last resort try to reset the machine to factory-fresh by the ALT+F10 cold boot method shown here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuljT0a8F7I --- except press & hold the ALT key and start tapping away at the F10 key immediately upon pressing the power button to turn the machine on.  If still no joy, return the machine as defective to the vendor for a refund or a replacement ASAP to try to avoid the lengthier ACER warranty process. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

This discussion has been closed.