Windows Update stuck on “Please wait while we install a system update” message (Acer r5-471t-534x)

Comments

• SkittleBeast
    SkittleBeast Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    RCheslek said:
    This may sound stupid, but do these instructions start with the laptop currently on and on a black screen or with the laptop off?  I can't seem to get the machine to start the update from either state...

And how long should the update take to complete?  I don't mind the wait, but don't want to waste time staring at a black screen for an hour for something that should take 30 seconds to complete.
    Laptop should be turned off when starting.  Should take just a couple of minutes. 
  • RCheslek
    RCheslek Member Posts: 3 New User
    RCheslek said:
    This may sound stupid, but do these instructions start with the laptop currently on and on a black screen or with the laptop off?  I can't seem to get the machine to start the update from either state...

And how long should the update take to complete?  I don't mind the wait, but don't want to waste time staring at a black screen for an hour for something that should take 30 seconds to complete.
    Laptop should be turned off when starting.  Should take just a couple of minutes. 
    Thank you, but I'm afraid nothing is happening. The laptop is powered down, I insert the 1GB FAT32 formatted USB drive w/ 1.12 BIOS file. I hold <Fn> and <ESC> together, plug in the AC adapter, press the power button, then let go of <Fn> and <ESC>. Nothing. Just a black screen.
  • SkittleBeast
    RCheslek said:
    RCheslek said:

Thank you, but I'm afraid nothing is happening. The laptop is powered down, I insert the 1GB FAT32 formatted USB drive w/ 1.12 BIOS file. I hold <Fn> and <ESC> together, plug in the AC adapter, press the power button, then let go of <Fn> and <ESC>. Nothing. Just a black screen.
    The most common issue is the wrong bios file or named incorrectly.  Are you using the file directly from this link below?  

drive.google.com/file/d/1PyiPi6xmKy6iR16Eru9JK1LKOtkRXvL3/view

And are you certain you have the same model Acer?  Model:  
    R5-471T
  • RCheslek
    RCheslek Member Posts: 3 New User
    RCheslek said:
    RCheslek said:

The most common issue is the wrong bios file or named incorrectly.  Are you using the file directly from this link below?  

drive.google.com/file/d/1PyiPi6xmKy6iR16Eru9JK1LKOtkRXvL3/view

And are you certain you have the same model Acer?  Model:  
    R5-471T
    Answer A) Yes - copied directly from that link.
    Answer B) No. I followed a trail from another forum to this one. I have an Acer G9-791-735A

I guess that probably sums up why this particular BIOS isn't flashing. I guess I need to go look for the correct one. Didn't notice this thread was talking about a completely different model. Ugh.
  • SkittleBeast
    Yeah.  Just make sure you get the right .fd file.  I can't help you with how to get it because I got it from msmith who already had gotten it from somewhere.  Good luck!
  • SkittleBeast
    KaynonX said:
    i am confused on what to do.
    Do you have this problem with the Model:  R5-471T?
  • EvilPenguin
    EvilPenguin Member Posts: 4 New User
    Thanks SkittleBeast!!! That worked for my Acer Aspire R 14 !!!!
  • Brendondean05
    Brendondean05 Member Posts: 3 New User
     said:
    Thanks, but how do you do that?  When i download the BIOS it comes in a zip.  Do I extract that and put that on the flash drive?  Do I leave it as a zip?  Do I have to rename the file?  What's the process?

Yes extract and you have to rename the BIOS file to  SKI2Luffy.fd

I had problems until I used this version (1.12) of the BIOS at this link below... BTW it is already renamed. Just download it and copy to USB stick.
    drive.google.com/file/d/1PyiPi6x...RXvL3/view

That's the only file you need on the USB stick.

Then flash using this procedure:

1. Copy the BIOS file to an empty and with FAT16/32 formatted usb stick.  I used a 4GB usb stick.
    2. Unplug the AC adapter.
    3. Plug in the USB flash disk.
    4. Press and hold <Fn> and <Esc>, and then plug in the AC adapter while still holding <Fn> and <Esc>.
    5. Press the Power button. You can now stop holding <Fn> and <Esc>.
    6. The BIOS flash should now begin, the fan will spin up and the power led should change its state.
    7. After everything is done, the notebook will shut down.
    Will this work on a desktop
  • SkittleBeast
     said:
    Thanks, but how do you do that?  When i download the BIOS it comes in a zip.  Do I extract that and put that on the flash drive?  Do I leave it as a zip?  Do I have to rename the file?  What's the process?

