Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Predator Helios Backlight Bleeding Problem

helloworld1228helloworld1228 Posts: 2Member New User
edited January 2018 in Predator Laptops
Hello,
I got a new Predator Helios 300 [G3-571] just this Sunday. So far I have noticed that there are backlight problems, obscuring most details along sides of screen on a darker scene.
I was not sure if this much backlight problem was expected of an IPS panel [CMN15D3].
I have posted the images of my screen with lightbleedingtest.com in total darkness at 0% and 100% screen brightness settings, respectively:

Thanks in advance, and please let me know how y'all think about this.

Best Answer

• ven98ven98 Posts: 4,045 Pathfinder
    Accepted Answer
    Backlight bleed is considered normal by the manufacturers. The light bleed on your display isn't much normal. You can contact the retailer you purchased the laptop from and ask for a replacement. Mind that it isn't guaranteed that the replacement laptop is going to have less bleeding, in fact it is likely to have the same amount or even more(in your case it is not likely to have more).
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

FAQ & Answers

• SobeSobe Posts: 138Member Skilled Fixer
    Yes expected from an IPS, and mines similar to this, but not sure if it's THAT MUCH. Maybe, because I don't use my laptop much?

How long do you use your laptop for and do you open many programs? (I'm just curious because I don't)
  • helloworld1228helloworld1228 Posts: 2Member New User
    I got this laptop just a few days ago but I use this laptop for both work and gaming, so mostly all day. Had only a couple of hours of gaming for test so far, but the backlight seems prominent on games I have tried (the evil within 2, dishonored 2) which are rather darker than most others.
  • ven98ven98 Posts: 4,045ACE Pathfinder
    Accepted Answer
    Backlight bleed is considered normal by the manufacturers. The light bleed on your display isn't much normal. You can contact the retailer you purchased the laptop from and ask for a replacement. Mind that it isn't guaranteed that the replacement laptop is going to have less bleeding, in fact it is likely to have the same amount or even more(in your case it is not likely to have more).
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• StermenStermen Posts: 1Member New User
    edited May 2018
    I just received my laptop a week ago, and I noticed this a couple days in when I was playing at night, in some dark scenes...So it got me searching...Is this normal? Because I don't think this is normal.... I'm just wondering before I send it back in? Thanks. G3 571***