Aspire Switch 10 E SW3-013: Drivers lost after Windows Fall Creators Update 1709

pasogo
pasogo Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
The first time I applied the update manually, the same day it got released.

Today, Windows Update offered me the Fall Update.

Both times, I got a laptop without touch screen or card reader (where I have most of my apps since the C drive space is ridiculous after Windows populates it with its periodic updates).

On device manager, NOTHING shows up. It's not a missing driver, it's like there's no hardware to detect.

God knows what other drivers/hardware/features I have lost.

Both times I have reverted to previous version.

I'm the only one in this situation? Acer official compatibility list has my model on it.

So what is going on here??

Thanks.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    on device manager, if you click on the tab View/Show hidden devices, are you able to find the card reader?
    if so, try to install this driver:
    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=15&PFid=25&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • pasogo

Tinkerer

I'll try, but what about the touch screen?

What about any other losses I'm not even aware that also might be lost?

Why is my model listed on the compatibility list when clearly is not compatible at all?

Am I the only one in this situation? Has this happen to anyone else??

Thanks.
  • IronFly
    1) let's try to fix the card reader first, then we will look at the touchscreen.
    2) check on device manager for any yellow esxclamation mark or red cross
    3) i don't know, i don't work for Acer
    4) at the moment, i don't remember other reports.
  • pasogo

Tinkerer

OK, let's wait for someone who has the same model as me.

There's no yellow exclamation, that's my point, they are not even recognized.

I may try and fix the card reader, but again, that doesn't fix the whole mess up the update did. Other things may be broken.

I'll try and tell you.

Thanks.
  • pasogo

Tinkerer

More info: no audio (or driver in device manager), sd card driver shows as properly installed in manager, but not working.

No battery info, no bright control, generic battery driver shows ok on manager, but is obviously not ok.

This is more than a non-working sd card reader, I'm reverting back to 1703.

I have no explanation for this model showing up on the compatibility list, I think this is a very bad support from ACER.

Windows will ask for the update sooner than later. So please, ACER, give me a solution shortly.

• IronFly
    Before reverting, try to re-install the master installer from the Acer support website
  • pasogo

Tinkerer

That worked, although it makes no sense to me...

Audio is distorted again (it happened before on another update). I don't remember what I did to fix it, but I'm gonna reinstall the driver from the ACER website (currently installed seems to be newer).

If that doesn't work, does anyone remember how to solve this problem?
  • IronFly
    It does make sense to me, maybe the update screwed the basic drivers for your device.
    About distorted sound, no experience, sorry.
  • pasogo

Tinkerer

Distorted sound got fixed uninstalled current Realtek driver and installing the one for driver.

Of course it makes sense to me too, I'm a programmer myself so I now what happened. I meant I don't know how can ACER certify this update when it breaks almost anything. What about people how don't know about drivers and stuff?

Thanks to all anyways.
  • IronFly
    Yeah, i agree.
  • Servulus
    Servulus Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have the same problem here with SW3-016. I have tried to download the drivers and installed it but the audio, internet connection, and touchscreen were not working. So which master driver should I use?
    Thanks
  • pasogo

Tinkerer

No idea, but my guess would be platform drivers :)