HDMI not working in my Acer Swift 3

felipesolary
felipesolary Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I´ve recently bought an Acer Swift 3 SF314-52G-55WQ, with Nvidia GeForce MX150. I´ve tried connecting it through HDMI with many, many monitors and it almost never works (it worked one or two times at most). The monitors (or projectors, or TVs) are HD and they work with 60hz. The cables I use are also fine; I´ve checked.
My brother also has an Acer Swift 3, but it is a previous model (he has the SF514-51-54T8). With his computer, the HDMI always work. So the question is: why doesn´t mine work? Is this normal? Is there something broken?

Answers

• felipesolary

Tinkerer

I´ve recently bought an Acer Swift 3 SF314-52G-55WQ, with Nvidia GeForce MX150. I´ve tried connecting it through HDMI with many, many monitors and it almost never works (it worked one or two times at most). The monitors (or projectors, or TVs) are HD and they work with 60hz. The cables I use are also fine; I´ve checked.
    My brother also has an Acer Swift 3, but it is a previous model (he has the SF514-51-54T8). With his computer, the HDMI always work. So the question is: why doesn´t mine work? Is this normal? Is there something broken?
    I should also say that all my drivers are up to date and so is the BIOS. Whenever I plug my computer to a monitor and it doesn´t work, I try changing the resolution and the frequency in every way possible. But it doesn´t fix the problem.
  • felipesolary

Tinkerer

Hello? Anyone?
  • Hi,
    You have done almost all the checks, you could try installing the VGA driver from Intel after uninstalling the Acer VGA driver, it may solve the problem, if not you have to either return it for replacement to the retailer or send it for a service to Acer Service centre in your region.
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/
  • MPZ
    MPZ Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hello,
    I have the same issue with my Acer swift 3 (with MX150 inside) which I bought a week ago. I thought there is a problem with drivers/software on my TV which is Panasonic before I read your post. Did you find out what is causing the problem with the connection via HDMI? 
    Maybe the root cause is on Acer side..
  • felipesolary

Tinkerer

No, I haven't found out what's the problem. I spoke with Acer and they said that any monitor working with the Acer Swift 3 SF514-51-54T8 should also work with mine, so it is not a compatibility issue.
    So I shot two videos to show them that there is a problem with my computer: in the videos you see one monitor and the two different Acer Swift 3. Mine doesn´t work in neither of the test. The other works in both. (The website won´t let me paste the links to the videos).

But then I sent my laptop to technical support and they say, despite this proof, that there is no problem with my computer...  
  • MPZ
    MPZ Member Posts: 2 New User
    This is my first time with Acer brand and probably the last one. I spent 2 weeks on finding the reason for not working HDMI.   Tomorrow I will return the laptop, cause it is ridiculous to send it to service just after I bought it.
  • Abstracted
    Abstracted Member Posts: 20 Troubleshooter
    edited December 2017
    First, is the HDMI version on the Swift 3 v1.4 or v2.0? That will make a big difference. It SHOULD be v2.0. If that's the case it is compatible with 60Hz. 1.4v only goes up to 30Hz. If it is only v1.4, they should have made the USB-C slot able to display at 60Hz via adapter. 

