I hate my acer spin SP315-51

unhappy_customer
unhappy_customer Member Posts: 1 New User
edited October 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello. I am writing this post to see if any other people are having issues with this laptop. I bought it less than a year ago from Costco (I think it was May or June 2017). I have sent it to Acer twice now for repairs. Completely random freezing screens, and then black screen and unable to boot. Twice in a year is ridiculous. On top of that I am a graduate student who uses a laptop to keep copies of textbooks, notes, etc. If anyone has information about this laptop--good or bad honestly because I want to be fair--I'd appreciate your input on the quality of the laptop as well as the LOCATION of where you bought it. It could be that I just got a defective shipment to costco, I don't know. 

Thank you for your time. I'm interested in enforcing the lemon law and will need information from others.

Answers

• Teetertotter
    Teetertotter Member Posts: 20 Networker
    Are you able to contact them again and speak to someone of higher authority?  Long story short.  Document, Document, too.

• zarana17
    zarana17 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hello. I am writing this post to see if any other people are having issues with this laptop. I bought it less than a year ago from Costco (I think it was May or June 2017). I have sent it to Acer twice now for repairs. Completely random freezing screens, and then black screen and unable to boot. Twice in a year is ridiculous. On top of that I am a graduate student who uses a laptop to keep copies of textbooks, notes, etc. If anyone has information about this laptop--good or bad honestly because I want to be fair--I'd appreciate your input on the quality of the laptop as well as the LOCATION of where you bought it. It could be that I just got a defective shipment to costco, I don't know. 

Thank you for your time. I'm interested in enforcing the lemon law and will need information from others.
    Bought mine at a Costco in Puerto Rico. About a month before warranty expiration, the "no boot device" error began to appear.
    Called ACER and they asked to send it for repair but I had important data on the hard drive that I wanted to recover.
    I took it to a local repair shop and long story short, the hard drive WAS NOT the problem. The Hard drive was fine and I was able to recover all my data. Anyway they replaced the hard drive, updated drivers, firmware, etc and still the "no boot device" error keeps coming up randomly.
    I have to power cycle the laptop a couple of times until it boots up normally.
    Nobody has an idea of what could it be. Now the warranty has expired and I have an expensive paperweight just sitting there... back to my 7 year old Toshiba Satellite.

• KeT4yn
    KeT4yn Member Posts: 2 New User
    zarana17 said:
    Bought mine at a Costco in Puerto Rico. About a month before warranty expiration, the "no boot device" error began to appear.
    Called ACER and they asked to send it for repair but I had important data on the hard drive that I wanted to recover.
    I took it to a local repair shop and long story short, the hard drive WAS NOT the problem. The Hard drive was fine and I was able to recover all my data. Anyway they replaced the hard drive, updated drivers, firmware, etc and still the "no boot device" error keeps coming up randomly.
    I have to power cycle the laptop a couple of times until it boots up normally.
    Nobody has an idea of what could it be. Now the warranty has expired and I have an expensive paperweight just sitting there... back to my 7 year old Toshiba Satellite.

Do you have correct Boot Order set in Bios? Or do you have an USB-stick in the slot when error happens?
    I've got such error yestreday and was quite confused for few mins.
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

a) have found it best to disable "fast boot" in the advanced power settings.

b) device that fails - does it have a fan and is it working ? Third party software like HWMonitor will tell you if something is overheating and causing shutdown.

One way to avoid data loss if the machine fails is to put all data on a SD card. Then if the PC won't boot can just move to a different machine. SD cards are goo because you can just leave in the device and not have anything sticking out. 128GB U3 cards are less than $40 now.

• EliseO
    EliseO Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi all, I have an Acer Spin3 that I bought a couple years ago at Costco (this is the 2nd one, 1st on returned under warranty for hard drive failure).  This one won’t consistently update and I can’t make it force updates when they are “stuck”...not sure if that’s a Microsoft issue or Acer.  It also constantly freezes and I have nothing on the hard drive (9% full, 91% free space), takes 5 minutes or more to boot up, virus scans are negative and I am super frustrated.  I have defragged the hard drive twice.  Any suggestions???