How to get the HDD Caddy and SATA Cable to install a second drive in my Predator Helios 300?

Manny-Acer_Retired
Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

A limited quantity of Predator Helios 300 units sold via Amazon in the United States and Canada, did not include all necessary hardware to install a second drive.

These models include:

•             Predator Helios 300 (G3-571, G3-572, G3-573 and PH317 models)

How can I get the HDD Kit?

If you live in the United States or Canada, and have an Acer Predator Helios 300 that does not include the HDD Caddy and SATA cable, you can request the Kit on the following link:  https://csapps.acer.com/kit-request/#submit

If I am outside of the U.S. or Canada region, can I still get the HDD Kit sent to me?

If you purchased a US or Canada unit and had it shipped to your country, you would need to contact your local Acer Support to inquire about ordering these parts in your country https://www.acer.com/worldwide/

Can I use a freight forwarder to ship the HDD Kit to my country?

Unfortunately, we cannot mail to freight forwarder's addresses.  We need a physical mailing address in the U.S. or Canada to have it sent to, then they would be responsible for mailing the parts to your location, at your expense.

How can I install the HDD Caddy and SATA cable once I receive it?

Please follow the instructions on the following link for HDD Kit installation: https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47006

Thank you all for your interest in Acer products!

Acer-Manny  

Comments

• MQ
    MQ Member Posts: 4 New User
    Can a 15mm hard drive fit in the Helios 300? I believe I have a G3-571. I couldn't find it in the user manual what dimensions would work. It would be so helpful if you could answer this
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Hi MQ,

It has space for an M.2 SSD and 2.5 HDD only, on the following link you can find more information:
    https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/50268

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny

• Whamy22
    Whamy22 Member Posts: 34 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Hi MQ,

It has space for an M.2 SSD and 2.5 HDD only, on the following link you can find more information:

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny

hello, what specific SATA cable is needed for this 2.5" hardrive. all I know was it should have 22pins. thanks
  • sohyuyuan
    sohyuyuan Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Is it mean that I need to pay extra money to purchase the components again that should be included with the product?
  • You risk voiding your warranty if you spill a drink on your laptop or dropping it, which is much more likely to happen than breaking it when installing the SATA cable. The kit comes with the tools and instructions required to install the SATA cable safely and quite easily.

These laptops rarely even have void stickers inside of them. So unless you crack the motherboard or something, you wont void your warranty. Pretty much bulletproof to anything someone can actually do to break them other than the obvious.

You can even change the m.2 SSD and not void the warranty (according to Acer on Amazon).

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss
  • MQ
    MQ Member Posts: 4 New User
    sohyuyyuan said:
    Is it mean that I need to pay extra money to purchase the components again that should be included with the product?
    Got a 2TB 2.5" 9mm HDD and as I installed I realized I was missing the SATA cable too! Fortunately, you just contact acer support and they ship to you FREE OF CHARGE. I had to wait a bit longer to install the hard drive, but I got the cable much quicker than expected. Its a bit like a car recall but you don't send in your computer, they just send you your cable. Support was super friendly as well. While I hate that the cable was missing, it was overall not as bad a situation as it could have been. (I live in the US)
    Sean_P said:
    BEWARE: They are not telling you that if you have to pull your laptop apart to add the sata cable and hard drive caddy that was not included. YOU ARE RISKING VOIDING YOUR WARRANTY. If something goes wrong it is not covered. Why should we take the risk if your Quality Control is not up to par. Why aren't the warranties being extended to cover your screw ups?
    I didn't know that, I am not much of a tech guy so I am glad I didn't mess it up. 
    To install without the cable, go to the installation guide and look at the extended version. The picture of connecting the cable is pretty unclear, the part you should attach to is almost right below the fans. It makes a clicky sound and you just make sure the cable leads to the caddy. My hard drive is working great and I'm downloading a dozen or so games I got on Black Friday, if I can do it so can you!

Acer Support really is great, and while installing a hard drive is a bit harder than if it had the cable (literally open, plug in, and close), I don't think that it was too bad. Just check before you order your hard drive so you can install both instead of waiting, and be careful. Thanks!
  • Maybe it should have, but Acer could have also said that if it didn't come with it, you would have to purchase it. On Amazon, there is no guarantee that the SATA cable and mounting kit comes inside the laptops. It states that you have to ask for the kit so the people who had them already installed got lucky.

Scaring others about installing the kit is not going to fix whether they come with it or not. 

Skelo
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

- Dr. Seuss
  • Manny-Acer_Retired

Hi Sean_P,

Please keep in mind that if  you don’t feel comfortable with the installation instructions we have provided https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/46866, we can always receive the unit in our repair center and install the kit at no cost (U.S. & Canada only), keep in mind that it can take 7-10 business days, this way you don’t have to worry about the risk of pulling or breaking any parts in your computer and voiding the warranty, unfortunately extending the warranty is not something that will prevent anyone from voiding it by a spill, breaking a component or dropping your computer.

Thanks,

Acer-Manny

• Shahzad
    Shahzad Member Posts: 6 New User
    i am buying the laptop from uk .Acer predator helios 300. This laptop is some button are not worked. this button i,j,k,m and space so hardly worked. what is the problem
  • SergiuGeorgian
    SergiuGeorgian Member Posts: 1 New User
    If i'm from Roamania can i get the hdd cable?
  • Shahzad said:
    i am buying the laptop from uk .Acer predator helios 300. This laptop is some button are not worked. this button i,j,k,m and space so hardly worked. what is the problem
    Hi,
    You could try reinstalling the keyboard driver, go to Device manager, expand Keyboards, highlight and right click Standard PS/2 keyboard, select properties and go to Driver tab, uninstall the driver, reboot and let Windows install the driver. If that doesn't help, please try returning the laptop for a replacement or a refund from the retailer.
  • If i'm from Roamania can i get the hdd cable?
    Hi,
    If you contact Acer support in Romania, they will be able to tell you where to get these parts in your region.
    https://www.acer.com/ac/ro/RO/content/support

• ronaldst said:
    im from indonesia can i get the hdd cable?
    Hi,
    You need to contact Acer Support service in Indonesia, they may be able to help you find the caddy and the SATA cable.
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/ID/content/support
  • irishbloke
    irishbloke Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi Sean_P,

Please keep in mind that if  you don’t feel comfortable with the installation instructions we have provided https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/46866, we can always receive the unit in our repair center and install the kit at no cost (U.S. & Canada only), keep in mind that it can take 7-10 business days, this way you don’t have to worry about the risk of pulling or breaking any parts in your computer and voiding the warranty, unfortunately extending the warranty is not something that will prevent anyone from voiding it by a spill, breaking a component or dropping your computer.

Thanks,

Acer-Manny

I just spoke to someone on live chat and they said they do not do this, you have to do it yourself. Can you please clarify which it is?

Thanks,
  • Wreckful
    Wreckful Member Posts: 1 New User
    I requested the mounting kit, waited a month. No mounting kit. Called, ordered a new one, another month later still no mounting kit. Acer if you get this, PLEASE SEND ME A MOUNTING KIT! I cant find any that will work anywhere.
  • Wreckful said:
    I requested the mounting kit, waited a month. No mounting kit. Called, ordered a new one, another month later still no mounting kit. Acer if you get this, PLEASE SEND ME A MOUNTING KIT! I cant find any that will work anywhere.
    @Acer-Manny Think there is anything you can do about this?

Skelo

- Dr. Seuss