Second RAM slot for Aspire A515-41G-18SA

BogdanP
BogdanP Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hello,

Does anyone know where the second RAM slot is located for my laptop?
Every description i've read about it said is has 2 slots. After taking out the back panel, I indeed can see a "JDIMM1" and "JDIMM2", but only one of them (the second) has the two clamps that keep the RAM module in place. I could also take a peek at the other side of the motherboard and there doesn't seem to be any hidden slot there either.

My goal is to fit 2 RAM modules inside this laptop (and I got no idea how/where to fit the second one). I made a picture of the laptop's inner assemblies: https://ibb.co/hYH7Sm
Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer
    edited November 2017 Answer ✓
    Hi,
    Yes, you have only a single slot available by design, could be related to AMD Bristol Ridge platform design, TBH, really surprised ;)

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    You might want to download the upgrade scanner at crucial dot com to see if it can detect what's hooked up in there. As brummyfan2 suggests, it seems that only DIMM2 works but may support a memory module much larger than the existing BIOS firmware can actually use. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• BogdanP
    edited November 2017
    Hi! Thank you for the answers! It's really strange about those "2 slots", especially since they are both marked on the motherboard. I will get the scanner from Crucial and see what it finds. After I've read about some test results, it seems that dual channel is overrated anyway :)

Also, I think I should get into a serious talk with ACER about the misinformation regarding product descriptions...
  • BogdanP
    edited November 2017
    Here's what i found with the scanner (suffix for the scan result link: 4EBAF23F31D926C3 ):

Your Acer Aspire A515-41G

system specs as shipped

memory

• Maximum Memory:16GB
    • Slots:2 (2 banks of 1)
    *Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.
    (1) 4GB  (2) Empty

Where can this second slot be?! :/:/
  • brummyfan2
    edited November 2017
    Hi,
    Intel boards use one slot for on-board memory in some models , AMD could have done the same but left it empty and unused.

• BogdanP
    So basically it has 2 slots, but one of them isn't present? Ok, thanks again.
    I'm simply baffled by these stupid decisions and false advertising.
  • cyberbiker
    cyberbiker Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Hi,
    Yes, you have only a single slot available by design, could be related to AMD Bristol Ridge platform design, TBH, really surprised ;)

It is flaky that Acer does not provide RAM speed, number of slots and maximum amount in the notebook specifications or the user manual.
    1.  On what website did you find that diagram? 
    2.  Is the DIMM socket number always the number of RAM slots?
  • brummyfan2
    Hi,

It is flaky that Acer does not provide RAM speed, number of slots and maximum amount in the notebook specifications or the user manual.
    1.  On what website did you find that diagram? 
    2.  Is the DIMM socket number always the number of RAM slots?

Hi,
    The diagram was created by me to explain the difference between Intel board and AMD.
    Yes, DIMM socket number is the slot number.