Predator Helios 300 Temperature

Answers

• indomiekuah4
    indomiekuah4 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

when i press it, there are 2 sounds every time i boot up my laptop but its very hard to describe it and it sounds like bip and pew

• xTrinity
    xTrinity Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Im peaking at 80 - 90C at gaming and Im NOT HAPPY WITH IT..

I HOPE WE GET THIS STRAIGHT FROM ACER Support, Acer Engineers, Helios 300 Designers, Helios 300 Stress testers..

Are These temperatures normal for these LAPTOPS? please answer us because we love our Helios 300 and would want a fix before its too late.... if this isnt normal at all.

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    if you peak between 80 and 90 that is normal in my opinion for this laptop as the cooling system is bad made for the CPU. You can look for pictures online and see where the fans are placed. If you turn the laptop upside down and open it you will see 2 fans next to each other on the left side(like the lenovo y50-70). Then from these fans you have 2 copper pipes going through the GPU first and then the CPU, which basicly means that all the heat coming from the GPU is transferred to the CPU, therefore in any means the CPU will get very hot as it doesn't have anything to cool it down from its side. 2nd thing, Dota 2 stresses the CPU more so higher temps have to be expected.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Flx
    Flx Member Posts: 466 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon

ven98 wrote:
    if you peak between 80 and 90 that is normal in my opinion for this laptop as the cooling system is bad made for the CPU. You can look for pictures online and see where the fans are placed. If you turn the laptop upside down and open it you will see 2 fans next to each other on the left side(like the lenovo y50-70). Then from these fans you have 2 copper pipes going through the GPU first and then the CPU, which basicly means that all the heat coming from the GPU is transferred to the CPU, therefore in any means the CPU will get very hot as it doesn't have anything to cool it down from its side. 2nd thing, Dota 2 stresses the CPU more so higher temps have to be expected.

Yes to add this are you limiting your framerate xTrinity? Since the monitor is only 60hz there's no point (besides maybe input lag) in going 100 fps and making your laptop work harder. Try enabling Vsync in the game or limiting your frames and see if your temps come down. Those temps are normal for these laptops as Ven says, you can undervolt your CPU (very simple with good results); or get your laptop repasted which is much more involved process involving sending your laptop in to Acer. Most gaming laptops run hot it's just the way they are.

Also the peak temps aren't too bad what you want to check is your average temps. It may spike to 80c briefly but sit at 70c most of the time, or lower.

• GokulRam
    GokulRam Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

first hard drive cable and caddy not included.
    second abrupt shut downs.
    and now thermals spiking to 98*c(15 mins of witcher 3)

all within a month of first boot.

seems that only some laptops are having all the issue.

are those laptops second quality (including mine)? 
  • GokulRam said:

Temperatures should not be reaching 98C. It is likely you need to contact Acer support (Refer to the pinned threads). 

On Amazon(biggest seller), they list that some laptops do not have the caddy and SATA cable built in, thus there is no guarantee that it will come with one. 

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss
  • GokulRam
    GokulRam Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

GokulRam said:

Temperatures should not be reaching 98C. It is likely you need to contact Acer support (Refer to the pinned threads). 

On Amazon(biggest seller), they list that some laptops do not have the caddy and SATA cable built in, thus there is no guarantee that it will come with one. 

Skelo
    thanks for the response skelo

but i don't think that's a good idea, especially in my region.
    I bought this laptop in the US.
    The acer dealers here(India) don't even seem to know or care about the hard drive cable issue.
    I wasted a month on acer support(India) and got it via my uncle(from the US).

Please specify the safe limit of thermals this laptop can withstand.
    I'll try undervolting or reducing the graphics.

I know my laptop has issues, I just don't wanna make it worse.

• ven98
    Reducing the graphics will make the CPU temperatures even worse. You should keep the resolution and graphics as high as possible. Undervolting is the way to go and repasting too, if you feel confident doing it. If you have purchased the laptop from the US and you are a resident of India the warranty won't help and you will have to pay. Same thing goes for the HDD mounting kit.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• Skelomorph
    Skelomorph ACE Posts: 463 Pioneer
    edited December 2017
    GokulRam said:
    GokulRam said:

Skelo
    thanks for the response skelo

but i don't think that's a good idea, especially in my region.
    I bought this laptop in the US.
    The acer dealers here(India) don't even seem to know or care about the hard drive cable issue.
    I wasted a month on acer support(India) and got it via my uncle(from the US).

Please specify the safe limit of thermals this laptop can withstand.
    I'll try undervolting or reducing the graphics.

I know my laptop has issues, I just don't wanna make it worse.

