Acer One 10 S1002 Keyboard Problem

Roice_Mico
Roice_Mico Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited March 18 in 2019 Archives

Acer One 10 S1002 suddenly not detected/deataches/removes and immediately detects/attaches without even touching or moving the keyboard from the tablet. The Keyboard, Touchpad, External Hard Drive suddenly deataches and does not work and after a second it will work again without even doing something else in the keyboard except to use it normally.

Best Answer

• billvt
    billvt Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

It is actually a picture sequence at https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Acer_One_10_S1002-145A. Select the motherboard replacement and look through the sequence. The step 3 picture shows the connector I found a problem with at the bottom of the picture. There is a special plastic tool for wedging the unit apart. I used a plastic orange peeler that is about the same. The only other tools needed are a Philips screwdriver, care, and patience. The connector has a little clamp that comes up from one end and it to go down over the ribbon cable to hold it in place. There is a fold-over in the ribbon cable that I moved slightly and retaped to make it less prone to pull out of the connector. Good luck.

Answers

• CharmaineWho
    CharmaineWho Member Posts: 30 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE. I posted the link here but acer removed them. They haven't given me a good fix yet. They keep saying to have it repaired when I know it isn't a hardware problem. Have you solved it already? I'm kind of desperate here.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

CharmaineWho wrote:

I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE. I posted the link here but acer removed them. They haven't given me a good fix yet. They keep saying to have it repaired when I know it isn't a hardware problem. Have you solved it already? I'm kind of desperate here.

Have you sent yours in for repair? After all, it *could* be a hardware problem with yours.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • CharmaineWho

They dock pins work fine, the keyboard is fine along with the touchpad. ACER is not doing the best they can with this issue. I have seen similiar complaints and all they can offer is repair. The BIOS update must have some kind of bug. Can you please give another remedy aside from repair??

• kanishgeorge
    kanishgeorge Member Posts: 1 New User

I have the same issue.. Don't know what to do..

• take90
    take90 Member Posts: 1 New User

Please do post if anyone has been able to solve this issue.  POST Bios update it does seem improved though.

• billvt

Tinkerer

I suspect the problem for most of you is a quality control issue at the factory. I finally gave up and opened the tablet portion (there is a neat video on line of how to open it up, but if you are not good at this type of thing then take it to someone who is competent at the job). What immediately was obvious was the ribbon cable from the keyboard connector to the computer was not engaged. The cable was not held under the cable clip for the keyboard connector. It is a simple fix, but takes someone who can safely open the unit.

• CharmaineWho

can you post the link of the video?

• billvt

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

It is actually a picture sequence at https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Acer_One_10_S1002-145A. Select the motherboard replacement and look through the sequence. The step 3 picture shows the connector I found a problem with at the bottom of the picture. There is a special plastic tool for wedging the unit apart. I used a plastic orange peeler that is about the same. The only other tools needed are a Philips screwdriver, care, and patience. The connector has a little clamp that comes up from one end and it to go down over the ribbon cable to hold it in place. There is a fold-over in the ribbon cable that I moved slightly and retaped to make it less prone to pull out of the connector. Good luck.

• Roice_Mico
    Roice_Mico Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

It's been a long time since I check out this forum. I tried the solution above about the hardware fix, I tried it and it somehow difficult to try unless your brave enough to hear some clicking sounds, and after I tried to do it, the keyboard is now working. I'll update you all if this fix is really a fix to the keyboard problem. Thanks!
  • CharmaineWho

Finally. After over a year of trying to fix this problem, I finally solved it...though it was really scary opening up the tab part because I was afraid I was going to crack my LCD. The solution works and so far, not once did my tab/keyboard disconnect. It has been 2 days and that's really a feat. Thank you so much, billvt!

• Joe51
    Joe51 Member Posts: 1 New User

I've had this same problem with my Acer Switch 3-013 for seveal months now.  I have sent bac to Acer, under warranty, 3 Times!!! They have apparently replaced both hafls of the PC,  and I'm still having this problem.  Based on all the hits I've gotten researching this problem via Google, Acer seems to have a very poor design.  Lucky for me I bought this at Costco and have a 2 year warranty instead of 1.   No more Acers for me!

• ChelleRC13
    ChelleRC13 Member Posts: 1 New User

How can I open it if there is no 3.5 mm Phillips #0 screws? Thank you for the respond. 

• bwajdyk
    bwajdyk Member Posts: 1 New User

Hey guys.  EE working at an University.  I can confirm that the ribbon cable is loose.  I opened it and found exatly the same thing.  They taped it down so that it touches lightly.  Flexing the computer or just normal vibrations can cause this to loosen.  I sugest you do as he mentions below.  When you move the ribbon cable from where it is taped to the motherboard, move it forward so that the connection is pushed in a bit.  Under compression and reclamped, this should fix the problem.  It did immediately for me and hasn't stopped.  Otherwise this system has been bullet proof for me. It uses my 128Gb MicroSD no problems.  Addtionally you can get converters from the full size to the micro sized USB online.  Then it really can do most of what any other computer can do...except hard core gaming and modeling. 

• steo
    steo Member Posts: 1 New User
    same problem, sent the tablet back in under warranty, suggested the wiring issue, but acer service center messed up the tablet, ended up reset the whole tablet before doing a backup. then replaced the tablet with another pre-owned model. Same problem is back... gonna try to fix the loose cable myself this time...
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    billsey said:

CharmaineWho wrote:

Have you sent yours in for repair? After all, it *could* be a hardware problem with yours.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues with your Acer product, it is recommended to install the Platform Drivers Installer and that all Windows updates al executed, also update to latest BIOS version 1.10.

If you still experience issues after all steps performed, please contact Acer support for better assistance: 

https://www.acer.com/worldwide/

Acer-Manny

• AnonymousCoward
    AnonymousCoward Member Posts: 1 New User
    I'm having the same problem.
    Thanks to all the users who identified the issue and provided a solution.
    NO THANKS to Acer for not admitting this is due to lack of quality control and is a hardware issue that is their fault.
  • Janis
    Janis Member Posts: 3 New User

Acer One 10 S1002 suddenly not detected/deataches/removes and immediately detects/attaches without even touching or moving the keyboard from the tablet. The Keyboard, Touchpad, External Hard Drive suddenly deataches and does not work and after a second it will work again without even doing something else in the keyboard except to use it normally.

we have the same problem.how did you get yours fixed?
  • matri_xxx
    matri_xxx Member Posts: 1 New User
    i did mine just now... opened itjust like in the picture.

i saw the ribbon completely intact but i tried to move things, pushed, tried them all just to make sure a tight connection is secured...

then i closed it up, opened the acer one 10...

BOOM! my keyboard got detected!

thanks guys! :D  
  • ZanderTW2017
    ZanderTW2017 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Thanks to billvt and other users for the instructions on fixing the keyboard issue.  I have my s1002 for over a year and just ran into the same issue a couple of days ago out of the blue.  I'd like to give it a try to pry open the LCD screen.  Yeah, I'm getting a bit nervous.

Just so that I understand the instructions properly, which cable I should retape to ensure proper contact? Is it the one in red circle?   See photo.  Thanks.