Predator Helios 300 Performance drops after updating BIOS to 1.10

jest1245
jest1245 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi, I'm using Predator Helios 300 and recently updated BIOS to 1.10. I noticed a lot of problems after update:
1. The Laptop runs very hot. after boot up to Desktop, the fans is very loud for about 1 minute, which DOES NOT happen prior to the bios update.
2.  Laptop performance is noticeably worse after update. When I'm scrolling through websites in Google Chrome, frame drops happen quite often. It used to be smooth with rarely frame drops. It's also very laggy when I drag to change the column size when using File Explorer or Task Manager. 
3. I experienced stuttering whenever I open some programs such as Google Chrome, Battle.net, Visual studio code, which again, does not happen prior to the update. 

Are there any possible way to resolve these problems? 

Answers

• When you first turn on your laptop, check your processes in Task Manager and see what is using the most resources. Either the BIOS has some kind of incompatibility with a program, or you have a rogue program eating your resources. The newest Windows 10 update may be the culprit as well because Acer has not released program and application updates with compatibility for the Fall Update. There is not really an easy way to fix this as many things can cause this.

Also, it may be possible to reflash the BIOS 1.10 but DO NOT try to downgrade.

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss
  • jest1245
    jest1245 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Thanks for the answer. Actually, I have tried to Refresh this PC in setting which reinstall windows and remove all program. The problem still persist. Also, What do you mean by "Either the BIOS has some kind of incompatibility with a program", how can I fix it.
  • 4rVey
    4rVey Member Posts: 11 New User
    Sir so how , this was last month issue , and still havent fix yet i'm also suffering the same problem. how to fix this ?
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    If the BIOS is the culprit of this issue, you can wait until a new BIOS is released, or contact Acer and request your device to be serviced.

Before that you can go to device manager>system devices and try to roll back Intel Management Interface.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• nibbatorian
    nibbatorian Member Posts: 27 Troubleshooter
    same here i also got stuttering its also from the dynamic switching of graphics try traypwrd3 it will fix it (this software enables nvdia gpu to always run)
  • Alexscended
    Alexscended Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited September 2019
    If you need to downgrade.. You need to get the orignal files extracted by the .exe when you run the flashing utility, they are located in your personal temp in Windows.

1. Just run the regular .exe of any bios version you want to downgrade to
    2. While the window is open displaying the error of 'Your version is newer cannot flash blah blah'. Open File explorer and go to your user accounts temp folder of Windows, as described on the link. And find a folder starting with '7z'. (This is the actual temporary extract location of the Insyde Flash utility.)
    3. Copy all files to a different location (Otherwise when you close InsydeFlash the temporary folder gets deleted automatically.)
    4. Then alter the 'Platform.ini' file by changing the Flags=2 or Flags=1 to Flags=under directly under [Bios_Version_Check]
    5. Then run the H2OFFT-W.exe with Insyde icon

Source: https://awesomedetect.com/cant-find-platform-ini-file-solved-bios-update/