[Acer Swift 3 SF314-52] Stop default language from reinstalling on restart?

ForumUser001
ForumUser001 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
My Acer Swift 3 (running Windows 10) was originally pre-installed with "English (Canada) US Keyboard".

I don't like it, because "English (Canada) US Keyboard" does NOT support Emoji hotkey (Win + .).

I instead installed the languages "English (United States) US Keyboard" and "Spanish (Argentina) Latin America Keyboard", and then I uninstalled the "English (Canada) US Keyboard" language.

But when I restart the computer, "English (Canada) US Keyboard" is reinstalled without my consent. When I go into Windows 10 > Settings > Time & Language > Region & language, and I attempt to delete the self-reinstalled "English (Canada) US Keyboard" languagae, it does not even appear in the "Languages" list. So I am forced to add "English (Canada) US Keyboard" again, but then if I delete it, it will just be reinstalled again!!!

How do I stop Acer/Windows from reinstalling "English (Canada) US Keyboard"...?

Best Answer

• ForumUser001

Tinkerer

edited November 2017 Answer ✓
    Found the solution was to apply language changes to "Welcome screen and new user account settings", because after Windows 10 setup, it seems that the undesired "English (Canada) US Keyboard" was still being used elsewhere in Windows.

Steps to apply solution, once you have already removed the unwanted input language from your "Languages" list:
    1. Open "Start Menu" (Windows keyboard key).
    2. Type "Control Panel" and hit Enter.
    3. Under "Clock, Language, and Region" select "Change input methods". (Or if you don't have the Categories in Control Panel, click the "Language" setting instead).
    4. Now in the sidebar, select "Advanced Settings".
    5. A "Region" window will pop-up. Go to the "Administrative" tab, and then click "Copy settings..." under "Welcome screen and new user accounts."
    6. Under "Copy your settings to:", make sure both of the select boxes are checked.
    7. Click "OK" in that window, and "Apply" in the previous window (if necessary).
    Now when you restart the computer, Windows will use the newly applied language settings, so it won't bring the undesired language back from the grave.

The final result will look like this screenshot, where all languages for "Current user", "Welcome screen", and "New user accounts" match: //i.imgur.com/GUPOgs7.png

Answers

• ForumUser001

Tinkerer

I have taken a screenshot to illustrate the problem:

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    This is the defult language of the windows and every time you reinstall the os the keyboard language will be the same as the windows (defult) language.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• ForumUser001

Tinkerer

edited November 2017 Answer ✓
    Found the solution was to apply language changes to "Welcome screen and new user account settings", because after Windows 10 setup, it seems that the undesired "English (Canada) US Keyboard" was still being used elsewhere in Windows.

Steps to apply solution, once you have already removed the unwanted input language from your "Languages" list:
    1. Open "Start Menu" (Windows keyboard key).
    2. Type "Control Panel" and hit Enter.
    3. Under "Clock, Language, and Region" select "Change input methods". (Or if you don't have the Categories in Control Panel, click the "Language" setting instead).
    4. Now in the sidebar, select "Advanced Settings".
    5. A "Region" window will pop-up. Go to the "Administrative" tab, and then click "Copy settings..." under "Welcome screen and new user accounts."
    6. Under "Copy your settings to:", make sure both of the select boxes are checked.
    7. Click "OK" in that window, and "Apply" in the previous window (if necessary).
    Now when you restart the computer, Windows will use the newly applied language settings, so it won't bring the undesired language back from the grave.

The final result will look like this screenshot, where all languages for "Current user", "Welcome screen", and "New user accounts" match: //i.imgur.com/GUPOgs7.png