Can't get into my laptop as it's asking for password then SYSTEM LOCKED in F2 screen HELP !!!

deeg25
deeg25 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I tried to reset my Windows 7 password as I had forgotten it and on instructions from various sites, entered the BIOS, made what I thought were the correct changes then things went downhill fast.  I don't know what I'm doing in BIOS but I thought others did and now, when I try to get into BIOS, it requests a password.  After about 3 tries, I get the message "SYSTEM LOCKED'  Help please = I don't know what I'm doing !!!!

Best Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

OK. Follow this video ***exactly*** to try to re-set your laptop to a factory-fresh state.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2xoMEPfiPQ

Make sure your laptop is completely turned off before trying this reset technique!

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• deeg25

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    JackE said:

OK. Follow this video ***exactly*** to try to re-set your laptop to a factory-fresh state.

Make sure your laptop is completely turned off before trying this reset technique!

Jack E/NJ 

Hiya

Thank you so much for all your help - the above solution worked a treat. Thanks again - much appreciated

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    You have probably set a BIOS password and you entered it wrong 3 times and now your BIOS is locked with no way to unlock it. I think there should be something as a backdoor password, which will let you remove the password that currently is set. The only way to obtain this password is from Acer, so you should contact them.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• JackE
    What ACER model and number do you have?   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• deeg25

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    What ACER model and number do you have?   Jack E/NJ

Acer Aspire 5560G
  • JackE
    There are BIOS security password possibilities. Supervisor, User and HDD. Which did you try to set? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• deeg25

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    There are BIOS security password possibilities. Supervisor, User and HDD. Which did you try to set? Jack E/NJ

ummm...now it's getting hard - I don't know.....sorry
  • JackE

For the moment, I suggest that you skip the F2 into the BIOS menu. Then see if you can get into the operating system with whatever password entry that you think you made into whatever possibilities the BIOS security menu offered.  Is it possible the capslock was either on or off when you tried to set the BIOS password? Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• deeg25

Tinkerer

I've managed to do a system restore so have now got Windows 7 sign in screen - which is where all the trouble started as I don't remember my password and don't know how to get another. deeg25
  • JackE

>>>I've managed to do a system restore so have now got Windows 7 sign in screen - which is where all the trouble started as I don't remember my password and don't know how to get another. deeg25 >>>

What method did you use for the system restore? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• deeg25

Tinkerer

F2 on startup then computer tried fixing something then asked if it could restore
  • JackE
    Answer ✓

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2xoMEPfiPQ

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• deeg25

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    JackE said:

Jack E/NJ 

Hiya

Thank you so much for all your help - the above solution worked a treat. Thanks again - much appreciated