What is Mimo?

Wickrabb
Wickrabb Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I bought the Acer Nitro 5 Laptop today and after installing Windows 10 Pro 64bit I started downloading some softwares and stuff I needed but my internet connection suddenly stopped, I thought it could be the provider's fault and ignored it. I had turn off and back on the router to get it to work. After a while I did an internet speed test to see how good is the connection and the connection dropped again. This started to seem fishy and after I turned off and back on the router I did a test again and the connection dropped. It was a this point I realised that is something wrong with the laptop. I thought maybe the router doesn't get enough power and changed the power supply cable even though it wasn't needed because it was the correct amount of power so this dropped. I saw something wrote on the laptop "Mimo - up to 2x faster wireless". https://imgur.com/a/h4ljF I did some digging about this Mimo thing because I've never heard of it before and I thought maybe this is the issue. And it seems the only thing that could be wrong. The internet connection keeps dropping even when I'm not really using the internet and the only fix is to turn off and back on the router. I read somewhere that for Mimo to work both the wireless adapter and the router need to have this technology but is this implying that it won't work at all or i won't get the faster connection from Mimo. And If buy a Mimo router, will I be able to connect other devices like phones or laptops that do not use the Mimo technology.

TL;DR: My Mimo wireless adapter causes my internet connection(router) to stop working.

Answers

• Wickrabb
    edited November 2017
    Forgot to mention:
    Specs:
    TP-LINK WR841N Router
    Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A Wireless Network Adapter
    Laptop ACER Aspire Nitro 5 AN515-31-52DR, Intel® Core™ i5-8250U 3.4GHz, 15.6" Full HD, 8GB, 1TB, NVIDIA GeForce MX150 2GB

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    You can update your Atheros driver.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Wickrabb
    Already tried to update it to the latest version and nothing, downgrading to win 10 1511 seems to make it more durable but in the end, it still loses connection
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    It would be good to connect the device to another router and see if the issue will still persists. MIMO or 802.11n is multiple inputs and outputs, which helps to reach higher network speed. I doubt the problem occurs, because the laptop has mimo, but the rooter doesn't.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• kahlilvanz
    kahlilvanz Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Example the use of MIMO is when you CAST out your display to a wireless display like smart TV but still connected to your internet wireless connection. You have two or more connection at the same time.

Another example is when you Cast your andriod phone display to your laptop using Connect application which is pre-install in latest Windows 10 but still your laptop connected to your WIFI router for internet connection. There are two connections with independent network configuration at the same time. That is MIMO for.
  • kahlilvanz
    kahlilvanz Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

And also it doesn't mean it has a MIMO feature it 2x faster, no. The right word for that is you can establish/create multiple connections (2 or more) depending to MIMO specisification, Another best example is when you enabled Mobile Hotspot (hostednetwork) while connected to your WIFI router to share internet connection (without compromising your WIFI router password or just to avoid someone know your WIFI password or Just to extend the sharing of internet connection) :) 
  • tanuj
    tanuj Member Posts: 1 New User
    Wickrabb said:
    Forgot to mention:
    Specs:
    TP-LINK WR841N Router
    Laptop ACER Aspire Nitro 5 AN515-31-52DR, Intel® Core™ i5-8250U 3.4GHz, 15.6" Full HD, 8GB, 1TB, NVIDIA GeForce MX150 2GB
    Hey,

Just wanted to ask where did you buy this laptop from and the price you paid for it. I am from New Delhi, India. The same model is available here for ₹51k ($800).

I hope you get your WiFi problem solved soon. MIMO seems to be causing more headaches here.
  • Wickrabb
    tanuj said:
    Wickrabb said:
    Forgot to mention:
    Specs:
    TP-LINK WR841N Router
    Hey,

Just wanted to ask where did you buy this laptop from and the price you paid for it. I am from New Delhi, India. The same model is available here for ₹51k ($800).

I hope you get your WiFi problem solved soon. MIMO seems to be causing more headaches here.

Hey,

I bought it from a big Romanian store for around 700$, sorry for the late response but I just gave up on this, plugged a lan cable and been waiting for a new driver or update on windows 10 to fix it.