Acer Predator G9-593 buzzing noise coming from speakers under full load (With Video)

Rares95
Rares95 Member Posts: 120 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
The temps aren't even that high, especially when on battery....
Also notice the temp difference between the cores when plugged in. The bitcoin miner isn't using it 100% (more like 95%). But when it is at 100% the temps differ from 10-15*C depending if I undervolt or not.

Noise Unplugged In:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gpq4oikbyd4nx60/G9%20593%20Noise%20-%20Unplugged_1.mp4?dl=0 

Noise Plugged In:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tr1n46jldsupcqg/G9%20593%20Noise%20-%20Plugged_1.mp4?dl=0

Noise Continued:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/voxvti5qa9zi54x/G9%20593%20Noise%20-%20Continued_1.mp4?dl=0

Within 5 minutes it reaches max volume, where it can be heard from both Left and Right speakers, but mainly on the right speakers. The subwoofer doesn't make any noise.

Also the CPU temps during 100% load with Prime95:

With no undervolt ~15*C dfference between 2 of the physical cores.

With undervolt ~10*C difference between the same 2 physical cores.

Best Answer

• Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    edited August 2018 Answer ✓
    Hi jake_angelson - please check your PM for more information.

We would like to apologize again to all users who are experiencing the reported issue with their Acer Predator G9-593 or G9-793. The resolution is to have the unit sent to an authorized Acer repair facility.  

We will be closing this thread with this post as the official solution. If you have an Predator G9-593 or G9-793 and are experiencing this issue, please contact your local support line https://www.acer.com/worldwide/ select the country you are in and click on the support tab, on the left hand side you will find and option “contact support”.

Best Regards,

Acer-Manny

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    This noise clearly is a coil whining, not a speaker issue. I don't think this is a ground loop issue with the speakers as the noise is high pitched without any low pitched buzzing like here. Usually difference in core temperature is associated with unevenly applied thermal paste. The temperatures are still perfect, considering that you are running a stress test.

Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• ven98
    Does setting a framerate limit(turning V-sync on on games) reduce the noise? If you have the problem on stress tests, then you will also have it(it will be less loud), while gaming with unlocked framerate.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• Rares95
    edited December 2017
    The problem appears when under full load. I never heard coil whine this loud, and it's not high pitched at all. I know what coil whine sounds like, and this doesn't sound like it. It also gets louder and stops completely when resetting. It also doesn't stop once out of full load, taking up to 5 minutes to fade away.
    It didn't used to do this because I didn't use it that much for gaming on new titles that require full GPU power (a 1070 can handle a lot of games with barely 50% load). Coil whine is very high pitched, this is not.

This is when I'm covering the speaker:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/u9d47ihhdvcjliz/Covering%20Speaker_1.mp4?dl=0

This is when it stops after restarting:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/m9sbw397bihq8ig/Restarting_1.mp4?dl=0

When the high load is stopped, the loud buzzing stops in 2 minutes, a crackling sound persisting 2-3 more minutes afterwards until being totally silent:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/h3ti6ian42a2d5i/Crackling.wav?dl=0

High quality recording of the sound ramping up in volume, 2/3 in the audio, i am covering and uncovering the speaker:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/p3hmjb4tv4fx75u/Buzzing%20Recording.wav?dl=0

Spectrum analysis shows that the frequency most present is around 9kHz. This is lower than all the coil whines i know of, which is way above 15kHz.

• ven98
    Most importantly, does it appear while gaming and does it get louder with the increase of fps?
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Rares95
    edited December 2017
    Yes it does. And it's because the load gets higher and the system temperatures rise. It doesn't do it only in gaming, it is NOT caused by any coils, as it's coming FROM THE SPEAKERS. The coil whine from the GPU comes from somewhere in the upper middle of the keyboard, and it's barely audible when it happens sometimes. The GPU coil whine also changes pitch with FPS, this loud buzzing doesn't change in frequency.
  • ven98
    If you are completely convinced that the noise comes from the speaker/s, then you only have one option and it is to contact Acer.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Rares95
    edited December 2017
    That sucks :(
    Really need the laptop, as i don't have anything else to work on. Usually I use an external USB sound card with headphones and didn't notice this until recently when i started some crypto mining and playing some intensive videogames...

