Am I the only one with a noisy fan on Swift 3?

stavros
stavros Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives

Since the Bios update to version 1.07, the fan of my laptop makes a lot of noise. I only open a web browser like google chrome and I hear an electrical / mechanical noise. Now the laptop heats up and I feel the heat under the device when it is taped on my thigh for a few minutes. I want to clarify that I did not have this problem before receiving an update for the Bios. Previously this notebook was very quiet and did not heat at all. I tried to install the previous bios V1.05 vesion available on the Acer web site but the installer did not let me. I like this notebook, but much less since it is very noisy. I'm just wondering if i'm the only one with this issue.

Answers

• marknatalie
    marknatalie Member Posts: 7 New User

I'm running both edge and google chrome at the same time and the fan isn't running right now. Maybe check to see if you have other programs running in the background?

• jamal247e
    jamal247e Member Posts: 4 New User

I bought Swift 3 few days ago (December 2016) and the fan noise is really annoying!

I don't run anything special, just Google-Chrome and it makes that annoying noise and when I don't use the laptop for 30 seconds, the noise will stop, as soon as I start to browse the web, the noise come back!

I didn't update any BIOS it has already the newest version (1.07)

Does anyone any solution for this annoying sound?

(P.S. dear Acer please release a new update for this problem)

• stavros

I did a factory reset and even without anything running I always hear a Whistling/electrical sound comming from underneath the keyboard and as soon as I start Edge or access anything else from the start menu, the Whistling sound gets louder as the fan starts. I don't like this laptop and i'm bringing it back to the store. Where I live we have 90 days to bring back something to the store without having to answer any questions. The only thing interesting about this laptop is the look and the price. There might be a problem with my laptop but I'll get my money back, I don't want to get an exchange for another swift 3. I'm realy disapointed about this product.

• atretkow
    atretkow Member Posts: 1 New User

I bought my i7 Swift 3 last week, and I plan to return it after the weekend. The fan runs all the time and it is difficult to bear. The CPU usage is between 5 and 10%.

• jamal247e

I had the same problem with Acer Swift 3,

I searched a lot but no solution!

Finally I contacted the Acer Support and I found out that it might have Hardware problem and they ask me to send the laptop to support center for technical review.

I did send it and when I got the laptop back,  the noise was gone! They fixed the problem!

Just contact the support center and ask for help :-)

• jamal247e

I contacted the Acer Support and I found out that it might have Hardware problem and they ask me to send the laptop to the Support center for technical review.
    I did send it and when I got back the laptop, the noise was gone! They fixed the problem!
    Just contact the support center and ask for help :-)

• AustinLi1118
    AustinLi1118 Member Posts: 2 New User

what country are you from? I have the exact same problem and i sent my laptop back to fix but instead i got a call back saying that this model does have a loud fan and it came back being exactly as loud as before... 
    im from canada by the way

• jamal247e

I'm in Austria.

• stavros
    I had to bring back the laptop to Bestbuy and got my money back. I was lucky because I bought it on black friday and at Bestbuy I had untill January 8th to get my money back because of christmas holidays. I bought a MacBook pro instead and I love this jewel...
  • Jose-Acer
    Jose-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,339 Community Administrator

Hello All,

I’m sorry that you’re not happy with the volume of the fan sound on your Swift 3 laptop.  While acceptable fan sound can be subjective from person to person, if it's too loud it can be indicative of a hardware issue.  If you feel that the sound is too loud on your unit I would suggest contacting your local Acer Support to set the unit up for repair.

• andreramos
    andreramos Member Posts: 1 New User
     i bought this laptop yesterday (acer swift 3) and just using the browser I notice the fan turning on and off 
    constantly... its making the noise just you say.. did you find any solution for this problem?
    Portugal, by the way

• Jose-Acer
    Jose-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,339 Community Administrator

andreramos wrote:
     i bought this laptop yesterday (acer swift 3) and just using the browser I notice the fan turning on and off 
    constantly... its making the noise just you say.. did you find any solution for this problem?
    Portugal, by the way

Please make sure that all Acer Care Center updates are installed.  If after running the updates the system is still noisy, please contact Support.

• Alex90_
    Alex90_ Member Posts: 2 New User

Same here Smiley Sad

• Alex90_
    Alex90_ Member Posts: 2 New User

Stavro any solution ?

• sydalg
    sydalg Member Posts: 1 New User

bought my acer swift 3 last january 2017.  after a month, it started to have an annoying sounds just right after i turned on the laptop. and its getting louder after few minutes.   i went to their service center just this month of june before i travel out and before the repair warranty lapses.  just then, they replace the speaker.  however, after few days, the sound is coming back again.  just as the same right after turning on, the sounds is there sometimes it gets loud or sometimes low but its still there.  sigh...  does anybody from acer has a better remedy for this?  Philippines

• ge96
    ge96 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I just wanted to share this, I have an Acer Swift 3 as well at this time, bought refurbished. This may not necessarily apply to your problem. I checked the system resources/cpu temp/and whatever, that was all fine so I didn't know why the fan was loud.

I took mine apart, the bottom comes off really easily, it's a single panel/nothing attached to it.

I could see on the dual fans, there is a sticker that is slightly covering the right fan, it was rubbing against the fan, this white sticker thing. Then the black-sticky tape barely goes over the edge of the right fan as well but that part isn't really the problem. It's the loose white tag getting sucked into the fan mine was partially chewed up.

See photo

https://i.imgur.com/XnlFw7W.png
  • ge96
    ge96 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Sorry, can't edit previous post, a tip on taking it apart (if you do)

After you've removed screws, start prying from the back (where the fan is/under the screen) this will then start the "un-snapping" process and you can then trace around the edges of the laptop.
  • Khai
    Khai Member Posts: 1 New User
    For my laptop acer swfit3 when I install window 10 bulid 1024 the noise is disappear and when I come back to setup window 10 bulid last version the noise is come back again the noise like electric shock.
  • cs3
    cs3 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I just got mine. From the exact moment I first started it up it had been quite loud no matter if I am doing anything on it or not. Not a high pitched sound, it's a constant low whirring noise. Sometimes it gets louder. Going to call soon...
  • LegatusOnoris
    LegatusOnoris Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited April 2018
    Hi guys!
    Don't know if you already resolve your issues but I'm sharing this with you, 'cause I had it(tha fans problem) and resolve only last week.

If you all still have fans that start their work even if the pc doesn't need it, in a very loud way and keep it without stopping (only way: restart the pc), follow this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=299P_hrZR9Q

TL;DR it's only a matter of processor, so at the end I lowered a little bit the max proc. state to 80% and not 100%.

It's been 4-5 days I'm in this situation and I'm very happy, I resolved the unique con of this machine.