Does this model support 20 Gb or 12 Gb RAM: Acer Aspire 5 A515-51G-876D ?

Alex_Kokoshyn
Alex_Kokoshyn Member Posts: 1 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi all,
What is the maximum amount of RAM that the following model supports? On the online store's webpage the value is 12 GB, but for some other models from the A515-51G series the value is 20 GB. Can it be that A515-51G-876D does not support a 16 GB stick in one slot?
Acer Aspire 5 A515-51G-876D

Best Answer

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,078 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Hi,
    You can install up to maximum of 20GB in this model(4GB On-board+16GB). So you can install a 4GB, 8GB or 16GB module in the available slot.
  • Supriyo_Gamer
    Supriyo_Gamer Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi, Recently I wanted to upgrade my ram from 4 GB to 8 GB as my model was came with a 4 GB variant ( Acer Aspire A515-51G-58GJ ) and Part Number ( NX.GT1SI.001).
    But the problem arises when I bought a new (Dolgix 4 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz SODIMM Ram) which I think should be compatible with this laptop.
    But when I put the ram in the empty slot provided and started the laptop, windows won't start....:( :( 
    Then I checked the BIOS settings , there it was showing the new ram as the total memory was 8 GB.
    But it does not starting the windows.
    There is a Stop Code : IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL with a blue screen.

Please someone tell me what is the problem and why the heck is this happening ?
    The BIOS is showing the ram but Windows is not starting.
    I really need to upgrade the Ram but I am not be able to do so...:)
    PLEASE HELP ME..
    PLEASEEEE.
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,078 Trailblazer
    edited January 2018
    Hi, Recently I wanted to upgrade my ram from 4 GB to 8 GB as my model was came with a 4 GB variant ( Acer Aspire A515-51G-58GJ ) and Part Number ( NX.GT1SI.001).
    But the problem arises when I bought a new (Dolgix 4 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz SODIMM Ram) which I think should be compatible with this laptop.
    But when I put the ram in the empty slot provided and started the laptop, windows won't start....:( :( 
    Then I checked the BIOS settings , there it was showing the new ram as the total memory was 8 GB.
    But it does not starting the windows.
    There is a Stop Code : IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL with a blue screen.

Please someone tell me what is the problem and why the heck is this happening ?
    The BIOS is showing the ram but Windows is not starting.
    I really need to upgrade the Ram but I am not be able to do so...:)
    PLEASE HELP ME..
    PLEASEEEE.

Hi,
    Remove the Dolgix memory module, start Windows, press Shift+Ctrl+Esc button together, go to Performance tab and click Memory in the left pane, check the speed and please post here. 

• Dwaipayan
    Dwaipayan Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
    Hi!

I wanted to confirm if the same applies to my model.
    <br>System Model&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Aspire A515-51G-5621<br>BIOS Version/Date&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Insyde Corp. V1.08, 15-06-2017<br>SMBIOS Version&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 3.0<br>Part Number: NX.GP5SI.002<br>Support page: <a href="https://www.acer.com/ac/en/IN/content/support-product/7244?b=1&pn=NX.GP5SI.002" title="Link: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/IN/content/support-product/7244?b=1&pn=NX.GP5SI.002">https://www.acer.com/ac/en/IN/content/support-product/7244?b=1&pn=NX.GP5SI.002</a>

I also checked the following links for compatibility:

The output of the command dmidecode --type 17 for memory details is below.
    Is only one SODIMM replaceable for my laptop too? And the other is fixed on the board?
    When I opened the memory slot at the back I see only one 4 GB Apacer SODIMM with Part Number: 78.B2GF4.4000B (image attached), so I believe the other one is not user replaceable.
    As per the "dmidecode" output below the Apacer SODIMM is in Bank 2 and the hidden one is by Micron (I am assuming Crucial) as per the "dmidecode" output, which is at Bank 0
    Both are Rank 1 SODIMMs, so I believe I can only use a SODIMM of the same rank.
    In that case can I only use the 8 GB Rank 1 SODIMM (CT8G4SFS824A) from Crucial? As the 16 GB ones are Dual Rank as per the above link showing Crucial SODIMMs.
    Since the fixed SODIMM is from Micron so I would like to use the same make in the other slot to avoid any compatibility issues.
    Please advise if I can use the 16 GB SODIMM or do I have to settle with the 8 GB one?
    I have also attached the CPU-Z report pdf from Windows 10.
    And my last query, do I need to update the BIOS before I make changes in hardware?
    Handle 0x000E, DMI type 17, 40 bytes<br>Memory Device<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Array Handle: 0x000D<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Error Information Handle: No Error<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Total Width: 64 bits<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Data Width: 64 bits<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Size: 4096 MB<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Form Factor: SODIMM<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Set: None<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Locator: ChannelA-DIMM0<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Bank Locator: BANK 0<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Type: DDR4<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Type Detail: Synchronous Unbuffered (Unregistered)<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Speed: 2133 MT/s<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Manufacturer: Micron<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Serial Number: 00000000<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Asset Tag: 9876543210<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Part Number: 4ATF51264HZ-2G3B1&nbsp;&nbsp; <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Rank: 1<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Configured Clock Speed: 2133 MT/s<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Minimum Voltage: 1.5 V<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Maximum Voltage: 1.5 V<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Configured Voltage: 1.2 V<br><br>Handle 0x000F, DMI type 17, 40 bytes<br>Memory Device<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Array Handle: 0x000D<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Error Information Handle: No Error<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Total Width: 64 bits<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Data Width: 64 bits<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Size: 4096 MB<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Form Factor: SODIMM<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Set: None<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Locator: ChannelB-DIMM0<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Bank Locator: BANK 2<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Type: DDR4<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Type Detail: Synchronous Unbuffered (Unregistered)<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Speed: 2133 MT/s<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Manufacturer: 017A<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Serial Number: 65617355<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Asset Tag: 9876543210<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Part Number: 78.B2GF4.4000B&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Rank: 1<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Configured Clock Speed: 2133 MT/s<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Minimum Voltage: 1.5 V<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Maximum Voltage: 1.5 V<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Configured Voltage: 1.2 V<br>

• tsc_8698
    tsc_8698 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have Acer aspire 5 a515-51g-58gj. I have installed Crucial 8GB DDR4-2400 SODIMM  CT8G4SFS824A ram on my laptop. After installation it shows black screen. But in BIOS  it shows total 12GB of ram. why my laptop won't start please help me