Spin 1 not staying on unless plugged in?

gordo1701e
gordo1701e Member Posts: 6 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
Hi all,
I'm actually posting this for a friend who just recently purchased a Spin 1 from Walmart.  The situation is that when she unplugs the charger/power supply, the whole laptop shuts down and will not power on again unless she pugs it back in.  I was wondering if this was a bios issue or an actual battery problem?  To me it sounds like an actual Hardware issue but I don't really want to have to RMA it as it's her only pc right now and she needs it for school.  Before anyone asks, it's past the return period at Walmart as they only allow 14 days from the date of purchase to return or exchange laptops.  I will post actual system specs if needed but was hoping for any thoughts before I proceed.

Best Answer

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    There is third party software called BatteryInfoView from Nirsoft that can tell you a lot more about what is going on with the battery and power supply.

Answers

• Teetertotter
    Teetertotter Member Posts: 20 Networker
    Get it registered on Acer Website.  Then call their support Group.  It has a year warranty.  Sounds like the laptop battery is not being charged.  There should be a lower left icon at the bottom of the screen with a picture of the battery.  When it is WHITE color, the battery is fully charged.  Perhaps she did not leave it plugged in long enough for the battery to be charged.  

Mine is plugged in every night.  It retains about a 7 hour charge before needing recharging.  Hope this helps.
  • gordo1701e
    Get it registered on Acer Website.  Then call their support Group.  It has a year warranty.  Sounds like the laptop battery is not being charged.  There should be a lower left icon at the bottom of the screen with a picture of the battery.  When it is WHITE color, the battery is fully charged.  Perhaps she did not leave it plugged in long enough for the battery to be charged.  

Mine is plugged in every night.  It retains about a 7 hour charge before needing recharging.  Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the reply.  I agree that it sounds like a battery issue but I had her check that and Windows is showing the battery as being fully charged.  I will definitely get it registered and talk to Support about it. I was kind of hoping it was a simple fix but it's sounding more and more like I'm going to have to RMA this thing to get it fixed. 
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    There is third party software called BatteryInfoView from Nirsoft that can tell you a lot more about what is going on with the battery and power supply.
  • gordo1701e
    padgett said:
    Great, thanks for the heads up! I actually forgot about that one.
  • Teetertotter
    Teetertotter Member Posts: 20 Networker
    Gordo, good luck and let us know your out come for others that might need to know in the future.
    Yes, it is very disappointing.
  • gordo1701e
    Gordo, good luck and let us know your out come for others that might need to know in the future.
    Yes, it is very disappointing.
    I'll definitely keep everyone updated. Thanks for the suggestions from both of you!
  • MrBlueZA
    MrBlueZA Member Posts: 3 New User
    gordo1701e I have the same issue. Did your friend ever get it resolved?
  • gordo1701e
    MrBlueZA said:
    No, unfortunately it's an internal hardware problem and we ended up having to RMA it to get it fixed.  Acer was actually pretty good about it and covered the shipping cause she'd only had the laptop a little more than a month.  Just waiting to get it back and see what happens from there.
  • gordo1701e
    MrBlueZA said:
    No, unfortunately it's an internal hardware problem and we ended up having to RMA it to get it fixed.  Acer was actually pretty good about it and covered the shipping cause she'd only had the laptop a little more than a month.  Just waiting to get it back and see what happens from there.
    Hey MrBlueZA! 

Just a heads up that I got the laptop back back from Acer repair a couple of days ago and the actual problem is the battery switch that controls where the power is coming from.  Essentially the switch was malfunctioning and not changing to battery power when unplugged.  Hope you're able to get this resolved with acer because it's not a user repairable part.