Acer Spin 5 Function keys with or without Fn holding, function keys F1 - F12 works while holding FN

karelkraml
karelkraml Member Posts: 3 New User
edited December 2023 in Swift and Spin Series
Having Acer Spin 5, the function keys F1 - F12 works only while holding Fn key, otherwise the display brightness, volumes and others are predefined on these keys. That's disaster, because the function keys F1 - F12 are mostly used in many softwares.
How can used them without pressing Fn, is any solution?

Karel
 [Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,328 Trailblazer
    edited November 2017 Answer ✓

Thanks for posting the keyboard picture since it helps me understand your issue. The keyboard specs that I have are for the SP513-51 which seem to have the normal keyboard upon which the FN key must also be depressed to enable the F# hotkey functions. What exact model number do you have?

OK. Try this. Completely power down the machine. Start tapping the F2 button. Then, while still tapping the F2 button, press the power button to turn the machine back on. This should get you into the BIOS menu. Go to the MAIN dropdown to change the function key behavior. Then save and exit the setting. Report back.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Which software are you using where the F1-F12 keys do NOT work? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• CAT_LOVER_96
    CAT_LOVER_96 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Same problem here. F5 doesn't refresh the page in firefox, for example. How can I fix that?
  • JackE
    cat_lover---So how can you tell that it's not refreshing? When you click on the refresh icon do you see the same result? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• karelkraml
    It's not about software, it is default properties of the keybord. The primary activity of the function keys are set for notebook commands, like sleep regime, display brightness, volume up/down, and the typical commands F1 - F12 are active while holding Fn key. 

Thats irritating, does somebody know how switch it, to have primary function of typical function keys? For example, in any software, when type F1, the comp go in sleeping mode, when I want help, I must hold Fn and type F1. F5 does refresh the viewer, but while holding Fn key, when I press only F5, its predefined to switch monitors... see the attached file, the functions of function keys are secondary :o

Please, does somebody know how to fix it?

• JackE
    edited November 2017 Answer ✓

Thanks for posting the keyboard picture since it helps me understand your issue. The keyboard specs that I have are for the SP513-51 which seem to have the normal keyboard upon which the FN key must also be depressed to enable the F# hotkey functions. What exact model number do you have?

OK. Try this. Completely power down the machine. Start tapping the F2 button. Then, while still tapping the F2 button, press the power button to turn the machine back on. This should get you into the BIOS menu. Go to the MAIN dropdown to change the function key behavior. Then save and exit the setting. Report back.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Kocour
    Kocour Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hello, i have Acer Spin 1 (SP111-32N) and in BIOS (v. 1.03) MAIN menu don't have function key behavior item. Why? Pls, help :) 

• JackE

Kocour---I can't find Fn key options in any of the Spin1 series BIOS firmware even though some of the generic manuals may suggest otherwise. You might try to set a BIOS password to see if it will enable an ADVANCE features BIOS option that might allow you to do so. But I don't think it's very likely. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• karelkraml
    JackE said:

Jack E/NJ

Thanks, JackE, this was the solution..
  • DevonSprings
    DevonSprings Member Posts: 2 New User
    Ok I have an ACER SPIN 5. And I am a Certified Computer Guy (CCG) and when I go into the BIOS no such Function Keys Item on the Main Menu. By the Way on Windows 10 the way to the BIOS is to go into Recovery Mode you can't get there by tapping F2. 

Really Painful using Microsoft Products everytime I want to edit a cell I put the wireless off.  

• JackE
    Devon---You gotta be quick with the F2 key to get to BIOS menu outside Windows from a complete power down coldboot. Start tapping F2 before you even push the power button to turn the machine back on or see the ACER logo screen. What is your Spin5's full model number. What cell are you trying to edit that requires wifi to be turned off? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Skagerstrom
    Skagerstrom Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Hahaha Seriously - JackE... The Wifi on/off is on the F2 button. Another function of the F2 key is to actually press F2 - that is stock for editing cells in Excel or renaming files in Windows.

I have the Spin 5 and this is one of my very few gripes with it - there is no way do reverse the FN funciton. No options in the UEFI, no utility, no FN+DEL,FN-NUML or other secret commands that works on Dells etc works on the Acer.
  • JackE
    Skagerstrom---Depends on the SP5 model number. Which do you have? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Skagerstrom

Tinkerer

513somethingsomething. The 2017 Kaby Lake R verison.
  • JackE
    edited December 2017
    Skagerstrom---On a coldboot, the SP513-51 model BIOS menu should be accessed by tapping the F2 key only. The SP513-52N model should be accessed by tapping F2 while also pressing the Fn key. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Skagerstrom

Tinkerer

Yeeeeeeeeees.... But there is still no option in the bios to reverse the functionality of the Fn key.....
  • AndiW
    AndiW Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hi,

I'm having the same problem: I get the Function keys only by holding down the Fn key, otherwise the special keys are used. Starting with (Fn-)F2, I only get into some crippled mini-BIOS (InsydeH20) that does not contain the Function key behavior options.

System is brand-new SP513-52N-54SF, so a Spin 5 with the i5-8250U. German keyboard, Win 10 Home.

Does anyone have a solution? It is a bit urgent, because I'll have only till end of this week before I have to decide whether to keep it or send it back to Amazon, and except for that problem I like the computer, so I would rather keep it. Unfortunately I work a lot with the keyboard blind even on the F-Keys (10-finger writer with >30 years in IT), so this behavior is unacceptable. It is also stupid, because it brings the rarely ever used functions on the first level and the often used on the second and especially puts the 'sleep' function on a single key - not a good idea.

So any idea how I either get this fixed with some system settings (registry?) or how I could maybe get into the real (UEFI) setup program, where the parameter could be sent? I tried to get into the UEFI settings via Windows extended start options, but that didn't work either, it only brought me into that crippled stuff again.
  • JackE

Skagerstrom---According to my specsheet, you must have the SP513-51 model. Sorry, only the SP513-52N has that feature. Jack E/NJ

AndiW---To swap the hotkey and special function of the F1 to F12 keys, you must open the BIOS by tapping the F2 key from a cold boot. Then select the Main menu and change Function key behavior to Function keys.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Skagerstrom

Tinkerer

JackE : I have a SP513-52N with nordic keyboard. 
    The Uefi has the following:
    - Information
    - Main (Time, Date, Network Boot, F12 Boot Menu, Lid Open Resume, Wake on USB while lid closed, D2D Recovery, GPT Partion Recovery, and two options for GPT that are greyed out as GPT is disabled.
    - Advanced (Intel VXD, VTD and SATA config)
    - Security (To much to list... But trust me - it's not there) 
    - Boot (nope...)
    - Exit. 

So nope - it's not there :)
  • JackE
    Sagerstrom---According to the 52N specs, it is not necessary to press the Fn key to use the F1 to F12 function keys when starting your computer (ie, coldbooting) or when using the BIOS. But to swap the hotkey and special function of the F1 to F12 keys after the OS takes over from the BIOS, change the function key setting in the BIOS (to open the BIOS press F2 when starting your computer(cold booting), then select the Main menu and change Function key behavior to Function keys.  Coldbooting means that you should first make sure the power is completely cut off before pressing the power button to turn the machine back on. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Skagerstrom

Tinkerer

It. Does. Not. Have. That. Option. 
This discussion has been closed.