Persisting after full load (not filmed until fades out):
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/dox8esanzwjj12t/Persisting%20after%20full%20load.mp4?dl=0 

Here I use an online tone generator to reveal the crackling produced by the right speaker when system volume is up, but the tone generator's volume is low. The subwoofer on low frequencies delivers clear sound, while the right speaker is crackling and struggles to reproduce bass i think? These tests were done after a restart and not under load :
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/4969ft3gvnkld0t/Tone%20Generator%20Test%201.mp4?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/463wrc0rexmzvi4/Tone%20Generator%20Test%202.mp4?dl=0

Crackling persisting after the audio tests above:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/kp6ubluw8juqujl/Persisting%20even%20after%20test.mp4?dl=0

• Rares95
    Also may be important, I moved to Denmark a few months ago. They use a Type K Plug, not a standard European plug. So I got basically no ground connection. Could that be it? Most people have normal EU plugs here anyway, they only have a different socket that is compatible 
  • ven98
    edited December 2017
    Speakers should not produce any sound below 500Hz, the only thing you should hear is the subwoofer. I tested it on my unit to confirm and the speakers don't produce any sound. So it looks like something is going on with the low tones. If the crackling presists even if nothing is working in the background then the problem is with the speaker's grounding, but it could be something else.

I assume you have done all things like reinstalling audio drivers just in case.

As a last resort you can update BIOS to latest version and if it is still there you should give a call to Acer.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• ven98
    The type of plug should not be the case, because you experience this even when the device isn't connected to charger. Plus, the earthing that comes from the 230V sockets is only for the charger it doesn't connect to the device. The motherboards grounding is different, it is taken from the '-' .
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Rares95
    I have the latest drivers and bios :D, even tried the new Audio Drivers from Realtek, doesn't help :(
  • ven98
    There might be some loose ground screws, which may cause this, but this requires to open the laptop and we don't now if this is a ground loop issue. It is better if Acer takes care of this.

There reason why I assumed it was a coil whine, is because it is a common thing with these devices and buzzing noise coming out sounded just like the coil whine that I have on my device. The troubleshooting should start from somewhere and it should be from the most common issue.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Rares95
    edited December 2017
    Yeah, i know these things come with coil whine, i don't mind it really as it's not THAT loud and I have headphones when using the laptop. But this sound is WAY too loud to come from any coils 
  • seyf
    seyf Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    I think you are having a similar version to the issue that I am having with my G9. @Scorpio2 had a similar problem too. Mine is out of warranty but Scorpio2 is going to send his laptop for service and we will be able to know what may be the cause of the noise. Check these topics:

community.acer.com/en/discussion/534582/weird-noise-from-right-speaker-of-predator-g9-593-while-gaming
    community.acer.com/en/discussion/534512/weird-noise-after-running-games

• Rares95
    Came back to Romania for the holidays (was in Denmark) and i tried stress testing it again, noise still comes up. These plugs have grounding, so that wasn't the issue. When the GPU starts to be around 74 degrees, the noise starts showing up. The GPU is on the right side, and I think it has to do with something on the right side on the motherboard getting hot from the GPU (maybe a mosfet, idk).
  • Bearfight
    Bearfight Member Posts: 4 New User
    I had this happen to my G9-593 about two weeks ago.  Under full load, the left speaker would start to buzz, quietly at first and gradually getting louder until intolerable... the PC would also start to freeze up at this point and may not reboot without holding the button.  A reboot would stop the buzz.  There were several things that may have caused it. I had re-pasted the processor and left a screw in the case, which worked its way under the motherboard.  Removing the screw did not immediately solve the problem, however.  I had also replaced the chipset and audio drivers with intel and realtek generic drivers, which don't seem to operate well on this system, along with disabling all of the Acer tasks and software.  Thirdly, I had heavily undervolted the processor and may have mismanaged the SST settings, of which I now have a better understanding. 

Some combination of these things must have been the cause, because here is how I solved it, along with the freezing and boot issues.  Firstly, I unplugged the speakers from the motherboard.  This likely had no effect on the fix but I was tired of hearing that buzz.  Just noting it.  To solve the freezing during post, I simply needed to unplug my USB hard drives before boot.  I backed everything up and performed an Alt-F10 D2D recovery, keeping no files, back to factory specs.  I updated the GEForce driver from Nvidia's site.  I went into device manager and updated chipset, audio, ME via Windows, instead of using a generic driver update.  Anything in Device Manager that would update automatically, I updated.  I installed ThrottleStop and undervolted -0.80.  I set the SST range at 10-35.  I set my primary AC profile's SST to 64 and disabled BD PROCHOT.  My gaming profile's SST is 0 with SpeedStep and C1E disabled.  Both profiles have C3 and C1 undemotion disabled.

