1 TB HDD Disappeared

Jacks
Jacks Member Posts: 5 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
Hello everybody, I'm hoping someone here can help me with my disappearing hard drive. I had just finished installing the acer bios R02-A2 on my G3-710 and then began installing large game files from steam. I check in a little while later and see that steam is listing a disk error and that my 1 TB hard drive is not showing up in the file explorer, disk management, or device manager. All that is listed in device manager is the SSD. Disk management lists disk 0 partition 1 with 98 MB capacity, disk 0 partition 4 with 1022 MB capacity, and the SSD (C:) drive. I have seen threads for this pc with people having the SSD disappear but supposedly the R02-A2 bios update was the solution to that I believe. So I'm a bit stumped right now and would appreciate any help.

Best Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    By reconnecting I meant unplugging and then plugging back in. Does the HDD appear in BIOS at all?
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• ven98
    Answer ✓
    Both cables.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Answers

• ven98
    Can you open disk management and take a screenshot of what you see? Post the screenshot here.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Jacks
  • ven98
    You can update the BIOS to see if that will help and you can also open the PC and reconnect the hard drive.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Jacks
    ven98 said:
    You can update the BIOS to see if that will help and you can also open the PC and reconnect the hard drive.
    I checked the interior and the hard drive is properly hooked up. Do you mean just unplug and replug it? Also the bios is updated to the current version; I think the current BIOS version might actually be the culprit here perhaps.
  • ven98
    Answer ✓
    By reconnecting I meant unplugging and then plugging back in. Does the HDD appear in BIOS at all?
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Jacks
    Yes the HDD does appear in bios, which seems to be the only place the pc is currently registering it. As far as reconnecting it, would that be unplugging the SATA cable or the power supply cable?
  • ven98
    Answer ✓
    Both cables.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Jacks
    Hahah the old unplug, plug it back in actually worked! It didn't show up even on bios on the first boot after doing the plugging, but after restarting it again the HDD is back and hopefully for good now. Thanks so much for you help ven!
  • ven98
    Sometimes the good old fashioned ways work  =). Glad it worked!
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system