FAQ - CPU, GPU, Temps, FPS, Settings, & Other Info

Answers

• tcel18 said:
    I have found that my Predator Helios 300 hits 97c CPU temps only while charging and playing games. If I play those same games on battery power alone, temps will only hit 60c. My question is, can I run my Helios 300 without the battery and solely AC power?

I am also using XTU to undervolt by .115 and during heavy use I have found that even with a full battery and AC power I actually drain battery % 
    What are you using your laptop on? Your laptop should NEVER hit 97C, and if it does you need to send it in for repair.

Temps do not hit high temperatures on battery because the gaming is throttled. When the laptop is on AC, it can still pull a little bit of power from the battery, and is normal. There is no way to disconnect the battery from being used without unplugging the battery. 

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss
  • tcel18
    tcel18 Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited January 2018
    What are you using your laptop on? Your laptop should NEVER hit 97C, and if it does you need to send it in for repair.
    Temps do not hit high temperatures on battery because the gaming is throttled. When the laptop is on AC, it can still pull a little bit of power from the battery, and is normal. There is no way to disconnect the battery from being used without unplugging the battery. 

Skelo
    Battlefront 2 has brought it to 97c briefly at least 6 times. Average is probably 90c. PUBG typically runs an average of 85c with highs of 92c. Both these games are not run on full ultra settings. Most unimportant game graphics are turned down to low. I also run on a cooling table with duel fans drawing power from the laptop. 

I'm not crazy about having to send the laptop away as I also need it for work related matters. I am very new to high end computing. I fully understand the nature of thermal pasting but I am hesitant to try it at this time. I have only had the laptop for 6 weeks.
  • szymi1987
    szymi1987 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Great Post! Thanks  for the effort!

• CharlieWax
    CharlieWax Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hello everyone and Happy New Year :)

I would like to express my thanks to @Skelomorph for taking his time to write a breakdown of what's what regarding technicalities.
    Also, I've treated myself with Acer Predator 17X couple of weeks ago (i7 7820HK, GTX 1080, 32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe and 1TB HDD) :)

So far so good, temperatures are super solid around 65-70 Celsius degrees but I have to mention that I'm using
    laptop cooler stand and I still haven't played with undervolting.

I'm also playing SW BF2, AC Origins, so everything is running smoothly.

See you on battlefield fellas :)

• Skelomorph
    Skelomorph ACE Posts: 463 Pioneer
    edited January 2018
    Update 1/10/2018 with the following on its way : 
    - Meltdown, Spectre, and Intel ME Info (Section 10)
    - FPS drop section/solutions (Section 4)
    - Thermal Pasting section (Section 5)
    - Clarified that some have gotten 60+ Hz on external monitors.

Skelo
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

- Dr. Seuss
  • Jithin0801
    Jithin0801 Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    Hai, Thanks for this guides, I have a doubt, in my laptop when playing GTA 5 it goes to max of 92c but playing other games like Assassin's Creed Unity and Battlefield 1 it stays below 85c should I have to change anything for GTA 5 or leave it as it is......Whether this will make problems in my laptop?
    (All graphics set to Ultra High in all my Games.)
  • Hai, Thanks for this guides, I have a doubt, in my laptop when playing GTA 5 it goes to max of 92c but playing other games like Assassin's Creed Unity and Battlefield 1 it stays below 85c should I have to change anything for GTA 5 or leave it as it is......Whether this will make problems in my laptop?
    (All graphics set to Ultra High in all my Games.)
    Do you have a cooling pad? 92C is a high temperature, and it is not recommended to let it run at that temperature for a long time. If you already have a cooling pad, and besides repasting and undervolting, the only way to bring the temps down some would be to lower your settings in-game. The choice is yours.

Skelo

- Dr. Seuss
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    Nice to see my thermal paste video is helping everyone out. 

Thanks Skelomorph, I always check up on your posts.
    Keep up the good work.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Red-Sand
    Sorry for the spam..
    But I've also made a ThrottleStop video just for the Helios if you wanna check it out.

https://youtu.be/F1rs92CiYxU

Cheers.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Cameron1916
    Cameron1916 Member Posts: 2 New User
    i need help with my Predator sense troubleshooting, ive followed the steps as in deleting the app re downloading it and it wont download right and cannot figure it out, if anyone has had the same problem please help.
  • i need help with my Predator sense troubleshooting, ive followed the steps as in deleting the app re downloading it and it wont download right and cannot figure it out, if anyone has had the same problem please help.
    There are many cases when PredatorSense does not work. When you say redownloading, you mean downloading it off of Acer? Try using a different browser. As for PredatorSense, if the 'Troubleshoot compatibility' does not work, I do not really know. There are some people who have not been able to get it to work.

Skelo

- Dr. Seuss
  • Cameron1916
    Cameron1916 Member Posts: 2 New User
    i need help with my Predator sense troubleshooting, ive followed the steps as in deleting the app re downloading it and it wont download right and cannot figure it out, if anyone has had the same problem please help

• Red-Sand
    i need help with my Predator sense troubleshooting, ive followed the steps as in deleting the app re downloading it and it wont download right and cannot figure it out, if anyone has had the same problem please help

You can try using a total uninstalling solution like IOBit Uninstaller that will remove residual files to remove Pred Sense completely then try a reinstall. 
    - Hotel Hero
  • Jaanam123
    Jaanam123 Member Posts: 16

Tinkerer

Hey can any one help me my gpu base frequency is 1596mhz which is too high !!?
  • Jaanam123 said:
    That is a normal frequency for the 1060.

Skelo

- Dr. Seuss
  • Jaanam123
    Jaanam123 Member Posts: 16

Tinkerer

Jaanam123 said:

Skelo
    I dont think so the base frequency is about 14xxmhz but in my case its 1596mhz
  • Jaanam123 said:
    Jaanam123 said:

Skelo
    I dont think so the base frequency is about 14xxmhz but in my case its 1596mhz
    With the possible Boost Clock the MHz can go over 1404 and be stable. It is not really something to be concerned about.

Skelo

- Dr. Seuss
  • Zahir89
    Zahir89 Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    Why isn't The Predator 15 g9 592 not listed for the meltdown and spectre security vulnerabilities in the link :(
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/535036/faq-cpu-gpu-temps-fps-settings-other-info/meltdown-and-spectre-security-vulnerabilities

• Skelomorph
    Skelomorph ACE Posts: 463 Pioneer
    edited March 2018
    Zahir89 said:
    Why isn't The Predator 15 g9 592 not listed for the meltdown and spectre security vulnerabilities in the link :(
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/535036/faq-cpu-gpu-temps-fps-settings-other-info/meltdown-and-spectre-security-vulnerabilities

I don't have an answer. It looks like they are not updating the Predators with the 6th gen Intel CPUS.

Skelo

- Dr. Seuss
  • Zahir89
    Zahir89 Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    edited March 2018
    Zahir89 said:

I don't have an answer. It looks like they are not updating the Predators with the 6th gen Intel CPUS.

Skelo
    Ohh no, it's sad and unfair for the customers who got one