Important note when using ThrottleStop on this laptop: Acer intall's Intel's XTU Service by default, because one of their predator models can overclock the CPU from Predator Sense.  Ours can not but the XTU Service runs anyway.  Disable or remove the XTU Service before configuring ThrottleStop.  They clash with one another.

I ran the PC like this for several days and found it to be very stable.  More stable than it has ever been, in fact.  I crossed my fingers and plugged the speakers back into the motherboard.  It has now been 2 days of heavy use (HTC Vive, 2 1080p displays, PredatorSense at Turbo, processor pinned at 3.1-3.2Ghz for 6+ hours) and the problems have all been solved.  I've never been more impressed by the machine.  I will update if there are any changes.
  • touchnova
    touchnova Member Posts: 61 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Having the same exact issue, started about 4-5 days ago.  Laptop is 10 months old, I'm very disappointed.  Here's a video I made recording the noise mine is making:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_iyRQ830oI

• Bearfight
    Bearfight Member Posts: 4 New User
    Bearfight said:
    I had this happen to my G9-593 about two weeks ago.  Under full load, the left speaker would start to buzz, quietly at first and gradually getting louder until intolerable... the PC would also start to freeze up at this point and may not reboot without holding the button.  A reboot would stop the buzz.  There were several things that may have caused it. I had re-pasted the processor and left a screw in the case, which worked its way under the motherboard.  Removing the screw did not immediately solve the problem, however.  I had also replaced the chipset and audio drivers with intel and realtek generic drivers, which don't seem to operate well on this system, along with disabling all of the Acer tasks and software.  Thirdly, I had heavily undervolted the processor and may have mismanaged the SST settings, of which I now have a better understanding. 

Some combination of these things must have been the cause, because here is how I solved it, along with the freezing and boot issues.  Firstly, I unplugged the speakers from the motherboard.  This likely had no effect on the fix but I was tired of hearing that buzz.  Just noting it.  To solve the freezing during post, I simply needed to unplug my USB hard drives before boot.  I backed everything up and performed an Alt-F10 D2D recovery, keeping no files, back to factory specs.  I updated the GEForce driver from Nvidia's site.  I went into device manager and updated chipset, audio, ME via Windows, instead of using a generic driver update.  Anything in Device Manager that would update automatically, I updated.  I installed ThrottleStop and undervolted -0.80.  I set the SST range at 10-35.  I set my primary AC profile's SST to 64 and disabled BD PROCHOT.  My gaming profile's SST is 0 with SpeedStep and C1E disabled.  Both profiles have C3 and C1 undemotion disabled.

Important note when using ThrottleStop on this laptop: Acer intall's Intel's XTU Service by default, because one of their predator models can overclock the CPU from Predator Sense.  Ours can not but the XTU Service runs anyway.  Disable or remove the XTU Service before configuring ThrottleStop.  They clash with one another.

I ran the PC like this for several days and found it to be very stable.  More stable than it has ever been, in fact.  I crossed my fingers and plugged the speakers back into the motherboard.  It has now been 2 days of heavy use (HTC Vive, 2 1080p displays, PredatorSense at Turbo, processor pinned at 3.1-3.2Ghz for 6+ hours) and the problems have all been solved.  I've never been more impressed by the machine.  I will update if there are any changes.
    The noise reoccurred 2 days ago, after about two weeks.  I tolerated it until I could restart.  I shutdown, pulled power, reset the battery and left it unplugged for 5-10 minutes.  I haven't had it come back since then.  Thinking it might be something I'll just have to deal with until I feel like sending it in.  It's a new motherboard type of job at the least, unfortunately.
  • orudie
    orudie Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

I have the same issue with my acer predator 15 laptop. I bought it in the summer, it was fine for about 5 months and the cracking noise started coming from the speakers about a month ago. It happens when I am playing games. I use bluetooth receiver for sound and I even tried disabling realtek sound in device manager but the noise is still there even when using bluetooth. We need acer support to step in and release a patch of some sort.
  • Rares95
    Mine went fine for almost a year now, will send it in soon for repairs. It's weird that it stops after a reset/shutdown, only to come back on again afterwards. But it seems like an overheating of some component though. If I leave fans on full, it will not appear that often or it will go away partially... there's some component that overheats and does this....
This discussion has been closed.