For Temperature Info: community.acer.com/en/discussion/535036/frequent-questions-and-answers-information-guide-12-12-2017
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

- Dr. Seuss
  • DudeGuy
    DudeGuy Member Posts: 3 New User
    I found out when the laptop is plugged into its charger and playing a game thats when it really heats up. If you play without it charging at the same time it runs with great temps. So if youre playing while charging try playing without and see 
  • ven98
    edited January 2018
    That is right DudeGuy, but there is a reason for this. When on battery only, the laptop runs about 50% slower, compared to when it is connected to AC. Run a game when on charger(make sure v-sync is off for unlocked fps), disconnect from charger and see how your fps drops. You can use Predator Sense ti find out that while gaming on battery, the CPU and GPU barely reach a half of the max frequency.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Lort
    Lort Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Check this post -> community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/546480#Comment_546480
  • DudeGuy said:
    I found out when the laptop is plugged into its charger and playing a game thats when it really heats up. If you play without it charging at the same time it runs with great temps. So if youre playing while charging try playing without and see 
    That is because when you are on battery, the performance is throttled. Plus, the battery only lasts like 30 minutes when gaming on it so it is not realistic.

Skelo

- Dr. Seuss
  • RUNE24
    RUNE24 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Flx said:

indomiekuah4 wrote:

i just did, and i will let you know within a day of gaming. My concern is that well i know the boiling water point is 100C, while my laptop isnt water, it wont evaporate, but im just worried that the chips or whatever inside it will melt? I just spend $1200 including tax n hdd for this laptop and i dont want to spend another $1200 or so within 2 or 3 years.

Oh no your chips won't melt don't worry about that, at 100c the laptop will shut itself down to prevent damage and the heat tolerance of the chips is much higher than that (I don't have an exact number off-hand). Also make sure coolboost is enabled in PredatorSense if it isn't already. Your laptop should easily last 2-3 years with proper care.

Cool boost has a tendency to spin your fans beyond their rated speed. That could damage them in the long run. Sitting in a well ventilated area without coolboost and using a custom profile should work well. The default profile doesn't look like something that's optimised for how hot this device gets. My laptop hits 97 when I sit at a table because the clearance offered by the feet isn't enough to let the necessary amount of air needed to properly cool the device. Now I tend to prop up the rear on a book. That improves temps greatly.
  • HarpoMarx
    HarpoMarx Member Posts: 4 New User
    Under volting or disabling turbo-boost are the options to lover the temps, still as I have bought this laptop only 2 weeks ago experiencing such behavior is a blow to ACER as a brand and me personally as a consumer, the fact is that Helios 300 Predator PH317-51 is a 17 inch laptop and all other manufacturers are able to cool their products 10-15 degrees lower then ACER is a clear sign that cooling solution is poorly designed, as it is a good performer for a price I'm willing to buy proper cooler and install it my self the only issue is that one is nowhere to be bought. As many people are buying this laptop for gaming purposes and it is not possible to play 3A games on it because of TT(thermal throttling) I would not be surprised if customer complain or return the product.
    I guess it is on ACER to solve this problem and I hope they will listen to their customer complaints.
  • TJD
    TJD Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

HarpoMarx said:
     all other manufacturers are able to cool their products 10-15 degrees lower then ACER 
    I don't think that's quite true. Take a look at the boards on Reddit for Alienware, or MSI, for example, and you'll see plenty of similar complaints about overheating. It's a universal problem with gaming laptops. Alienware in particular seems to have a major problem with their 17r4 model, and I personally returned a 15r3 about a month ago for that reason and switched over to the Helios, which has given me no trouble at all. 
  • HarpoMarx
    HarpoMarx Member Posts: 4 New User
    The model I described is 1050Ti 7700Hq cpu in a 17.3 inch chassis, as tested DEL and LENOVO are cooler and do not throttle
  • ven98
    If a laptop is throttling, that doesn't mean the cooling system is always bad. The quality of the thermal paste and the way it is applied are very important factors(even more important than the cooling system itself to a certain level). If you experience system throttling then the problem is in the thermal paste, not in the cooling system on the helios300.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• RJ10509
    RJ10509 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi just bought this laptop and while i play games i keep checking the max temperature in predator sense and it hovers around 75-80 c. but it is too hot above left side of the keyborad. is it normal??.is it safe??
  • Blitzkrieg
    Blitzkrieg Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited May 2018
    My Predator Helios 300 with i5 7300hq and GTX 1060 gets a GPU temp of 78C-88C(88 being max) and a max cpu temp of 85C (usually around 77-82). Are these high? Will the laptop get damaged if I keep gaming on these settings? I use a cooling pad but it doesn't seem to be of much use. The Predator sender's max fan speed gets the temp to below 78 but I'm scared I'm killing the fans if they're over used. Should I undervolt the cpu? Or are these safe temperatures?