Acer Predator 15 G9-592- Battery plugged in but not charging!

RedC1
RedC1 Member Posts: 20 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi all! 
So yesterday I followed a guide (video) and removed the back plate of my Acer Predator 15 G9-592 for a very minor cleaning of the fans and 2 mouse buttons (they had some sort of dirt under them). I did unplug the battery before working on it to ensure I don't short circuit it or something. After assembling it again, the laptop won't turn on unless it's plugged to the wall. It does recognize that the battery is placed and it says it is 51% charged but it doesnt charge it nor depend on it to power up the laptop. I tried disassembling it again and blowing the battery port in case some dirt got in it or something. I also tried the hard restart thing to drain the static electricity. Further, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers but in vain. Any help would be highly appreciated. Oh and I did not remove the fans or anything.. just cleaned them with some Q tips gently. Been using it for a day now and it all works perfectly except for the battery thing. Did I miss something somewhere? Thanks in advance for any help! 

Best Answer

Answers

• Hi,
    You could try removing the CMOS battery, leave it to rest for a while and try again, make sure not to over tighten the screws when you put back the bottom cover.
  • RedC1
    Ill get all the suggestions and open it once again haha I don't want to keep opening it.. it's a hassle.. Thanks for your reply though. 

BTW I just realized that if I turn off the laptop then turn it on after more than a couple of hours, the LEDs on the keyboard would go on again (which is not the state I left them with before turning it off). This never happened before. Usually before this problem, this would happen only after I reassemble the cover and turn the laptop on for the first time after reassembling it. Some sort of reset? But now its happening every time i turn the laptop (unless I turn it off then on within like half an hour or so). Can this be indicative of something?
  • RedC1
    I will give it a try and report back if it works. Thanks again for your input!
  • RedC1
    Would resetting the battery be of any use when the laptop is unplugged (considering itll be off) ? Or should I reset the battery while its plugged to the wall outlet for it to really reset? I mean it doesn't make any sense resetting something thats off hehe.
  • RedC1
    Also, I don't know if this questions sounds weird but is there any way the laptop detects/resets when it's disassembled? Because as mentioned earlier, I used to disassemble it then put it back together again (without unplugging/changing anything in it) and the first time I turn it on after this, the LEDs go on (when i did in fact leave them off before opening it).
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer
    edited November 2017
    Yes, you have to do the battery reset with AC adapter disconnected, it discharges static electricity, so you shouldn't connect the laptop to mains. In fact, you should have done the battery reset before attempting the disassembly, there was another member had the same problem and battery reset rectified the problem for him, anyway, as for your second query, you might have accumulated static electricity during the process of disassembly, so no harm in doing the battery reset again.
  • RedC1
    I tried the battery reset thing but unfortunately it didn't work. 
  • Skelomorph
    Skelomorph ACE Posts: 463 Pioneer
    edited November 2017
    I think I know what the problem is.
    When I re-pasted my laptop, I tried running it before screwing the back panel on and it would not run off the battery, here is why:

One of the screws in the back panel (I think it is the one that is the cover for the RAM panel, but not positive) is a grounding screw. If this screw is not screwed in correctly, the battery does not grounded and thus will not work.

Try redoing your screws and make sure you are not missing any. Let us know if it works (Pls and TY) :D.

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss
  • RedC1
    One of the two screws holding the RAM panel got stripped (lost its cross shape and became O) and i took it out by force and threw it away. I guess we now know the culprit. Any remedies? Please don't tell me I can't fix it anymore haha.
  • RedC1
    This makes so much sense now because as i mentioned earlier, the laptop keeps thinking that i took it apart (LEDs come back on every time i turn it on again). This screw indeed might be the problem. Can i use any other screw of similar dimensions?
  • RedC1
    Any idea if we can find the screw specifications in the manual? Will try searching online for it.
  • Skelomorph
    Skelomorph ACE Posts: 463 Pioneer
    edited November 2017
    First Post: Remedy is replacing the screw. (Pretty blunt answer, huh?)

Second Post: I would think yes on being able to use any screw, but I make no guarantees since I have not tried it myself. I would try moving a screw from elsewhere first if its a possibility. You can buy laptop screws from amazon for really cheap ($3.50 for like 300+ screws of variable sizes, might grab some myself to replace the stripped one in my laptop ;D). 

Third Post: Google would be your best friend in finding out the specific screw that you need. Acer's documents, from what I can see, say nothing about the screws in the laptop but the screws that are used in laptops are all pretty much the same. If you have a pc shop nearby, they would probably let you have a screw that they have laying around for next to nothing that is off an old laptop. If you have an old junk laptop, you could probably find the type of screw you need inside of it.

Skelo

Edit: Any screws that screwed directly into the circuit board is likely one of the grounding screw. I see about 4 or 5 that could be the ones required. Try moving one from around the front edge of the laptop to the center/back/around RAM area.
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss
  • brummyfan2
    edited November 2017
    RedC1 said:
    Any idea if we can find the screw specifications in the manual? Will try searching online for it.

You need 8 screws size M2.5x10,    part number:86.Q06N5.002
                   8 screws size M.2.5x5      part number:86.RYNN5.001
                   1 screw size M.2.5x3.5    part number:86.RGV0U.002

• RedC1
    I was too hyped for a fix but yea that would be an answer lol

I did actually try moving one of the front, short screws but it was a bit bigger in diameter. Gotta find the right size. That's true the manual didn't mention anything about the screws. I'll keep you guys updated! Thanks!
  • RedC1
    RedC1 said:

You need 8 screws size M2.5x10,    part number:86.Q06N5.002
                   8 screws size M.2.5x5      part number:86.RYNN5.001
                   1 screw size M.2.5x3.5    part number:86.RGV0U.002

Thanks for the info :D but it so happens that the screw i am looking for is one of the two not circled towards the upper middle part of the laptop right under the fan grill. Thanks anyway :D 
  • RedC1
    Hi again! 
    Update: So, I found a replacement screw of the same dimensions and I screwed it back in but unfortunately the problem is still there :( 
  • brummyfan2
    Answer ✓
    RedC1 said:
    Hi again! 
    Update: So, I found a replacement screw of the same dimensions and I screwed it back in but unfortunately the problem is still there :( 
    Hi,
    Another member has mentioned about a little plastic that presses a button, please check this thread:https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/518398/acer-predator-15-battery-not-charging
  • RedC1
    I must guess this plastic is something like a clip in the back panel. This broke off while i was squeezing out the stripped screw. I almost guessed it was it after replacing the screw. Thank you. I'll try to find it and glue it back or find something that can do the trick.