Acer Predator Helios 300 Keyboard Problem

wellsdakm
wellsdakm Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2018 in Predator Laptops
Hi,

The keyboard on my Acer Predator Helios 300 is hugely frustrating, certain keys on the keyboard do not work unless I press them really hard (and by that I mean to the point where my fingers hurt). These keys are all in the same area, mainly r, t, f, g, v, c, and 6. 

I only bought it a month ago, and it's been an issue since I bought it, but recently it's been worse. 

Strangely, if I use the laptop for a few hours the keys seem to 'warm up' and become more responsive (hence I'm able to type this). 

Has anyone found a fix or had similar issues?

Thanks guys.

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    I would suggest you to update BIOS. You can download the latest BIOS from here: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/drivers

NOTE: Before executing the installation make sure the battery is fully charged and laptop connected to charger. During the installation the device may restart several times so don't turn it off or disconnect the charger.

If it doesn't fix the problem you should contact Acer in your region and request a repair of your device.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Meskit
    Meskit Member Posts: 3 New User
    I have a similar problem with Fn, Z '. I bought it only one month ago, how come this is happening? In my case it doesn't "get back alive"...

• Meskit said:
    I have a similar problem with Fn, Z '. I bought it only one month ago, how come this is happening? In my case it doesn't "get back alive"...

You need to contact Acer support. it is likely the keyboard is bad.

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss
  • ZielNazareth
    ZielNazareth Member Posts: 67 Devotee WiFi Icon
    wellsdakm said:
    Hi,

The keyboard on my Acer Predator Helios 300 is hugely frustrating, certain keys on the keyboard do not work unless I press them really hard (and by that I mean to the point where my fingers hurt). These keys are all in the same area, mainly r, t, f, g, v, c, and 6. 

I only bought it a month ago, and it's been an issue since I bought it, but recently it's been worse. 

Strangely, if I use the laptop for a few hours the keys seem to 'warm up' and become more responsive (hence I'm able to type this). 

Has anyone found a fix or had similar issues?

Thanks guys.
    Did you experience that problem since day one of your purchase? You didn't try for replacement?

Bearer of the Savior's Insignia
  • Meskit
    Meskit Member Posts: 3 New User
    Meskit said:

You need to contact Acer support. it is likely the keyboard is bad.

Skelo
    It started working again as soon as I decided to take it to tech support.
  • JMichEvans
    JMichEvans Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

This is the first re-post from another thread, though I find this relevant to addressing the problem.

I had the same issue with my Acer Predator G3-571 a few days after purchasing it; T, U, P, ], and a few others were unresponsive unless I pushed down hard enough (though they responded normally most of the time if I did not exert pressure on the base of the laptop). After uninstalling/reinstalling the keyboard driver, updating the BIOS, and performing a hard reset via the battery reset pin, I finally fixed the problem by tightening the ribbon cable connecting the keyboard to the motherboard.

More than likely, a loose connection between the ribbon cable and the keyboard is the culprit behind the problem. If you're not comfortable diagnosing your computer and performing that fix if necessary, contact Acer support or an otherwise certified technician.

<I'm-not-an-Acer-employee>
  • NicolasO
    NicolasO Member Posts: 4 New User
    Hello Acer,

I buyed the Acer Predator Helios 300 PH 317-52 Recently. I realized the keyboard dont work propretly, the keyboard dont respond to some keys for unknow reason. I working as administrator - Secretary at my work. I confirm there was no water or movement that could harm the laptop computer hardware components. 

However, I saw on the internet acer community there is lots of customers who experimenting the same issue. Its high possible this laptop already had building malfonction from factory ?
  • Anshi_24
    Anshi_24 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi i bought Acer predator helios 300 2020 version last November. The keyboard was working fine until recently. Now the keyboard behaves abnormally. Upon starting , when i press certain keys , it types other keys too. Supposedly, if i type " r" it types "ry" instead. And it is happening with many other random keys. After sometimes the issue seems to go away. I called for acer care support and the technician checked the entire device. Everything seems to be fine but still this issue arose again. Should i get my keyboard replaced entirely as my laptop is under warranty already?.
  • NJT98
    NJT98 Member Posts: 1 New User

I was going mad with this issue and I actually managed to fix it by dowing the following:

1. Press Windows key+ X
    2. Device Manager
    3. Keyboard
    4. Right-click on the keyboard and choose ‘Uninstall device’
    5. It will then restar your pc and the issue should now be fixed.