So bottomline, is the HDMI version 1.4 or 2.0?
  • felipesolary

Tinkerer

Hi Abstracted, thank your for your answer.
    The port in the laptop is HDMI 2.0. But as far as I know, HDMI 1.4 supports 60hz and more on 1920x1080. And I think all 1.4 cables work with 2.0 ports.
    That being said, I also tried with a 2.0 cable and it didn´t work...
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    What happens when you try to turn the HDMI on and off with the Fn+F5 toggle key combo? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• blesage
    blesage Member Posts: 5 New User
    Still no comment or solution from ACER? I'm also waiting to hear on the issue. Laptop bought one week ago (12-31-17), mainly to be able to watch movies on large screen, which isn`t possible at the moment
  • JackE
    blesage---If the Fn+F5 toggle key combo doesn't turn the TV on, then (1) Make sure your cable checks out OK. (2) If the cable is OK, return your system to the vendor for a refund or a replacment ASAP! Don't delay. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• alumette
    alumette Member Posts: 1 New User
    Same prob for me Swift3 SF314-52-52V8 I bought the Lap top January 6  2017. I need that the HDMI work, so I am going to return it to Best Buy if I don't have the solution soon. I lost a lot of time to find the problem.
  • blesage
    The cable isn’t an issue as the laptop does detect the TV or from the display setup (I’ve tried the screen1, screen 2, extended and dual display). The screen just stays black with a “signal not compatible”, so the problem is at the output. From what I read, it seems a recurrent problem as several posts mentions similar issues dating back from 2015 in various laptops from different manufacturers.

Moreover, just here, it has been publically reported 4 times in the last 2 weeks, mainly from the same retailer (Best Buy it seems), so it’s either build components or their customized pilots (the intel driver for my UHD 620 won’t install as it’s been customized by manufacturer).
  • JackE
    >>>“signal not compatible”>>>so the problem is at the output.>>>
    Or perhaps the problem is at the input? What brand & model number is this particular TV? And has this particular TV ever been shown to work from HDMI out from any machine? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Alumette>>> I bought the Lap top January 6  2017. I need that the HDMI work, so I am going to return it to Best Buy >>>

I don't think BestBuy will take it back after more than a year. I suggest that you first try to turn the TV on with the Fn+F5 toggle key combo. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• blesage
    JackE

The screen is a Sony Bravia 40” (I don’t have the precise number at hand.) But it does work without problem with a Dell running Win7, a PS3 and PS4 through the 4 ports and 2 different cables, so unless there is a new standard output signal for HDMI (meaning all screens and TVs more than 2 years old would need to be replaced) the tv isn’t a problem here...
  • JackE
    blesage>>> I'm also waiting to hear on the issue. Laptop bought one week ago (12-31-17)>>>Sony Bravia 40”>>> does work without problem with a Dell running Win7>>>

OK, if it was mine, I'd return it to the vendor ASAP as an out-of-the-box defective for a replacement or as a not-meeting-my-needs refund. Mainly to avoid the  lengthier warranty process. You might want to try brummyfan2's suggestion above before giving up on it but I wouldn't wait too long. Most vendors have a 30-day returns policy without a restocking fee. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• blesage
    I’m trying with the ACER online help tonight and if there is no result, i’ll Return this weekend 
  • JackE
    Good luck. Let us know the result one way or the other. Thanks Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• blesage
    W0000t! 

Issue Solved (for me at least...)

Here is what I did. Some of those steps might not be relevent in your case.

- Make sure the TV software was updated to latest version (it wasn't, so I updated and did a reset to make sure everything was in order)

- Another issue was with the graphic card. The automatic driver update through windows10 couldn't get it to install the latest drivers from the manufacturer (intel UHD 620). I had the help of the intel support tech. I "force" installed the drivers. Here is the step by step process:

1. Download the graphics driver ZIP file (I haven't been here long enough to post a link... for that you'll need to do your own research)
    2. Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.
    3. Right-click Windows Start icon and open Device Manager.
    4. Click Yes when prompted for permission from User Account Control.
    5. Expand the Display adapters section.
    6. Right-click the Intel® graphics entry and select Update Driver Software.
    7. Click "Browse my computer for driver software".
    8. Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".
    9. Click "Have Disk".
    10. Click "Browse".
    11. Access the designated location or folder, and access a folder called "Graphics".
    12. Select the file called "igdlh64" or "igdlh".
    13. Click Open, then click OK, and finally click Next. Drivers are now being installed.
    14. Reboot your computer.
    And Voilà!

Hope to help out people out there to not waste as much time as I did and get as frustrated.