Predator G6-710 Reboots when playing certain games.

VFedo
VFedo Member Posts: 10 New User
edited February 15 in 2019 Archives
I've got a Predator G6-710 that's been giving me issues for quite some time.

Windows 10 (ugh), I7 Intel processor, GTX 970 Nvidia graphics drive, please lemme know if there's more info I can provide.

The issue: Computer reboots itself when playing certain games. These games are Skyrim: Elder Scrolls, Planet Coaster, Subnautica, South Park: Fractured But Whole, Sid Meiers Civilization IV and V, Grand Theft Auto V.

Normally the behavior of my computer is this; I will get to the title screen, I will click on a save file, and the game will load. Normally, the game loads successfully, but when it actually begins the level, my computer reboots itself. Specifically, the computer will turn off, the light going dim for a few moments, then it will switch itself back on. There is no error screen, no warning, and the computer does these actions without my interference, it always 100% turns itself back on.
Usually the computer is kind've... random. Sometimes it will succesfully play the game, and I can go on for hours without any problems, then it will suddenly decide it's too much and reboot itself. Sometimes it lasts for an hour, and usually it triggers when I enter a new area (IE when the game loads something new), though other times my computer can reboot randomly.

Along with this issue is the fact that sometimes my computer will reboot itself while idle. This is less common. For a short period of time, my computer actually reboot itself when I went to unpause youtube video's. This went on for a few days but now I haven't had my computer reboot from a video for a couple months. Kind've... odd....

However, recently I've noticed a new pattern starting last month where the computer simply quits immediately upon opening a game, or upon loading into a game. Specifically I've noticed this issue with Subnautica and Planet Coaster.

Interestingly, there are other games where the computer doesn't have a problem. Specifically games that appear less demanding, such as Stardew Valley, Prison Architect, Okami HD and League of Legends.

I've updated my graphics card!... and I'm not sure what else to do. If someone recommends me to update bios, could you please provide instructions as to how I'd do that? I know I need to download something from the drivers and Manuals, but which BIOS download do I need to select?
I am not tech savvy at all, so please, some advice would be very good.

Lastly I'd like to mention that I did have this machine sent in for repairs, but the report that was sent back to me claims they couldn't replicate the issue? (Though they certainly didn't mind playing hours of my Skyrim file without making backups of the saves, which is honestly too hilarious for me to be mad about)

Best Answer

• VFedo
    Answer ✓
    FOUND SOLUTION!

I've replaced the PSU and everything is working splendidly. If you have similar problems to me, consider replacing the PSU.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    edited January 2018
    download this tool, whocrashed:

before running it, browse to C:\windows\minidump
    delete all files apart the first 2-3 files (newest)
    then install whocrashed and run it
    click on Analyze
    report here the result (copy/paste)
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • VFedo
    Ok.
    Does it matter or mean anything if the minidump folder is completely empty?
  • VFedo
    Crash Dump Analysis
    Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

Crash dump directories:
    C:\WINDOWS
    C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

No valid crash dumps have been found on your computer

Conclusion
    Crash dumps are enabled but no valid crash dumps have been found. In case you are experiencing system crashes, it may be that crash dumps are prevented from being written out. Check out the following article for possible causes: If crash dumps are not written out.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

• IronFly
    ok, so it's crashing not due to a BSOD/driver.
    let's try a BIOS update

press windows logo + r keys
    type
    msinfo32
    report BIOS date version
  • VFedo
    BIOS Version/Date    American Megatrends Inc. R01-A4, 5/18/2016

• IronFly
    you already have the latest for your revision.

at this point,can be an overheat or PSU issue.; one thing to try is a factory reset (backup all your data first).
    press Alt+F10 keys at boot to start the factory reset
  • VFedo
    Sorry for the dumb question, but how would I backup all of my files safely? Would I need an external product or something for that?
  • IronFly
    Yes, you will need an external HDD to save/backup your personal data; one with USB3.0 connection will be good for speed.
    even better can be an external HDD dock and put a 3.5"HDD on it (more speed on data transfer), since most of the portable enclosure use laptop size HDD (lower speed).
    or...if you don't need to backup a lot of things, a good USB 3.0 flash drive.
  • VFedo
    Hmm unfortunately I think I'll avoid a factory reset then. I don't have one of those backups and during a time of college I can't really afford to be missing certain files.

But its all good. Thank you very much for your advice! But I'm going to be sending in my computer for repairs. I've got a warranty.

The reason why I hadn't tried this sooner was because I've sent it in for repairs before, and the technicians apparently couldn't recreate the issue (despite how many hours of skyrim they played using MY save file XD). This time around I'm simply going to request a replacement PSU and stop beating around the bush. (Plus now I have games that can reliably cause the issue to appear so... no more excuses for them)

Thanks again for your time!
  • IronFly
    One last thing, try another electric outlet and maybe an AC power cable.
  • VFedo
    Tested it! Yielded the same results. Three different outlets had it reboot, and on top of that, I've found a dedicated battery box to plug the computer into, so I believe I've elliminated the possibility that the circuitry in my house is a problem.

Two different AC power cables also made no difference.
  • IronFly
    Ok, no more ideas.
  • TechSupportGore
    TechSupportGore Member Posts: 2 New User
    I've had the exact same issues with my G6-710. Very concerning that Acer would release this product with known issues as such. Considering the price I would expect the computer to have no issues whatsoever. Much like yourself, I have tried to play subnautica 3 times today and after 5 minutes of gameplay the computer reboots itself. 
  • VFedo
    It is a bummer.

We need new PSU's I suppose. I had a similar problem to this when I first got the machine, it was rebooting at startup a bunch. So I got a repair with the warranty and they claimed they replaced the graphics card. it fixed the issue, but months later I have this specific problem.

If I find a solution I will share it.
  • VFedo
    Update: Found a way to get it working, sorta? When the computer was not in use, I unplugged it from all power, and held the power button for ten seconds. Then I left the computer alone for hours. The next time the computer starts, it's able to run any games (including subnautica), however it's unreliable and not a solution as it does still reboot sometimes after a couple hours have passed.

I've done this three different times so far, and the third time I played for about three hours before shutting the game off myself. No computer reboots. It's not a solution and I'm likely still going to replace the PSU, but updating this information here in case it benefits anyone in the future (or if this hints at what the problem is).
  • VFedo
    Answer ✓
    FOUND SOLUTION!

I've replaced the PSU and everything is working splendidly. If you have similar problems to me, consider replacing the PSU.
  • GVL
    GVL Member Posts: 2 New User
    I'm having similar issues with Predator Desktop G6-710  Reboots randomly I'm not running any games at all.  I get message "DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL netwtw.04sys"
  • GVL
    GVL Member Posts: 2 New User
    What seems to be working to fix Pedator Desktop random reboots with error message DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL - netwtw.04sys"? 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    That error is related to Intel wireless drivers. Try a rollback or uninstall/reinstall to see if they are just corrupted. If that doesn't work try an SFC scan to make sure it's not on the Windows side of the driver interaction.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.