I have the Aspire R3-131T and it came with windows 10 but I cant update.

Onit4You
Onit4You Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 18 in 2020 Archives

I have the Aspire R3-131T which came with winows 10. Although since day one it's been acting up. I tried to update on numerous occasions but to no avail. it gives me a not enogh space error message. I bough a seagate 1 TB eternal hard drive, which has worked great on most things that I need space for, but the windows 10 sotwear wont load on to it, which leaves me stuck with getting those time to update messages, which in turn gves me the clean up space message. I dont understand why even install windows 10 on these laptops if you cannot run and/or update properly. Unless of course it's something that I am doing wrong. Please I need help....

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

the external drive must be NTFS formatted to work as additional storage to update.

i would do a cleanup, by the way, since your Emmc (main storage) is only 32GB and 27GB is occupied by windows 10 installation.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

the external drive must be NTFS formatted to work as additional storage to update.

i would do a cleanup, by the way, since your Emmc (main storage) is only 32GB and 27GB is occupied by windows 10 installation.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Onit4You

Hello and thanks for the quick response. How would I go about formaating it NTFS? I've run the acer care center clean up, optimization, fraggmenting, and so on. I'll try the formatting for the seagate 1TB external HD.

• Onit4You

Hello and thanks for the quick response. How would I go about formaating it NTFS? I've run the acer care center clean up, optimization, fraggmenting, and so on. I'll try the formatting for the seagate 1TB external HD.

I have'nt fixed the issue yet. I'm trying to figure out how to format the seagate. It's actually asking to update the seagate and when I tried it says I don't have enough space on the Aspire. I thought seagate would update onto itself. 

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Formatting removes everything on the disk.

Easy way is to open Fie Explorer>This PC and right click on the drive. Select Format>File System NTFS and check "Quick Format".

- NTFS allows files larger than 4GB e.g for a Sytem Image

Before doing anything else goto File History>System Image Backup and follow the instuctions to save a system image to the newly formated 1TB drive (will create its own directory).

Next perform a disk cleanup including system and delete everything.

If there is a c:\windows.old directory, move it to the 1TB drive.

Now try to perform the Win 10 update. It may say it is out of space on C: and ask about using the 1TB drive. Let it.

Write back if a problem but can always restore from the system image.

ps I also have a R3-131T(-P344) but mine came with a 500GB WD drive I replaced with a Samsun EVO SSD. Without the last 4 of the model number you cannot tell how it was built.

• Leoperales
    Leoperales Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hello. I just updated my Aspire R3 131t 131T with the Fall Creators Update using the Windows Media Creator Tool. It was easier than I thought. It basically saves the Fall Creators Update on a USB, and then you plug the USB in your Aspire and run the exe file. It will take several hours to update, but we'll worth the wait.  :)
  • SantaDave
    SantaDave Member Posts: 1 New User
    All, I have tried to boot from the created USB drive and it won't let me.  Every time I try to come back to try to update this computer I get discouraged and quit because there is always some stumbling block I cannot overcome.  If you all have a handy tip above and beyond what is listed in this thread I would be happy to hear about it.