Yes extract and you have to rename the BIOS file to  SKI2Luffy.fd

I had problems until I used this version (1.12) of the BIOS at this link below... BTW it is already renamed. Just download it and copy to USB stick.
    drive.google.com/file/d/1PyiPi6x...RXvL3/view

That's the only file you need on the USB stick.

Then flash using this procedure:

1. Copy the BIOS file to an empty and with FAT16/32 formatted usb stick.  I used a 4GB usb stick.
    2. Unplug the AC adapter.
    3. Plug in the USB flash disk.
    4. Press and hold <Fn> and <Esc>, and then plug in the AC adapter while still holding <Fn> and <Esc>.
    5. Press the Power button. You can now stop holding <Fn> and <Esc>.
    6. The BIOS flash should now begin, the fan will spin up and the power led should change its state.
    7. After everything is done, the notebook will shut down.
    Will this work on a desktop
    I don't know about that.  This post is specific for the laptop in question.
  • sandeepkoko
    sandeepkoko Member Posts: 4 New User
    its done.... thanks a lot
  • TinaChaney
    TinaChaney Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

RCheslek said:

I tried this and the flash drive that I use will flash red every so often but that's it. Still a black screen. Any ideas?
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    I'd give it an hour, can be slow.
  • ceccom
    ceccom Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi, can I have the BIOS link for my laptop Acer Predator 15 G9 592? Thanks.
  • itani
    itani Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Was it the Feature update to Windows 10, version 1803 ?  If yes, this update is slowing down and causing problems on different levels including security and false alerts.  Please see my posting "Re-setting of TPM chipset" in this forum related to the same update.

This update got to be patched soon. People are going crazy and it seems ACER users are among those highly affected.
  • nalgar
    nalgar Member Posts: 10 New User
    hello i have a acer predator triton 700. Somebody have a good bios ? with the "fd" files ?  My bios is bad version =/  Rename the file ?
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    @nalgar (1) What is your full model name PT-????. (2) How did the bad version happen? (3) What is the bad version number? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Just a thought but try reformatting the flash drive to NTFS. I had Windows show the drive and then just stop. I also had one device (a Spin 1 with 32 GB) have a black screen all night and then suddenly awaken on the 1903 update.
  • XdxD
    XdxD Member Posts: 1,581 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    edited August 2019
    Don't try to install big Half-yearly feature updates (>4GB) size through Windows Update. Always use ISO and either clean-install or just install it on top of your current WIndows 10. I have been doing this since 2017 but on my Predator and 8 years old Sony Vaio PC (never had any of the wild issues being descibed by every other site about any Windows Update, except just once in 1809). The updates in each month are Monthly Security updates which are only 100-200 MB in size and they install within 2-10 minutes. Also, keep a backup handy or atleast create a System Restore Point once a week (old ones can be deleted though only after creation of new one). The Windows 10 1903 update has given us some more power by the way; it asks us whether to download a Monthly Security or Half-yearly feature update even if your PC is using unmetered connection. That way you can just Google up the related update and check whether it has issues or not. If it has, just ignore it and Check for Updates after a month. If you find that update to be stable, just go for it =)!
    Trying to do my best here - Your happy Predator owner =)!
  • JoeAlbano
    JoeAlbano Member Posts: 2 New User

Sometimes the logo stays on the screen while Surface updates are installing. Large updates may take up longer than expected, so you may need to wait while they install.

If it's more than an hour and still the device does not boot in to Windows, force shutdown the device.

1. Press and hold the power button until the screen turns off (about 10 seconds), then release the power button.
    2. Press and release the power button to turn your Surface back on. You should see the Microsoft logo.

If that doesn't work, use this shutdown process to make sure your Surface completely turns off. Press and hold down the power button until your Surface restarts and you see the Windows logo screen (this takes about 20 seconds), then release the power button.

If force the device to shut down does not work. Try to force shutdown the device again and restart. After two consecutive failed attempts to start Windows, the Recovery menu will appear.Then select See advanced repair options. Select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Go back to the previous version.

This discussion has been closed.